IGNORED

Which mac mini?

Hello all,

I have a music-dedicated mac mini. Config is:

Hardware:

- Mac mini '09: 2.66MHz Core 2 Duo, 8gb RAM, 250gb SSD

- OWC FW800 enclosure with WD 7200rpm 2tb drive (1/2 full of music)

- Stock power supplies

- Lightspeed USB (split, 0.7m) to EmmLabs XDS1v2 (same as Dac2x from DAC standpoint)

Software:

- Mavericks 10.9.3 - minimal install

- Using Cocktail with all conceivable optimizations

- Audirvana+ (1.5.12) currently with iTunes (I've found standalone to sound marginally better but it's too cumbersome to use)

Question is how to improve the sound:

1- Would I be better off with a newer mac mini?

2- Linear PS?

3- Other tweaks I'm unaware of?

Thx!

Miguel

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I'd guess that you would be more likely to improve the sound of your system by looking at other parts of it. What is your amp. speakers, dac etc?

Amp: Audio Note Kondo Ongaku

Speakers: Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

DAC: EmmLabs XDS1v2 (same as Dac2x from DAC standpoint)

Mac->DAC: Lightspeed USB (split)

XDS1->Ongaku: Kondo KSL-LPz (silver)

Ongaku->Speakers: Kondo KSL-SPz (silver)

(speakers on custom Symposium Super Plus platforms)

I've spent a lot of time on setup, killing first reflections, speaker separation and alignment, etc.

The main reason I started the thread is because I still feel the sound played from CDs and SACDs (which use the same exact DAC stage) still has a more organic feel to me than when playing the same CD ripped to a file (XLD, AIFF, etc etc).

I cannot put my finger on what that is - I can just tell you that I cannot bring myself to stop playing a good piece on CD (cuz I'm having so much fun) vs not having the same level of enjoyment from the file-based system.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

You have a fantastic system. First a question - do you have a 2.66 MHz or the 2.26 MHz?

If you look at what Empirical Audio says and assuming you have the 2.26 then you have the best mac mini.

I use Audirvana, but Steve recommends Amarra - maybe worth a try?

I don't know the EmmLabs equipment, but from my own experience and what I have read you should try a linear power supply.

Whilst I have not tried it there are a few topics on here regarding ram disks etc that sounds very interesting.answer may be in

I wonder- do you have any DSD capability? If so, how does DSD sound to you compared to AIFF or another PCM format?

This is a tad off topic, but DSD - even DSD transcoded on the fly from AIFF - makes all the difference in the world here. That may be because it is minimizing some fault in the system, or emphasizing some good point. But whatever it is, I can listen to DSD for hours on end here with no fatigue. We get so involved with the music that full albums seem to play in no time at all. We are constantly surprised, and a little disappointed when they are over.

Even old albums where I am constantly aware of the recordings shortcomings, like Louie Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland are utterly involving. Even if the Album is named incorrectly - Louis did not like to be called "Louie" at all. :)

Amp: Audio Note Kondo Ongaku

Speakers: Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

DAC: EmmLabs XDS1v2 (same as Dac2x from DAC standpoint)

Mac->DAC: Lightspeed USB (split)

XDS1->Ongaku: Kondo KSL-LPz (silver)

Ongaku->Speakers: Kondo KSL-SPz (silver)

(speakers on custom Symposium Super Plus platforms)

I've spent a lot of time on setup, killing first reflections, speaker separation and alignment, etc.

The main reason I started the thread is because I still feel the sound played from CDs and SACDs (which use the same exact DAC stage) still has a more organic feel to me than when playing the same CD ripped to a file (XLD, AIFF, etc etc).

I cannot put my finger on what that is - I can just tell you that I cannot bring myself to stop playing a good piece on CD (cuz I'm having so much fun) vs not having the same level of enjoyment from the file-based system.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You have a fantastic system. First a question - do you have a 2.66 MHz or the 2.26 MHz?

If you look at what Empirical Audio says and assuming you have the 2.26 then you have the best mac mini.

I use Audirvana, but Steve recommends Amarra - maybe worth a try?

I don't know the EmmLabs equipment, but from my own experience and what I have read you should try a linear power supply.

Whilst I have not tried it there are a few topics on here regarding ram disks etc that sounds very interesting.answer may be in

I have the 2.66MHz one. Other than this it is the same one Steve mentions (macmini3,1 is the overall model number). I had seen the Empirical Audio comments which is why I didn't buy a new mini.

As for Amarra, it doesn't do DSD so that's a killer for me (I rip my own SACDs as well). I own Amarra and PureMusic as well, I find Audirvana still being the most well rounded and operationally flawless of the three. I bought all three b/c I like to encourage competition to get the best player possible.

system pics

I wonder- do you have any DSD capability? If so, how does DSD sound to you compared to AIFF or another PCM format?

This is a tad off topic, but DSD - even DSD transcoded on the fly from AIFF - makes all the difference in the world here. That may be because it is minimizing some fault in the system, or emphasizing some good point. But whatever it is, I can listen to DSD for hours on end here with no fatigue. We get so involved with the music that full albums seem to play in no time at all. We are constantly surprised, and a little disappointed when they are over.

Even old albums where I am constantly aware of the recordings shortcomings, like Louie Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland are utterly involving. Even if the Album is named incorrectly - Louis did not like to be called "Louie" at all. :)

Yes, I have DSD64 capability (which is why Amarra is out of the question). I also rip my own SACDs (PS3 and all that junk).

My DAC transcodes everything fed to it to DSD128 (PCM or DSD64) so I couldn't tell you what the diff is b/c I never listen to DAC'ed PCM directly. I can tell you though that DSD sounds more relaxed, deeper soundstaged, than say 192/24. It is also lower volume for some reason. To be honest, you might or might not like the DSD presentation compared to a good 192/24, which tends to be more "biting" or "in your face" for lack of better words...

Back to this topic - people generally agree that CD and SACD sound better once encoded in file (as compared to playing the disk) and they argue that this might be due to lower jitter from the file-based source. I just don't find this to be the case. Maybe my player is just purely awesome... Or maybe my computer-based system needs work - hence the question.

system pics

By the way... On Empirical Audio they mention that the AC supply and ground should be the same for the DAC and computer (I just read this actually).

I have in fact explicitly separated these two, choosing a different plug (and specifically different mains supply circuit phase) for the computer/hard drive - hoping to avoid PS noise contaminating the amp's supply.

The Ongaku is as minimal a design as you can imagine - no semiconductors anywhere - even AC rectification is done with tubes. So I imagine some high frequency gunk will go right through (but I don't know what for a fact).

Maybe I should try putting the DAC on the computer circuit, or the computer on the amp/DAC circuit...

system pics

By the way... On Empirical Audio they mention that the AC supply and ground should be the same for the DAC and computer (I just read this actually).

This technique reduces cable length on the ground, in an effort to 'make a shorter ground' from the computer using the AC supply ground rather than the shield in USB cabling.

Even if you use a different phase, the return line in the neutral is the same for both phases, and as such contains the noise from the devices that are connected, and usually the neutral is distorted. You can check this with a meter, the voltage between the neutral and ground should be close to zero, maybe few hundreds of millivolts. If you end up with more than about 2Vac upwards, it's time to look at professional assistance. Either their is gross distortion on the neutral, or the neutral is not grounded properly. This is normal for a TN earthing system, that's how the system works works but undesirable for audio.

The drawing shows (sorry it's in German) how just two components plugged into a power strip can have differing voltages at the equipment with respect to ground. The little red paths of noisy currents we try to avoid, but some DACs pass this through to the audio system via the RCA leads, or from a wall wart on the AC side, or both.

ground loops 1 DE.jpg

As described by Exasound in this post at CA, DAC manufacturer's designs that accept the fact that noise will enter the DAC, and mitigate the noise so it's out of the way entirely. The Meitner and the Playback Designs DACs are designed in a similar fashion, (my guess) I haven't heard any chatter from the MPD-3 ever that's sourced from the computer.

Back to the topic, if you upgrade to a new i7 mini, there's enough grunt to enable PCM2DSD conversion by Jriver on the fly. I find this technique feeds the DAC with DSD at all times, and poorly recorded PCM is not as painful, and in fact easier to listen, rather than the DAC perform this function. In some ways it depends on the material on how great the effect functions, another way to put it. Another plus, is there's no relay switching time between different sample rates.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi Miguel,

What you are describing is very similar to what I had. It is relatively easy to get very good sound out of a CD player, but it is surprisingly hard to do the same out of a computer. And it is not so much the audio file itself and bit perfect accuracy of reproduction, but the high frequency switching noises from chips, switching PSU, PWM etc. that impact your enjoyment without listening fatigue. To me it actually hurts my ears, I get irritated and it is a relief when turned off when not optimized. This will happen whether it is PCM or DSD.

If you don't quiet down your computer source from electrical noise you will actually be more affected if you have very good equipment downstream.

You can check out Mac CAPS threads from lechu and myself for ideas. I had to go relatively overboard to have a mini that was not unlistenable, but I think I may be more sensitive (crazy?) to digititus than others are.

The first thing I would try since you are using an USB DAC is an IFI iUSB, as USB is an excellent carrier of this electrical noise. On another thread ( iPurifier thread) I shared some scope pics so you see the impact.

Reducing background processes as much as possible is next. Check out the CAD threads, but be careful and have a backup.

Then getting rid of the switching PSU and externally powering the harddrives.

For me getting rid of the fan and have passive cooling was as big as externally powering the harddrives, if not more. But now you are getting into DIY territory if you are comfortable with it.

There are many that did not have the experience I have had with a mini, so in the end trust your ears.

Cheers

This technique reduces cable length on the ground, in an effort to 'make a shorter ground' from the computer using the AC supply ground rather than the shield in USB cabling.

Even if you use a different phase, the return line in the neutral is the same for both phases, and as such contains the noise from the devices that are connected, and usually the neutral is distorted. You can check this with a meter, the voltage between the neutral and ground should be close to zero, maybe few hundreds of millivolts. If you end up with more than about 2Vac upwards, it's time to look at professional assistance. Either their is gross distortion on the neutral, or the neutral is not grounded properly. This is normal for a TN earthing system, that's how the system works works but undesirable for audio.

The drawing shows (sorry it's in German) how just two components plugged into a power strip can have differing voltages at the equipment with respect to ground. The little red paths of noisy currents we try to avoid, but some DACs pass this through to the audio system via the RCA leads, or from a wall wart on the AC side, or both.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12804[/ATTACH]

As described by Exasound in this post at CA, DAC manufacturer's designs that accept the fact that noise will enter the DAC, and mitigate the noise so it's out of the way entirely. The Meitner and the Playback Designs DACs are designed in a similar fashion, (my guess) I haven't heard any chatter from the MPD-3 ever that's sourced from the computer.

Back to the topic, if you upgrade to a new i7 mini, there's enough grunt to enable PCM2DSD conversion by Jriver on the fly. I find this technique feeds the DAC with DSD at all times, and poorly recorded PCM is not as painful, and in fact easier to listen, rather than the DAC perform this function. In some ways it depends on the material on how great the effect functions, another way to put it. Another plus, is there's no relay switching time between different sample rates.

Ok, understood. I've been fairly careful about ground loops. I have the mac mini (and a top and bottom steel weights on it, see my pics) grounded to the same ground as the DAC. The mac mini stock supply has a cheater on it to float the ground, the HD power supply does not have a ground pin.

system pics

You can check out Mac CAPS threads from lechu and myself for ideas. I had to go relatively overboard to have a mini that was not unlistenable, but I think I may be more sensitive (crazy?) to digititus than others are.

The first thing I would try since you are using an USB DAC is an IFI iUSB, as USB is an excellent carrier of this electrical noise. On another thread ( iPurifier thread) I shared some scope pics so you see the impact.

Reducing background processes as much as possible is next. Check out the CAD threads, but be careful and have a backup.

Then getting rid of the switching PSU and externally powering the harddrives.

For me getting rid of the fan and have passive cooling was as big as externally powering the harddrives, if not more. But now you are getting into DIY territory if you are comfortable with it.

There are many that did not have the experience I have had with a mini, so in the end trust your ears.

Cheers

Thanks. Have done all possible software optimizations, I think. Additionally I have a steel block config that works both as a RF shield and heatsink, so I don't get the fan running often. I will actually try and find a fan speed up to check that.

I'm intrigued by the iUSB since my DAC requires bus power. I am assuming I can just plug the power leg of the Lightspeed cable to the power leg of the iUSB without any additional USB connections.

Linear power supplies for this old mac mini is something I might consider but a bit reluctant since that supply would not work with a new mac mini which I might end up getting.

Thx!

system pics

Sorry, but having conducted multiple, s/w and h/w variable-controlled face-offs between 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 Mac minis, both with and without external linear supplies, I can assure you that Steve Nugent's advice needs some serious updating. I have everyone of the above year minis in my house--and had my choice of which put in the music rack and which to give to wife/kids/my desk. The 2009--even with 8GB, pulled wifi/bluetooth, and an external linear supply--came in last.

YMMV,

Alex C.

Alex, can you please advise which Mac Mini or Macbook you think is the best? I use 2009 Mac Mini (dedicated for music playback) and am considering to get Macbook Pro because I can easily replace stock PSU for linear power supply.

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

Ok, understood. I've been fairly careful about ground loops. I have the mac mini (and a top and bottom steel weights on it, see my pics) grounded to the same ground as the DAC. The mac mini stock supply has a cheater on it to float the ground, the HD power supply does not have a ground pin.

The later minis and the current model, have a two pin AC cable directly connected, dispensing with the brick PSU. In that case, the situation ends up the same as you have now. Aftermarket AC cables are something to watch, the force on the cable is more than the friction applied by the mini's own weight. Good idea to add steel plates for a number of issues!

Alex, can you please advise which Mac Mini or Macbook you think is the best? I use 2009 Mac Mini (dedicated for music playback) and am considering to get Macbook Pro because I can easily replace stock PSU for linear power supply.

Where can I get a good linear power supply to replace the 60w MagSafe SMPS for my 13" MBP? I always thought that the battery charging circuit was problematic, as well as sourcing the proprietary MagSafe connectors from Apple.

Sorry, but having conducted multiple, s/w and h/w variable-controlled face-offs between 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 Mac minis, both with and without external linear supplies, I can assure you that Steve Nugent's advice needs some serious updating. I have everyone of the above year minis in my house--and had my choice of which put in the music rack and which to give to wife/kids/my desk. The 2009--even with 8GB, pulled wifi/bluetooth, and an external linear supply--came in last.

Alex: Which one's at the top of the list?

system pics

The later minis and the current model, have a two pin AC cable directly connected, dispensing with the brick PSU. In that case, the situation ends up the same as you have now. Aftermarket AC cables are something to watch, the force on the cable is more than the friction applied by the mini's own weight. Good idea to add steel plates for a number of issues!

The solid steel plates are almost 1" thick with a footprint about the size of the 2009 mini. Each one weighs 10 lbs. If that doesn't produce high mass isolation and vibration absorption, I don't know what would! The lower one also works as a heat sink. They are also grounded to the same ground as the mini and the dac.

IMG_1332.JPG

system pics

Would it not be more impactful to move to a external linear psu than using a specialized power cord on the stock psu?

system pics

I'm intrigued by the iUSB since my DAC requires bus power. I am assuming I can just plug the power leg of the Lightspeed cable to the power leg of the iUSB without any additional USB

Thx!

I would definitely recommend looking at a USB power supply for your DAC before making power supply changes to your mini--not to say that you wouldn't reap benefits from that, but if your DAC is running off the poor quality 5v that the mini is sending out, that's the first place I'd change. Even with a much better supply to the mini, what it will send out will have noise from MB etc. riding along with the dc.

Hi Umetaro: My tests between 4 years of Mac minis (Late 2009 through Late 2012 i7; all machines with 8GB RAM, cloned boot partitions of Mountain Lion and Mavericks so s/w identical; Audirvana + in playlist mode; always headless) had the 2009 coming in last--and with the advantage of an external linear PS, while at the time none of my minis were converted for a linear (since I was still deciding which to use).

The 2010/11/12 were all a lot better than the 2009, but were very close to one another. This, despite the 2010 being the Core 2 Duo of the bunch, while the 2011 was an i5, and my 2012 is an i7. I ended up using the 2010 for my music server, but truth be told the i5 and i7 were both a tad bit better. Despite the difference in year and processor between the 2011 i5 and the 2012 i7, I really can't say that i7 was noticeably better (remember, this is coming from a person that did a 4-way shootout between 25-ft. Ethernet cables--direct from machine to machine, no Ethernet switch or router--for shared audio file streaming).

If I had to choose today, I'd probably buy a 2011 or 2012 i5 mini and put 16GB in it. Ripping out the switching PS is the very first thing to do! That and a slimmed down Mavericks install cloned to an SD card for booting.

As for Macbook Pros: As I posted somewhere else, a while back I borrowed my wife's work MacBook Pro (a mid-2012 i5) and booted it with the very same SD card pulled from my music server (with A+ and my reference tracks on it). I even "ejected" the internal HD, turned off the wifi, bluetooth, etc. I listened to it via both its battery and its AC adapter. It was disappointing in comparison to the Mac mini. Lacked impact, the bass detail was weak, and for lack of a better term (I am lousy about describing these things), the music was boring. I don't recall what differences I heard between just battery power and with the AC adapter, but I know that neither improved it enough to impress me. I feel pretty bad reporting all this because I know that a lot of folks here have MacBooks for music servers. They certainly look great and are convenient--what with the display, keyboard, and trackpad all built in. But at least in my system, the results were underwhelming.

Have a great weekend.

--Alex C.

The solid steel plates are almost 1" thick with a footprint about the size of the 2009 mini. Each one weighs 10 lbs. If that doesn't produce high mass isolation and vibration absorption, I don't know what would! The lower one also works as a heat sink. They are also grounded to the same ground as the mini and the dac.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12856[/ATTACH]

It will certainly help reduce EMI coming from the Mac to avoid influencing equipment above and below it. Although you could use a little Tri-meter to check, as magnetic and electric, high and low frequency fields require different things.

I use G-Iron and alu-alloy sheets in between all my components to help block/absorb EMI.

Powercords help, if shielded, to not negatively influence sensitive bits with its EMI field, such as analog cables if close by. Careful physical position of cables will go a long way.

Can't remember if your Mac has its PSU outside of the box, in which case it is even easier to try a cleaner PSU.

Most of the noise is created within the Mac box and, without pulling it apart for tweaks , the IFI iUSB will filter ground and provide a much cleaner 5v to the DAC. And you will be able to use it in any future setup too.

It will certainly help reduce EMI coming from the Mac to avoid influencing equipment above and below it. Although you could use a little Tri-meter to check, as magnetic and electric, high and low frequency fields require different things.

I use G-Iron and alu-alloy sheets in between all my components to help block/absorb EMI.

Powercords help, if shielded, to not negatively influence sensitive bits with its EMI field, such as analog cables if close by. Careful physical position of cables will go a long way.

Can't remember if your Mac has its PSU outside of the box, in which case it is even easier to try a cleaner PSU.

Most of the noise is created within the Mac box and, without pulling it apart for tweaks , the IFI iUSB will filter ground and provide a much cleaner 5v to the DAC. And you will be able to use it in any future setup too.

Coupla things...

- What's a tri-meter?

- The blocks intention is EMI shielding, but also mass loading to reduce vibrations and heat-sinking to cool down.

- PS is external, but I don't think I want to spend the money for a LPSU since if I move to a newer mini it will require a diff voltage.

- Will likely try the iUSB

- You can see my cable layout in my system pics - really very minimal and "separated out"

system pics

If I had to choose today, I'd probably buy a 2011 or 2012 i5 mini and put 16GB in it. Ripping out the switching PS is the very first thing to do! That and a slimmed down Mavericks install cloned to an SD card for booting.

Hey Alex,

I don't understand the bit about booting off of an SD card really. What is this about? How can it possibly do anything for you (if anything I'd expect huge latency to access osx stuffs). BTW... You're certainly not the first one mentioning this...

Thx.

system pics

Would it not be more impactful to move to a external linear psu than using a specialized power cord on the stock psu?

Maybe this point was missed. If you were to buy a mini today, there is no external power supply delivered with the computer. The two pin figure 8 AC cable plugs into the Mini, the SMPS to power the mini is built into the MacMini.

To remove the internal PSU from a mini requires 'a bit of skill' and is not really simple. People like Tranz and SuperDad have delved deeply into removal of the mini's PSU. Core Audio Technology, (SuperDad's yet to be relased PSU *) and Mojo Audio offer replacements for the internal PSU, where they offer a kit for user assembly, or the companies mod your mini, or buy new modded.

The debate is then whether the replacement is worth the effort, there are several threads here doing just that.

* Final details are not known, so not sure of the extent of how far a mini needs to be changed.