IGNORED

New Zuma CAPs version Extra Small Please

Thanks to Andrew at smallgreencomputer.com. He built me a full featured CAPS Zuma server in a small footprint (pictures below). It is built in a HD-Plex H1S chassis (8.77L 10.39W 2.5H). Intel i7-4770S 3.10GHz, 16 GB Ram, 250GB SSD Drive, SOTM USB card. It's not a choice on Andrew's website, but I would definitely recommend this build.

Couple of things. I used Andrew, as opposed to self building, because he had this specific build tested out for heat which would be a key potential issue which these capabilities and this small a build and the markup small enough not to take the risk. The other thing is that HD-Plex just came out with a relatively reasonably priced Linear Power Supply ($265) for this case and provides enough power for this build (Fanless ATX Power Supply - HDPLEX INC) and has dual 19VDC and 12VDC outputs. Supposedly the next version will have a 5V DC output as option. Anyone know a decent voltage regulator so I can convert the 12VDC to 6-9VDC to power the SOTM card. But I love having a paired/tested LPS solution.

Here are a couple of pictures next to my IPAD Air.

20140602_121945.jpg

20140602_121955.jpg

VERY nice! Would love to get more info on price and delivery. Please PM. Thank you!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

VERY nice! Would love to get more info on price and delivery. Please PM. Thank you!

Sent you PM with Andrew Gillis with smallgreencomputer.com contact info. Let me know if you have any issues reaching him or questions for me. Enjoy!

tboooe,

One other thing. You might want to consider not getting the SOTM USB card pre installed. I am thinking about replacing mine with a JCAT or PPA card because those cards are probably at the same level and have 2 USB ports which I could use. However, the PPA card needs power so that is an issue. But I do think both those cards should fit in computer.

I am currently doing a build based upon this H1S chassis. The quality, fit, and finish is amazing. It goes together like a Swiss watch. I do not understand how they can do it for the price. Everything fits perfectly. There are even extra parts to accommodate various scenarios. Larry at HD-Plex answers emails very quickly.

It is a very small case but if that is what you need it would be hard to imagine a better case. I used a recommended board which I am sure eased my installation woes a lot. I also pre-assembled the heat pipes and got them properly adjusted in place before using the heat sink paste. I then re-assembled using paste once the pipes were relaxed their ideal position. BTW. HEAT sink paste cleans up perfectly using regular old isopropyl alcohol so do not be intimidated by reports of making a mess.

PS. They also have larger cases...

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Nice CAPS! I wanted to build one with Intel I3 or I5 and 120GB SSD in either silver Streacom or HD-Plex case. My plan is to run Windows 7 and JRiver.

Do you consider to add Slim Blu-ray drive to rip video too? What Operating System will you install?

tboooe,

One other thing. You might want to consider not getting the SOTM USB card pre installed. I am thinking about replacing mine with a JCAT or PPA card because those cards are probably at the same level and have 2 USB ports which I could use. However, the PPA card needs power so that is an issue. But I do think both those cards should fit in computer.

You can order the micro ZUMA with no SOtM card if you want. I still include the (custom) 12v internal cable. So you can use another type of card that requires internal power.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

• 3 weeks later...
You can order the micro ZUMA with no SOtM card if you want. I still include the (custom) 12v internal cable. So you can use another type of card that requires internal power.

Andrew,

Any thoughts if JPLAY and/or paul pang card will fit in this machine? Actually paul pang one will have power issues as well as it needs external power so you need to take that into account as well. My main reason is so I can have multiple dacs hooked up to server as same time without changing wires.

The Pang card doesn't need external power - there is no power connector externally.

You could run cables through the case if you really wanted to power it externally but I normally power it internally via the picoPSU.

I can see where the confusion comes from on his site as he mentions powering it externally.

Here are two pics of the nearly complete HD-Plex H1S. You can get an idea from the SSD how compact it is.

CPU is only 35 watts and the heat sink and pipes are room temp...

One drawback with this ASRock mobo is that there is no room for a slot on the back for an add-on USB card.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Andrew,

Any thoughts if JPLAY and/or paul pang card will fit in this machine? Actually paul pang one will have power issues as well as it needs external power so you need to take that into account as well. My main reason is so I can have multiple dacs hooked up to server as same time without changing wires.

Make sure the MOBO Andrew is using is compatible with the JCAT. I had an issue with a MOBO and the JCAT card as have others. If you are considering the JCAT which has become my favorite make sure it works. Maybe Marcin could send a card to Andrew for testing.

Make sure the MOBO Andrew is using is compatible with the JCAT. I had an issue with a MOBO and the JCAT card as have others. If you are considering the JCAT which has become my favorite make sure it works. Maybe Marcin could send a card to Andrew for testing.

Problems you mention are size or software related ?

I have recently replaced my SOtM card with the Jcat in my CAPS V3 Lagoon project, and I'm now complementing a new build based on an i7 processor.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

LPS for this case is out!!! Anyone try it yet? From the picture which I am not sure if accurate, is it basically in the same case as the computer? If this LPS works well, then this solution, case+LPS, is going to be my new default configuration.

I use this case with Paul's USB card.

USB card fits perfectly with a PCI riser card (you can order it online from HDPlex) however you can't put the screw on right back side for the top plate. It extends slightly from the corner.

I power the usb card with my LPSU's 5V output.

HdPlex H1.S Audio Pc | WS 2012 R2 w/ AO 1.30x | PPA USB Card | ​Custom Linear PSU | T+A Dac 8 | Atlas XLR | Vincent SV-238 MK | Townshend Isolda | KEF LS-50

The JCAT should work fine with this board. I'll see if I can get one for testing.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

• 3 weeks later...
I use this case with a Asus Q87T, 4670T, msata ssd for OS and a SOtM TXUSB supplying power for both motherboard/usb card via a Teradak LPSU with no issues whatsoever.

Does this board takes 12v DC or 19v DC? Please let me know. Thanks.

I use this case with a Asus Q87T, 4670T, msata ssd for OS and a SOtM TXUSB supplying power for both motherboard/usb card via a Teradak LPSU with no issues whatsoever.

I am trying to build my Audio PC with this MB, this board provides some advantages like no Pico power connection, mSATA drive option, etc. I have some questions, if I can get some feedback:

1. I intend to use a mSATA instead of SATA with 5v Anker power, i.e. separate power for the SSD, whereas mSATA will plug in directly to the board. This is good or bad.

2. This board needs 19v, I will have to get an LPS or battery power from Red Wine at that voltage. 19v does not seem common, 12v is rather common, is that true, does that affect the SQ in anyway?

3. Does anyone know of any other similar board with 12v power.

4. I intend to install Jplay JCAT USB card, has anyone tried that card with this board?

Thanks.

There is a high probability that it will work fine with 12V. The input voltage just goes into switching converters on the MB. These usually don't care exactly what the voltage is. For a given power draw as you decrease the voltage the current increases (to keep the power constant). The manufacturers usually run them with supplies on the higher end of the voltage range because they need lower current supplies that way. But that doesn't mean you HAVE to use that voltage.

I do not have this exact motherboard, but for others I have been able to run them on 12V even though the manufacturer supplied PS was much higher.

John S.

• 3 months later...