IGNORED

Apple Lightning Cable Headphone Specification

Many questions surround this development but it's really interesting and may be a peek at where Apple is heading.

Support for stereo 48 kHz audio is one of the specs.

This must mean DACs embedded into the headphones?

Apple introduces MFi specs for Lightning cable headphones, support arriving in future iOS update | 9to5Mac

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One of the great features of the Line Out Dock, whether 30-pin or Lightning (with 30-pin DAC adapter) is the lack of volume control at that Line Out port. If any of this new tech were to insert adjustable volume from the i-device itself to that port, it would effectively end its status as a true Line Out. I am aware of several USB mini-DACs that have peculiar arrangements with their headphone jacks and various computer volume settings, but at least some of those DACs such as the HRT Microstreamer have a separate jack for Line Out. It would be a real shame if Apple i-devices were to lose the volume-less output at their LOD ports.

It this anything more than formalising the iStreamer kind of device but built into headphone?

Looks to be more related to a development of the certification programme more than anything really new.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It this anything more than formalising the iStreamer kind of device but built into headphone? Looks to be more related to a development of the certification programme more than anything really new.

I had an iStreamer - horrible experience. You need the i-Device, cable to iStreamer, iStreamer, cable to amp, amp, power for amp (unless built in), and power for iStreamer.

For a small portable device like the iPhone to sit amongst such a kludge is a travesty. The iStreamer isn't so good that some small headphone amps without DACs can't compete with its sound, with far less cables and devices.

I ran my iStreamer with a Mophie battery pack to eliminate the AC mains noise, but that adds more stuff to the pile.

Oops - forgot to note the DAC needed in the headphone to convert the signal from the Lightning port. Apple already sells the adapters separately - in the U.S. it's $30 for the little plug and $40 for the plug with the 6-inch cable. But then, you'd not only need the (cheap) adapter in the headphone, but you'd need a volume control in the headphone. I don't see any of this being better quality than the cheap chips already inside the i-Devices.

And I don't see headphone makers using better Apple-compatible DACs, since those have to be licensed for Apple's proprietary digital output at the LOD.