IGNORED

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog & AURALiC Setup

I heard these headphones at a local meet and decided that I had to have them. Of course with me using the AURALiC Vega already I knew that I had a start of a very good system. Also, having the ODAC I could easily take the whole thing with me if I needed some portable music elsewhere. The only thing I needed was an amp. After doing a bunch of looking and listening I decided on the AURALiC Taurus MKII.

What a fantastic combo!

whole setup.jpg

alpha dog.jpg

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

+1, I think the Alpha Dogs are one of the best values in high end head-fi audio. I use them almost as much as my LCD-3. Very open and airy sounding, though not quite as full bodied and rich as the LCD's. I'm using mine with an ALO Audio Studio Six and Auralic VEGA DAC which I've found tubes to be a good pairing with these headphones. I also like my portable rig with them very much too as they aren't too hard to drive that my FIIO X5/E12 can handle them too.

+1, I think the Alpha Dogs are one of the best values in high end head-fi audio. I use them almost as much as my LCD-3. Very open and airy sounding, though not quite as full bodied and rich as the LCD's. I'm using mine with an ALO Audio Studio Six and Auralic VEGA DAC which I've found tubes to be a good pairing with these headphones. I also like my portable rig with them very much too as they aren't too hard to drive that my FIIO X5/E12 can handle them too.

I heard the Alpha's on a Liquid Glass Tube Amp and thought they sounded stellar. Honestly though, I think they sound better on the AURALiC Taurus. I'm one happy camper.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Man you got the black ones! I love my ADs as well. I will say that I like them a lot but won't go so far as to say they threaten the supremacy of my LCD-3s, but for a closed headphone I see no reason to look further.

I also heard the ADs on Dan's Liquid Glass, that is a special amp. That is an aspirational amp for me, it trounced the WA22s that were also at the meet.

That Auralic rig is sweet, I'd like to hear that stack.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Yes, I prefer the "stealth" audio equipment. You must have been at the same meet as me in Cornelius.

Sure was. That meet was not good for me because it coincided with my moving to a new place where my main stereo really just doesn't sound good and I've now got neighbors that I can't bother with loud music, so it was natural to get my headphone rig going.

Just curious, did you get to hear the Auralic Taurus somewhere local?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Sure was. That meet was not good for me because it coincided with my moving to a new place where my main stereo really just doesn't sound good and I've now got neighbors that I can't bother with loud music, so it was natural to get my headphone rig going.

Just curious, did you get to hear the Auralic Taurus somewhere local?

Gotcha. No, I get all my AURALiC gear from Sonare Coeli.com | Esoteric Audio for the Home | Wisconsin and Midwest High-end Audio Dealer It started with one Vega....

jtwrace, did you get a chance at doing a side-by-side comparison between the Alpha Dogs and the LCD-XC's? I've never heard either(I have LCD-3's, and Sennheiser HD800's and HD 600's) and was just wondering what you're impressions are of the AD and XC phones, especially since you clearly enjoy the "Audeze sound."

Esau

jtwrace, did you get a chance at doing a side-by-side comparison between the Alpha Dogs and the LCD-XC's? I've never heard either(I have LCD-3's, and Sennheiser HD800's and HD 600's) and was just wondering what you're impressions are of the AD and XC phones, especially since you clearly enjoy the "Audeze sound."

Esau

No, just side by side with the LCD-3.