IGNORED

Free DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 session tracks (stereo, multi and binaural)!

DSD128 vastly improves SNR in the <100kHz region. For example, TEAC UD-501 delivers up to 100dB of SNR up to 100kHz. At PS Audio forum Ted Smith writes about his DirectStream DAC:

"Double rate DSD allows amelioration of many of the issues cited. For example the DSD noise hump in the DS doesn't go to the -40dB that Elk states, it stays less than -80dB or -90dB. Also the hump doesn't peak around 30-50kHz – in the DS it doesn't grow above -120dB until approx. 60kHz. This leaves the effective bandwidth well over that of 88.2kHz PCM (closer to that of 176.4 or 192kHz)"

DSD64 is generally noisier than DSD128 and DSD engineers like Andreas Koch, Ed Meitner, and Ted Smith recommend DSD128 for optimal performance. When you look at their DACs (and in the case of Ed Meitner, also his ADCs) you'll see that they operate at dsd 128fs (5.6448MHz).

Meitner was the first, as I recall, to use DSD128 in his products. Lately it seems to be the sweet spot in the DSD DAC market as Hiro says. DSD256 is less common and may indeed primarily end up being used for post production as Tom (TailSpn) suggests. Time will tell.

Hi Brian,

Do you know when the Five-Four music store will be up and running? I've had it in my bookmarks for over a year and have been checking it weekly and it still says "This Site is under construction."

I haven't heard anything about the 5/4 Music Store in some time. I have a feeling that idea has been dropped - especially now that we have sites like Super HiRez and Native DSD with hundreds of DSD Downloads available in each of those stores.

The 5/4 Music Store was supposed to address a gap in the market. I think the gap has now been filled by the other two sites (Super HiRez and Native DSD), not to mention others like e-Onkyo.

A good time for high resolution audio fans to be sure!

Thanks for your reply Brian. So far the only Telarc DSD recordings I have seen are a small selection of high resolution PCM versions at HDTracks. Any idea when will we see Telarc's wonderful classical, jazz and blues pure DSD recordings as DSD downloads? There were over 25 early Telarc 2-channel DSD recordings never released on SACD and over 50 Telarc DSD recordings made after they quit releasing their recordings on SACD. Altogether there may be as many as 100 Telarc DSD recordings never released on SACD, couple that with all the discontinued Telarc SACDs, that would make somewhere over 250 Telarc DSD recordings. What about the 50kHz Soundstream recordings? Since there is no modern 50kHz PCM consumer format, perhaps 88.1kHz PCM or DSD.

I believe the Telarc recordings are historically important, and they are some of the best sounding ones I've heard. I really love most of the DSD recorded jazz and blues ones.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Thanks for your reply Brian. So far the only Telarc DSD recordings I have seen are a small selection of high resolution PCM versions at HDTracks. Any idea when will we see Telarc's wonderful classical, jazz and blues pure DSD recordings as DSD downloads? There were over 25 early Telarc 2-channel DSD recordings never released on SACD and over 50 Telarc DSD recordings made after they quit releasing their recordings on SACD. Altogether there may be as many as 100 Telarc DSD recordings never released on SACD, couple that with all the discontinued Telarc SACDs, that would make somewhere over 250 Telarc DSD recordings. What about the 50kHz Soundstream recordings? Since there is no modern 50kHz PCM consumer format, perhaps 88.1kHz PCM or DSD.

I believe the Telarc recordings are historically important, and they are some of the best sounding ones I've heard. I really love most of the DSD recorded jazz and blues ones.

I agree. Telarc will be a gold mine for one of the music download sites in terms of their vast collection of DSD recordings in Stereo and Multichannel. Not to mention the DSD material from Concord Music (the parent company) and their affiliated labels: Fantasy, Stax, Volt and Rounder.

Bring it on !

Meitner was the first, as I recall, to use DSD128 in his products. Lately it seems to be the sweet spot in the DSD DAC market as Hiro says. DSD256 is less common and may indeed primarily end up being used for post production as Tom (TailSpn) suggests. Time will tell.

Brian,

The sweet spot for DSD A/D and D/A conversion (DSD128) isn't about the availability of DSD128 converters vs 256 ones.

When you actually ask engineers like Eelco Grimm, Andreas Koch, Ed Meitner, Ted Smith they are going to tell you that DSD256 is: "too fast". I'm not saying that their word is final on this issue, however at this moment, they all clearly see some downsides to using 256x.

Hi, Hiro!

This chart shows a spectrum of original DSD256 1bit output of AT-1201.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13081[/ATTACH]

This one, DSD256 1bit output of ElectrArt proprietary processing of 11.3 MHz 6 bit delta-sigma output of AT-1201.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13082[/ATTACH]

Bunpei

Hi Bunpei,

Thanks for posting these graphs. They clearly show an improvement in the SNR department achieved by ElectrArt with their FPGA implementation of DSD256. That being said, we should keep in mind that an engineer designing an A/D or D/A converter has to consider all performance aspects (SNR is one of them) when designing a DSD converter...

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "wrong" with DSD64, and how much FS does it take to store an audio signal ?
DSD128 vastly improves SNR in the <100kHz region. For example, TEAC UD-501 delivers up to 100dB of SNR up to 100kHz.
So DSD128(or higher) avoids noise problems during mixing or post production ? That makes sense. But mixing requires conversion to multi-bit data, right ? I don't see why DSD>64 would be required as a delivery format. Is anyone doing 5.1 downmixes at home ?
So DSD128(or higher) avoids noise problems during mixing or post production ?

It improves SNR whether you do post production or not.

But mixing requires conversion to multi-bit data, right ?

Nope, you can do mixing in analog domain.

Hi, Hiro!

Have you ever listened to DSD256 source, Paganini Violin Solo, recorded by Professor Yamazaki?

How did you feel about it?

In my case, I realized a definite advantage of DSD256 comparing to DSD64 or DSD128 when I listened to the source for the first time.

Hi, Hiro!

Have you ever listened to DSD256 source, Paganini Violin Solo, recorded by Professor Yamazaki?

In my case, I realized a definite advantage of DSD256 comparing to DSD64 or DSD128 when I listened to the source for the first time.

Bunpei, this thread is about listening to more DSD256 source session files. Go get them for free. Way easier than most of us hunting for the violin track (which is good in its own right, don't get me wrong...gives the tweeters a workout).

Hi, Hiro!

I haven't and since I'll most likely be getting the Hegel HD12 DSD DAC (no DSD256 support on this one), I may not hear it anytime soon. I must say, though, that the rave reviews of the DSD256 recording made with Prof. Yamasaki's discrete DSD 256fs recorder have piqued my interest in DSD256. I wonder why top engineers like Eelco Grimm, Andreas Koch, Ed Meitner and Ted Smith all see certain disadvantages in using 256fs, whereas the inventor of direct sigma delta recording, Professor Yamasaki, uses this rate in his 2nd-order sigma delta 1-bit ADC. Could the answer to the problems associated with implementation of 256fs DSD lie in using a low-order sigma delta modulator?

I hope that DSD512 (or should that be DSD256?) recording becomes the norm and from there, either the production side downconverts to DSD128 minimum or leaves that to the musicophile.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I haven't yet been able to listen to it in native DSD256 mode, but managed to listen to it in with Audirvana and the iFi iDSD, but I had to set Audirvana to do realtime DSD-to-PCM conversion. The signal chain as I understand it is therefore:

DSD256-> PCM/DXD (Audirvana) -> internal DSD256 + 6 bits as PCM for the iDSD Nano.

It is stunning. It blew me away even without being totally native DSD256 as compared to my previous solo violin reference (Emily Palen from BlueCoast Records).

Forced to wait until I managed to listen to it in fully native DSD256 mode (my DAC is capable, but there's something not yet ready from the player/OS driver perspective).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hi, Hiro!

It could just be a technically superb recording that would have sounded the same if recorded in DSD128! One data point does not confirm a trend, though I am not dismissing what you say outright.

I do know that I have 1 song in DSD128 that takes up half a gig of storage and shudder how much space a typical DSD256 album will take, ie 7gb????

So... there is now good time and place to ask - is in reality such lossless encoder as for dsd64?

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

So... there is now good time and place to ask - is in reality such lossless encoder as for dsd64?

Maldur,

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you inquiring if there's a lossless compression encoder as currently used for DSD64 on SACD (DST) that could be used for higher DSD rates?

I don't think that such an encoder exists at the moment, and so my follow-up question would be, couldn't such an encoder be developed? A "FLAC" for all kinds of DSD formats.

Hiro,

Your understanding is correct 100% :).

my follow-up question would be, couldn't such an encoder be developed? A "FLAC" for all kinds of DSD formats.

Good question, I think the possible answer needs a different topic, not this about "free session tracks".

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

I not experimented yet, but maybe a Wavpack lossless can compress DSD DoP wav files (?)... I need some time now and I can tell the results.

I not experimented yet, but maybe a Wavpack lossless can compress DSD DoP wav files (?)... I need some time now and I can tell the results.

I would be surprised if it worked without any update to the encoder, but it probably wouldn't harm to give it a try.

Brian,

The sweet spot for DSD A/D and D/A conversion (DSD128) isn't about the availability of DSD128 converters vs 256 ones.

When you actually ask engineers like Eelco Grimm, Andreas Koch, Ed Meitner, Ted Smith they are going to tell you that DSD256 is: "too fast". I'm not saying that their word is final on this issue, however at this moment, they all clearly see some downsides to using 256x.

It's an interesting area to watch. Note that Mytek is now taking pre-orders on a DSD256 DAC (Manhattan) for the home + audiophile market. A Mytek pro version with 8 channels of DSD256 based on the new Mytek DAC technology is likely to come in the future.

Intriguing! :)

...I do know that I have 1 song in DSD128 that takes up half a gig of storage and shudder how much space a typical DSD256 album will take, ie 7gb????

Yes, even larger than that. I have a few DSD128 albums, for example Joakim Milder's Consensus on Opus 3 is 1 hour and 7 minutes long and that works out to 5.7GB. If it was at DSD256 that would be 11.4GB

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa, we at NativeDSD are knocking on all the usual suspects (as well as boutiques) doors, including Concord. Keep the faith.

I agree. Telarc will be a gold mine for one of the music download sites in terms of their vast collection of DSD recordings in Stereo and Multichannel. Not to mention the DSD material from Concord Music (the parent company) and their affiliated labels: Fantasy, Stax, Volt and Rounder.

Bring it on !

Thanks Ted and Brian, fingers crossed.

I still love music.

Teresa