IGNORED

Holy Multiroom HiRez/DSD streaming batman...

But there isn't even a piece of UPnP control point software that comes close!!!

That's possible, but you could send a feature request to the BubbleUPnP developer... It's not rocket science to have multi-select for renderers.

And neither have music service streaming right on their GUI... :)

I guess you mean non-web-services. I think that's more licensing and certification issue. You need someone putting months of work per each service to negotiate a licensing contract, implement each service and then certify it with the service provider. If it costs like 100k€ per service in work and licensing costs, you'd need pretty huge sales figures or really rich customers (just like for example MP3 decoder license costs minimum 15000 USD/year).

Internet radios work just fine launched from the browser. I've been listening to soma.fm and di.fm even in car.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Sure. Understood again..Yep. I mean the Pandora's and Spotify's of this world..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

But you telling me Linn can't afford that? I mean they are still in LMS!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

LOL Jesus.. look at my hardware set up ATM.. like when did *that* ever stop me!

Wap, well we are going to need those deep pockets:) I need three (3) of those units to send to my team. This allows us to be on the same page so we can work together to add this feature for you. Since exaSound is not going to help our project it's going to take a lot more time, but it can be done. Enough talk though let's get started...

Jesus R

Jesus the obvious first step you could make, is you need your own piece of UPnP "control point" software into the Mini Server...

Just like I am describing in the posts above...

An app would be the best of course...

..that woud say allow the end user to select multiple Mini Servers (or non Mini Server UPnP players already owned by the end user..like my Oppo..) and swap from UPnP music source, <>to airplay, <> to Music Streaming Service, <> even to HQPlayer right from inside an SOTM iOS app.. :)

Something clean and simple like the Sonos interface (with airplay)... (but without Mulitcasting)

PM me :)

Jesus the obvious first step you could make, is you need your own piece of UPnP "control point" software into the Mini Server...

Just like I am describing in the posts above...

An app would be the best of course...

..that woud say allow the end user to select multiple Mini Servers (or non Mini Server UPnP players already owned by the end user..like my Oppo..) and swap from UPnP music source, <>to airplay, <> to Music Streaming Service, <> even to HQPlayer right from inside an SOTM iOS app.. :)

Something clean and simple like the Sonos interface (with airplay)... (but without Mulitcasting)

PM me :)

Wap, I don't specialize in that area and IMHO it's best done by the people who do.

Jesus R

PM sent :)

Let me call it how it is here..

Sonore is without doubt the leader in this Hi Rez streaming product line..

They are *way* ahead of Linn. Which is saying something.

They are leaving the competition for dead..

Even the Aires is knowhere close and is yet to even see the light of day

And Heck the Lumin is like 7K!!!

That is entirely why I started this thread thinking "hey" what if you could put 4 (or even more) Mini Servers together with something like that great little DAC from Res Labs... into some powered speakers like the Audioengines..

You would potentially wind up with a very cost effective, superb sounding and versatile (open source) multiroom set up that could play *every* format.

And being open source one could add yet another Mini Server to something like the e28 (when the Linux driver is available) or even UPnP to the Oppo players to get multichannel playback all coming together *within* a stereo multiroom platform...

It's just we need a versatile UPnP control point to make it happen...

Sonos is like 98% great Software and 2% hardware..

That's where they spend their R&D. It's on the software

That is entirely why their product has been such a success

So that is where I think Hi Rez multiroom should be heading....

The hardware is here RIGHT now.

Sonore make it. It's awesome. It clearly works. And It's out there already :)

That's all I'm saying

Anyway I am sure you've all had enough of my 2 cents :)

^ In the meantime I'll stick with what I know and am having the most success with..(PlugPlayer)

I'll push for change on that forum.. :)

Let me call it how it is here..

Sonore is without doubt the leader in this Hi Rez streaming product line..

They are *way* ahead of Linn. Which is saying something.

They are leaving the competition for dead..

Even the Aires is knowhere close and is yet to even see the light of day

And Heck the Lumin is like 7K!!!

That is entirely why I started this thread thinking "hey" what if you could put 4 (or even more) Mini Servers together with something like that great little DAC from Res Labs... into some powered speakers like the Audioengines..

You would potentially wind up with a very cost effective, superb sounding and versatile (open source) multiroom set up that could play *every* format.

And being open source one could add yet another Mini Server to something like the e28 (when the Linux driver is available) or even UPnP to the Oppo players to get multichannel playback all coming together *within* a stereo multiroom platform...

It's just we need a versatile UPnP control point to make it happen...

Sonos is like 98% great Software and 2% hardware..

That's where they spend their R&D. It's on the software

That is entirely why their product has been such a success

So that is where I think Hi Rez multiroom should be heading....

The hardware is here RIGHT now.

Sonore make it. It's awesome. It clearly works. And It's out there already :)

That's all I'm saying

Anyway I am sure you've all had enough of my 2 cents :)

I admire your unflagging enthusiasm.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

^ Well we are nearly there Kal.. we are so close I can feel it :)

LMFAO.. so I go to trial and test the Lumin app on a brand new ipad and the thing crashes without even loading properly... and this is for a 7K player!

hahahahha

I rest my case..

Time to launch a proper app.. with proper funding... That darn well works.. controlled by people who understand this is what streaming is *ALL* about !

Team, I'm recommending the following controllers because they perform well with the SOtM mini server:

DLNA/MPD mode:

1. BubbleUPNP for Android

2. Audionet for iOS, PC, and Mac

3. JRiver for PC and Mac

Squeezelite mode:

LMS for NAS, Linux, PC, and Mac

Any of the Squeezebox controllers

Jesus R

^ Cool.

Thanks for that.

DLNA/MPD mode:

1. BubbleUPNP for Android

2. Audionet for iOS, PC, and Mac

3. JRiver for PC and Mac

Just to clarify Jesus ... none of those allow you to access streaming services such as Spotify and Mog from within the application do they?

Also J.River is not a control point in the same way as it will only push from its own server (IIRC) rather than working with MinimServer?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Totally..

Playing around with different UPnP control point apps for the Oppo has got me thinking why bother..

I'm fed up with direct UPnP control of the Oppo..

Maybe Jesus idea of plugging a Mini Server into the USB port of the new 105D is a good one....

A really good one...

But check it does DSD multichannel this route. I think it does, but check with Oppo first..

And check it will do gapless this way as well.. because this just may be a way of finally doing gapless on the Oppo..

But check first. This is "no advice" because I don't know for sure...

Just to clarify Jesus ... none of those allow you to access streaming services such as Spotify and Mog from within the application do they?

Eloise

No they won't... these are sadly missing from all the available UPnP control points AFAIK.. BTW I think Miska has the reason here (expense)

Also J.River is not a control point in the same way as it will only push from its own server (IIRC) rather than working with MinimServer?

Eloise

No it's not

JPlay needs Jriver running somewhere else AFAIK..

JPlay needs Jriver running somewhere else AFAIK..

I think perhaps you mean JRemote rather than JPlay.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I think perhaps you mean JRemote rather than JPlay.

Sorry. Yes. I meant JRemote :)

Eloise

They do not support streaming services as far as I know. I was able to use the Songbird app (not sure where I got it or when) with Tunein, but the APP was not very stable. You can use playlists and stream local radio stations.

JRiver can use MinimServer's library, but IMO it's best to just use the traditional method of importing the network library.

Jesus R

Totally..

Playing around with different UPnP control point apps for the Oppo has got me thinking why bother..

I'm fed up with direct UPnP control of the Oppo..

Maybe Jesus idea of plugging a Mini Server into the USB port of the new 105D is a good one....

A really good one...

But check it does DSD multichannel this route. I think it does, but check with Oppo first..

And check it will do gapless this way as well.. because this just may be a way of finally doing gapless on the Oppo..

But check first. This is "no advice" because I don't know for sure...

Wap, the SotM mini server it will do gapless into the OPPO via USB. I just has a case of deja vu:)

Jesus R

A really good one...

According to Oppo website...

USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.

up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz DSD

So no multichannel...

Eloise

---

I think the main gap I see is the GUI mode presentation for "plug and play" remote control clients. Bubble UPNP and Kinsky are basically serial scroll lists with Android... discourages me from playing albums at the end of my library. The JRMC album cover list allows me to see an NxM album cover list allowing much faster casual browsing selection, ~5 seconds to browse all albums and make a choice. This is what a UPNP controller software interface should present

Regards,

Dave

Audio system