IGNORED

USB & MIDI audio interface for TC Electronics + iMac/GarageBand..

Hi guys

i'm afraid this might not be the best place to post this, i don't even know how to title this right but hope i'll succeed to explain myself in the text below :

i have an iMac 27'' which, among other things, i use to record stuff in GarageBand & as i become a bit better at it, will go into Logic X…

then i have a Zoom B3 bass effects unit which also works as a USB interface to input my bass/guitar/other into my recording software & it couldn't be any easier to operate + it comes w/ this very basic yet extremely intuitive & very useful effects/patch editor

recently i bought a TC Electronic Nova System 'cause i fell in love with it's Choruses, Reverbs, Delays, etc….sonically it's definitely in another league when compared to the Zoom B3 ! HOWEVER…..it NEVER even occurred to me it couldn't be connected via USB to my iMac as the Zoom + it's a bit of an handful to import/export presets or edit them via the iMac & as far as i could determine, one needs a MIDI to USB interface & you need a program someone made ( NOT TC.. ) as mentioned here :Nova "Editor" (Page 1) to do any of the above + update the Nova's firmware, etc….

now, what i would like was to get something which would work BOTH as a MIDI to USB interface between the TC Elec. Nova & my iMac AND would act as a regular audio/USB interface to allow me to record

can anyone PLEASE shed some light on what would be a NICE MIDI to USB & audio to USB interface ? i know NOTHING about MIDI, am dreading dealing with it but can't help feel that if it's the only way to access my Nova's well….what can i do ?

i just want a gizmo i can plug my Nova into it's MIDI, then plug into my iMac via USB to import/export, edit/tweak & reorder my presets & when all that is done, use as a simple audio to USB interface to record my stuff

PLEASE write your answers as if addressing an idiot because, that's pretty much how it is …LOL…i'm at a TOTAL LOSS HERE & any help/suggestions WILL BE most appreciated

thank you very much for your time & patience

Nuno

can anyone PLEASE shed some light on what would be a NICE MIDI to USB & audio to USB interface ? i know NOTHING about MIDI, am dreading dealing with it but can't help feel that if it's the only way to access my Nova's well….what can i do ?

I think you have two possible choices: get a Midi Interface (Midi only is inexpensive), use it to preset your Nova System, patch it in front of your Zoom B3, switch off all effects and just use it as a recording interface. It's cheap to try before making a choice, because you could easily set the effects on your Nova System by hand.

A more comfortable solution would involve getting a new audio interface; in that case you could sell your Zoom B3, because it would become superfluous.

There are multiple manufacturers and models on the market. In looking for a suitable interface I would select one with 24 bit /96 kHz sampling capability. To interface with your iMac you could use USB or Firewire. My personal favourites are Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 at the low end and RME Fireface UC in the meduim segment, but that is because I'm using Linux. For Mac you have a broader choice.

I would suggest going to a large music web site, e.g. Sweetwater. On the left hand side there is a filter, set A/D resolution to "24-bit/96kHz" and Midi I/O to In/Out. This will give you an idea of what is available.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I think you have two possible choices: get a Midi Interface (Midi only is inexpensive), use it to preset your Nova System, patch it in front of your Zoom B3, switch off all effects and just use it as a recording interface. It's cheap to try before making a choice, because you could easily set the effects on your Nova System by hand.

A more comfortable solution would involve getting a new audio interface; in that case you could sell your Zoom B3, because it would become superfluous.

There are multiple manufacturers and models on the market. In looking for a suitable interface I would select one with 24 bit /96 kHz sampling capability. To interface with your iMac you could use USB or Firewire. My personal favourites are Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 at the low end and RME Fireface UC in the meduim segment, but that is because I'm using Linux. For Mac you have a broader choice.

I would suggest going to a large music web site, e.g. Sweetwater. On the left hand side there is a filter, set A/D resolution to "24-bit/96kHz" and Midi I/O to In/Out. This will give you an idea of what is available.

I have an earlier version of that TC unit, and it is pretty incredible. I go through phases of only using stomp boxes (designing and building them is second only to hi fi stuff in my personal fun dept.), and then I'll switch to the rack set up for awhile.

in any case, Iago is spot on, and I'd suggest you call Sweetwater after you look on their site. Unless you decide to buy used, their prices are good, and they have a truly knowledgable staff. Don't be afraid of midi. You may even end up liking it, once you get comfortable with it--I use a large midi foot controller with the TC that allows me to set up presets in banks, and access controlling the parameters on the TC while I'm playing (uh, "making noise" might be more fair...)