IGNORED

PCM and DSD

How common is it to buy 2 dacs. One for DSD and one for PCM duty. Is this a common approach?. Looking for a good DSD dac. Maybe a dac that is better at DSD than PCM?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

How much do you want to spend?

Lampi DSD only, Auralic Vega, Mytek, Teac, Chord Qute and Hugo, BMC PureDac, Ifi iDSD Nano and Mini, Geek out, etc.

About $1k to 1.5K that's geared towards DSD only.

Lampizator has an entry-level DAC coming for the European market with both DSD and PCM that goes for $1,500. Unfortunately no plans for U.S. and Canada release at this time for that one.

Could they do an entry-level DSD Only DAC? Hmm, Lampizator could tackle that I suspect.

In that price range I wouldn't really bother, as it isn't going to get you much farther than a good PCM DAC might. I used to run a Matrix X-Sabre that could do DSD and when I got my NAD M51 it ended up in the closet.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

In that price range I wouldn't really bother, as it isn't going to get you much farther than a good PCM DAC might. I used to run a Matrix X-Sabre that could do DSD and when I got my NAD M51 it ended up in the closet.

I read in Stereophile that NAD is working on a DSD solution... this could be really interesting...

In that price range I wouldn't really bother.

With DSD available in DACs that start under $200, I think most people will want to get a DAC that handles both PCM and DSD. Best to have something that can play all of the files out there!

How common is it to buy 2 dacs. One for DSD and one for PCM duty. Is this a common approach?. Looking for a good DSD dac. Maybe a dac that is better at DSD than PCM?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'd prefer one that works both. There is no such thing as s dedicated dsd dac anymore.

The one that claims to make such a dac actually uses an old sacd dac part.

fmak

I'd prefer one that works both. There is no such thing as s dedicated dsd dac anymore.

The one that claims to make such a dac actually uses an old sacd dac part.

Hmmh, my DIY DAC design can play only DSD and has completely no hardware support for PCM at all. And it doesn't use any DAC chip either...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I would also consider the Benchmark DAC 2. It does both PCM and DSD, is very well made, and sounds wonderful feeding my amp without benefit of a preamp (see sig).

Regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I would also consider the Benchmark DAC 2. It does both PCM and DSD, is very well made, and sounds wonderful feeding my amp without benefit of a preamp (see sig).

It should be noted, though, that the DAC is limited to DSD64.