IGNORED

Latest iTunes Hi Res Rumor

Nothing about high rez music from the keynote?

Some jokes about Beats, but that's it. Doesn't mean they won't come out tomorrow and make an announcement though. Sometimes, Apple will doe things just to aggravate the people who believe they have an "inside track"... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

SSometimes, Apple will doe things just to aggravate the people who believe they have an "inside track"... :) -Paul

I really doubt this. More likely scenario is that it is just not a priority for them, and necver has been. Why make a grand announcement on itunes hi-res music, when 99% of the population will say "huh? What is the point of this. I am happy the way it is." I agree with the @new_media. Time to stick a fork in it and move on.

I really doubt this. More likely scenario is that it is just not a priority for them, and necver has been. Why make a grand announcement on itunes hi-res music, when 99% of the population will say "huh? What is the point of this. I am happy the way it is." I agree with the @new_media. Time to stick a fork in it and move on.

I think with the imminent purchase of Beats (yes they have agreed a purchase but the actual deal will happen towards the end of the year) it's unlikely there will be any announcement until everything can be brought into the fold...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Apples next big thing is into Home Automation...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

A much higher percentage of customers are interested in Home Automation than higher resolution music. MUCH higher.

They just spent *$3 Billion* dollars on music. I think we can expect an extraordinary announcement on this area sooner or later. Honestly, I think Eloise has the right of it here. Home Automation, perhaps. But there are at least 3 billion reasons to expect something in the music area. Hopefully, it won't be totally stupid or un desirable to the audiophile community.

Robert A. Heinlein

So Apple's idea of Home Automation is stuff that you can already do on any apple device OR android. Huh.... sound about right for the way Apple is going these days. So far the lack of imagination and ingeniousness from Apple is staggering.

So Apple's idea of Home Automation is stuff that you can already do on any apple device OR android. Huh.... sound about right for the way Apple is going these days. So far the lack of imagination and ingeniousness from Apple is staggering.

Like everything; Apple is not inventing anything new. What is new is the idea if integrating everything in one place. Also the certification programme should enable you some element of assurance that things work together.

I imagine (for example) that Marantz and Oppo may both get their devices certified. A third party application could tap into that to enable control of both devices from a single application along with your Phillips lamps also controlled. Yes you can do that now; but you either need (a) a bunch of different applications or (b) to programme it in a custom design on Roomie or similar.

In addition; Siri is expanded into this environment as well as ibeacons so (for example) your heating system knows when you leave the house.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

If you have been working in the home automation field for some time you can see the progress that has happened since the iPhone, iPad launch from Apple. From just a few short years ago where every little piece had to be programmed into a static touchscreen with no two way communication to today, where Lutron, security companies, HVAC, etc. now are controlled by an iDevice that is $500 is staggering. Apple has opened the door for affordable home automation and now they have just decided to tie the loose ends together (as they are constantly doing) to make it into a cohesive control solution. The companies that now occupy the space on iDevices will be asked to make apps that will "fit" into this model so that there is an overall "feel" to the application. Not ingenious perhaps but evolutionary to making things available to the common folk that a short time ago was the provenance of the very wealthy. In this way Apple is ingenious and imaginative in how they view the market.

David

They just spent *$3 Billion* dollars on music. I think we can expect an extraordinary announcement on this area sooner or later. Honestly, I think Eloise has the right of it here. Home Automation, perhaps. But there are at least 3 billion reasons to expect something in the music area. Hopefully, it won't be totally stupid or un desirable to the audiophile community.

Streaming. That's why every analyst I've read thinks they bought Beats.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes... But with the introduction of a streaming service will they also offer some form of "audiophile" premium service via iTunes?

Eloise

---

"Siri, get PRAT on the phone"

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I would bet a nickel it is more to produce new music. They cannot use the Apple records label of course, so Beats may be the Apple gateway into not only selling and streaming music, but into making music as well. Heard it here first... :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes... But with the introduction of a streaming service will they also offer some form of "audiophile" premium service via iTunes?

Where's the value proposition for Apple? Would just mean greater expense for the streaming business - so they'd then have to make a different business model go (on the basis of huge demand for audiophile-grade streaming?), before executing on the original one.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Where's the value proposition for Apple? Would just mean greater expense for the streaming business - so they'd then have to make a different business model go (on the basis of huge demand for audiophile-grade streaming?), before executing on the original one.

I'm thinking they will stream 320kpbs via Beats Music, but also begin selling lossless and / or 96/24 via iTunes (for download).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I'm thinking they will stream 320kpbs via Beats Music, but also begin selling lossless and / or 96/24 via iTunes (for download).

The hook is that the Beats service would prominently show links to iTunes when you are choosing music and artists (much like Pandora does now) which would open iTunes Store to purchase a higher resolution version of the one you are currently listening to. Having those apps as permanent and featured when someone buys a new iOS device makes certain they are instantly in the Beats/iTunes ecosystem. The trickiest part is where does the purchased music go. If it was me I would have the purchases go to whatever computer the customer has as their main iTunes account instead of downloading to their iOS device with the file also being available as a lossless cd quality file to those devices. The other question is, has Beats been acquiring high resolution versions of the music they are currently streaming or would they have to count on Apple to supply those?

David

The other question is, has Beats been acquiring high resolution versions of the music they are currently streaming or would they have to count on Apple to supply those?

That's one reason why I would be surprised if Apple comes up with hi res or even lossless files available for purchase in the very near future. (Completely uninformed utter speculation on my part, of course.) Seems to me the industry is still very (overly) concerned about Teh Piracy. Hi res or even lossless opens up the specter of Perfect Copies Forever for which the music companies get nothing. If that's an HDTracks or a Qobuz or even a Pono Music - OK. But if the distribution is through what's already the most popular music purchasing medium in the world?

The music companies are still, if I remember correctly, making as much revenue on CDs as they are on lossy downloads, even though the numbers of downloads sold are vastly greater. So the conundrum for the companies is how to transition from physical media to the Internet as a means of distribution without killing the goose that is still laying lots of golden eggs for them. If I'm the music companies, I'm making no agreements with Apple for sale of lossless/hi res files until and unless Pono Music gives me a proof-of-concept that selling downloads of lossless files is a money-making proposition on a scale larger than HDTracks or Qobuz.

Streaming is a different matter, since it's harder to pirate a stream. But I've already voiced my opinion (again, uninformed and complete speculation) that Apple may want to see how well the current Beats/iTunes streaming service will do before branching into a higher-cost, higher-priced business model for lossless.