IGNORED

copying files from one HD to another (Mac)

I have SuperDuper! as my backup program so this is what I did so I can swap my HD out for a SSD in my Mini.

First, prepare the new drive (typically in a drive dock or similar) by partitioning it:

* Start Disk Utility

* Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar

* Click the Partition tab (if it doesn't appear, you selected the volume, not the drive hardware above it)

* Use Disk Utility's controls to divide the drive as needed, even as a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately

* Click Options

* Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page

* Click Partition.

Then, make a full "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" to the new drive.

Rename the drive to have the *same* name as the original.

Now, shut down and swap the drives.

Power back up -- you'll notice it'll take a while to start (it's looking for the original drive). When it finally boots, open System Preferences and select the new drive as the startup drive in the Startup Disk preference pane.

That's all there is to it! Note that some copy protected programs might notice that the new drive is different than the old one and may need to be 'reactivated'.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos