I didn't compare uncompressed FLAC to WAV as almost all report hearing no difference between AIFF and WAV

Those that do hear differences more often than not find .wav sounds the tiniest bit better, but there isn't much in it.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

FWIW, using a small sample of tracks, I could hear no difference between uncompressed FLAC and AIFF. I didn't compare uncompressed FLAC to WAV as almost all report hearing no difference between AIFF and WAV.

Those that do hear differences more often than not find .wav sounds the tiniest bit better, but there isn't much in it.

Thanks, Alex. However, given my previous post, I will stick with uncompressed FLAC because of metadata - something that is unimportant to you, but is important to me.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Thanks, Alex. However, given my previous post, I will stick with uncompressed FLAC because of metadata - something that is unimportant to you, but is important to me.

Fair enough. If I needed metadata, I may very well do the same, and tolerate such a minute difference.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

FWIW, using a small sample of tracks, I could hear no difference between uncompressed FLAC and AIFF. I didn't compare uncompressed FLAC to WAV as almost all report hearing no difference between AIFF and WAV.

Hi Darren i did not hear much difference between aiff and wav either

I copied some test tracks direct from redbook cd

Wav and uncompressed Flac

This was placed directly on to usb flash memory stick and then plugged directly into usb input on dac to eliminate external noise.

I have to confess my dac automatically up samples to a minimum 24/196, no sure if this favours flac over uncmp/flac

I will try with another dac (nos) and post my findings

I suppose there will be various reasons why some say they can or can not hear differences

Music Choice, Recording Quality, Playback equipment, Room, Hearing etc

For me comparing to live instruments and vocals is as important or more important than measuring equipment.

If someone sings or plays an instrument well it will sound awesome in a hall. But it will also sound awesome in your living room its just different experience/emotion but still enjoyable

Good a thread as any for my first post as this is an argument I get into a lot.

Current system: Redbook 44.1/16 files originally burned in FLAC & converted to WAV

'Gaming' PC with JPLAY installed(no real optimizations)

Ultra-Fi DAC41

Vintage Amps(none worth naming)

Ultrasone ED12 Headphones

I hear a very minor advantage in WAV. Just a touch less 'digital' sounding. I don't want to make the difference seem larger than it is but it's there and I keep my files in WAV because of it. Though I would sooner revert to FLAC than buy a new drive if mine were to fill up.