IGNORED

Part 4 of 5 : Symposium Main Listening and Equipment Comparison Session

Mani,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the question, but I'm going to check it with the experts to be certain. Then maybe I should start a new thread; I believe we are wandering a bit from the topic of the symposium.

Paul Stubblebine[br]Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco[br]The Tape Project, LLC[br]serious student of the audio arts

Paul,

Would very much appreciate that.

Look forward to the new topic...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I was at the computer symposium and sat in the front row. I know it is heresy, but I was unable to tell the difference among the four computers (XP, G5, MacPro, Matan's). I could hear a difference between SSD and HDD, but not between HDD and NAS. I could hear a difference between iTunes with Amarra and without. My full report is here:

http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=4102#p4102

Frank

One of the reasons why I asked whether computer audio was compared to analog master tape at the symposium is discussed in the thread 'You can't win....it all designed to make us fail' (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/You-cant-winit-all-designed-make-us-fail).

I don't think live vs. reproduced (digital or analog) is a particularly useful way to judge the performance of an audio setup - you really are comparing apples with oranges here. But comparing a digitzed version of an analog master tape to the original - through the same amplification/speakers/room - now, that's interesting.

timfidelis wrote:

"Comparisons using the tape as a reference greatly aided to verify turning off terminal services in Windows based machines was definitely a correct procedure. Referencing tape playback also made it clear SSD are presently the way to proceed."

I just seems to me such a wasted opportunity not to have done more of this.

Please understand that I think the recording session with KJ must have been facinating (I would have loved to have been there just for this)... but from a purely 'recording techniques' perspective, not from one of helping to evaluate various setups.

Mani.

PS. Still waiting for a new thread Paul...

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro