IGNORED

Offline upsampling XLD-SoX

Viola

Yes--I guess I need to try this to, and see how it compares to using the Isotope resampling in A+. Second thought is "if it does sound better, I'd have an awful lot of re-ripping to do (2k+ discs), not to mention much more drive space." I hadn't even noticed it in XLD before.

Yes--I guess I need to try this to, and see how it compares to using the Isotope resampling in A+. Second thought is "if it does sound better, I'd have an awful lot of re-ripping to do (2k+ discs), not to mention much more drive space." I hadn't even noticed it in XLD before.

SoX resampling only appeared in XLD with the update of a month ago, as far as I know.

You won't need to re-rip if your current rips are straight CD rips to 44.1 kHz lossless files. Just create upsampled conversions from these files. Always keep the straight rips for possible future use, though.

SoX resampling only appeared in XLD with the update of a month ago, as far as I know.

You won't need to re-rip if your current rips are straight CD rips to 44.1 kHz lossless files. Just create upsampled conversions from these files. Always keep the straight rips for possible future use, though.

Brilliant! (And I fully agree about keeping the original lossless rips—if nothing else, these are far more compact as archived back-ups.) At close to 6 x more storage space, I might also be much more selective about the recordings Idid this with. Will plan on some serious listening this weekend.

• 1 month later...
Brilliant! (And I fully agree about keeping the original lossless rips—if nothing else, these are far more compact as archived back-ups.) At close to 6 x more storage space, I might also be much more selective about the recordings Idid this with. Will plan on some serious listening this weekend.

Another question on XLD. As part of the new SoX implementation it is possible to rip to 24 or 32 Bit but maintain 44.1 sampling rate. Would anyone expect play-back ( without up-sampling ) to be improved? Up-sampling could be done later with Pure Music, Audirvana + etc. if required. So my general question is should I be ripping my 16 bit CD's to 24 or 32 bits even if I don't want to up-sample?

Digital; Mac Mini, DACmini, CEC TL51X, DEQX Preamp/Processor, Audionote 300B, Tannoy Westminster, Janis Subwoofer[br]Analogue; Rega RP9, Denon DL103, Graham Slee ERA Gold, Bob\'s Step Up Devices,

Another question on XLD. As part of the new SoX implementation it is possible to rip to 24 or 32 Bit but maintain 44.1 sampling rate. Would anyone expect play-back ( without up-sampling ) to be improved? Up-sampling could be done later with Pure Music, Audirvana + etc. if required. So my general question is should I be ripping my 16 bit CD's to 24 or 32 bits even if I don't want to up-sample?

No, I wouldn't expect playback improvement. Therefore, no, I don't recommend you rip CDs to other than 16-bit files.

However, my opinion, or that of anyone else, doesn't really matter. There's an easy way for you to discover whether you will hear any improvement - try it and listen.

By the way, have you ideas of why an improvement may be possible?

well finally got an expert to listen - my wife! - totally disinterested in hi-fi but a singer. Got her to blindly judge 24 and 32 bit rips against 16. She repeatedly preferred th 16 bit original. Up bitting seemed to add something like reverb that may be initially appealing but ultimately annoying.

Digital; Mac Mini, DACmini, CEC TL51X, DEQX Preamp/Processor, Audionote 300B, Tannoy Westminster, Janis Subwoofer[br]Analogue; Rega RP9, Denon DL103, Graham Slee ERA Gold, Bob\'s Step Up Devices,