IGNORED

Quality dacs with volume remote - looking for suggestions

In my 2.0 TV system, I've just switched from Audioengine 5+ speakers, which comes with a volume remote, to a pair of Quad 12L powered monitors, which doesn't. Hence, my very decent sounding Grant Fideility Tube-Dac 11 (with Russian Rocket tube) will no longer do. The market of quality dacs with a volume remote is not (yet) large and I'm looking for models I might not have come across yet. I've currently got on audition and burning in an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and an Oppo BDP-105. Since I typically use a USB stick for video/music (TV) and rarely CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, the Oppo is way overkill for my needs, and pricey given that, as well as being functionally clumsy, but it's got a very good souding dac. I'm not yet convinced the Emotiva is of similar - or sufficient - sound quality (and its remote needs some colored stickers to be seen in low light).

Any other suggestions? Anyone have experience with the Matrix Quattro (balanced) dac? I should add that I'm not interested in adding an amp and headphone capability is not a requiremnt. Thanks,

Very happy with my Benchmark DAC2 as well.

The HGC's pre-amp capabilities (volume control for two analog sources) are very useful too.

The $200 savings on the D/L models don't seem enough to warrant the loss of the analog inputs/headphone output stage.

Edit: I see it's now a $300 saving - or I was mistaken before.

Still, doesn't seem like enough of a saving to justify the loss of either of those features.

Thanks for that good suggestion. The Benchmark dac2 will have to wait for the used market to develop, as even the 2L is well beyond my price range.

Sorry for going over your budget. Not sure what it is, but maybe a used Benchmark DAC1 would be in the zone - it too has an excellent volume control.

No problem. The Grant Fidelity was $350, the Emotiva was $449 w/ discount and the Oppo is $1200 (which I think is overpriced). Those aside, the Dac1 does not appear to use a remote. At least, neither the Benchmark site nor the manual mention one.

No problem. The Grant Fidelity was $350, the Emotiva was $449 w/ discount and the Oppo is $1200 (which I think is overpriced). Those aside, the Dac1 does not appear to use a remote. At least, neither the Benchmark site nor the manual mention one.

Its the Benchmark DAC1 HDR that has the remote. Here's the webpage:

Benchmark Media Systems, Inc. - Benchmark DAC1 HDR - Digital to Analog Audio Converter