IGNORED

Latest iTunes Hi Res Rumor

Has anyone else heard a rumor that Apple intends to announce 24 bit hi res downloads at their annual iPhone event next week, and that they will open the store with the first three Led Zeppelin albums?

If this is true, goodbye HDTracks.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Has anyone else heard a rumor that Apple intends to announce 24 bit hi res downloads at their annual iPhone event next week, and that they will open the store with the first three Led Zeppelin albums?

And goodbye Pono

Yeah this rumor made the rounds here back in April, but I haven't seen any new information since then.

I'm not sure when this change happened, but iTunes Match now matches 24/96 tracks whereas before it just declared them "ineligible." Not a big deal, but it saves me the trouble of creating AAC versions and then replacing them with ALAC, but it could be a sign of something...

And goodbye Pono

Perhaps, but I think those services and others like HDTT, Sony etc. would benefit, but only if they manage the user experience well. If ever a gold rush of hi-res downloading takes place, there will be room for anybody who provides a useful and at least partly unique service. The potential hi-res market isn't gigantic but is many times bigger than current one. I expect the rising tide effect. If Apple doesn't offer DSD and/or has embedded DRM, and/or doesn't respond to the current h-res market for a kickstart, then their foray could all be a disaster.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Perhaps, but I think those services and others like HDTT, Sony etc. would benefit, but only if they manage the user experience well. If ever a gold rush of hi-res downloading takes place, there will be room for anybody who provides a useful and at least partly unique service. The potential hi-res market isn't gigantic but is many times bigger than current one. I expect the rising tide effect. If Apple doesn't offer DSD and/or has embedded DRM, and/or doesn't respond to the current h-res market for a kickstart, then their foray could all be a disaster.

I'd be really surprised if DSD is addressed Sam. It's a niche market at best and IMO has little commercial value to Apple......or anyone else for that matter.

I'd be really surprised if DSD is addressed Sam. It's a niche market at best and IMO has little commercial value to Apple......or anyone else for that matter.

I'd be surprised too. Not to belittle the benefits of DSD but I can't see Apple (if they actually do anything with higher resolution at all) offering different versions of the same music. Having to store and then manage different file types sounds like a logistical nightmare with the millions of offerings that Apple has available.

It will be very interesting to watch what the acquisition of Beats does or doesn't do to music offerings in general from Apple.

David

Just offering 16/44 lossless would be a good start for me. If they can offer more that's only upside. I do think there is an opportunity for Apple here. I'm going to take a guess that although it is a smaller number of people, those that do care more about sound quality are likely to spend more on music if a higher resolution/better quality option is available compared to the MP3 generation.

...Having to store and then manage different file types sounds like a logistical nightmare with the millions of offerings that Apple has available.
Just offering 16/44 lossless would be a good start for me. If they can offer more that's only upside. I do think there is an opportunity for Apple here.

Ah, thanks folks, I agree. I misspoke, was too hurried. I should have separated causes and effects. I meant that the lack of DSD by Apple would merely help the vendors that offer it now (or soon, vide Sony). My main idea was that if Apple's venture succeeded, then the huge uptake in hi-res would help the little guys. But Apple's venture would only suffer and perhaps fail if their DRM processes or other hassles made the experience or perceived value less appealing.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I'd be surprised too. Not to belittle the benefits of DSD but I can't see Apple (if they actually do anything with higher resolution at all) offering different versions of the same music. Having to store and then manage different file types sounds like a logistical nightmare with the millions of offerings that Apple has available.

It will be very interesting to watch what the acquisition of Beats does or doesn't do to music offerings in general from Apple.

It would be very unlikely for Apple (or anyone else for that matter) to store a lot of different music formats. It is far easier to through cycles at it during the download and convert the highest res format to whatever the buyer desires.

Indeed, if you get smart enough about it, you can even obtain the needed CPU cycles from the machine the user is downloading on.

Lots of clever ways to do things like that.

Also, I bet you will have lots of clever folks out there transcoding their 16/44.1 files to DSD128 or better before things settle down. DSD just sounds so much better on current gear! At least, to many people it does...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Why do people keep bringing up DRM in these Apple threads?

Apple helped lead the push to get rid of DRM on music years ago. There is no way they would now agree to sell high res files with DRM while other vendors are allowed to sell them without it.

Why do people keep bringing up DRM in these Apple threads? Apple helped lead the push to get rid of DRM on music years ago. There is no way they would now agree to sell high res files with DRM while other vendors are allowed to sell them without it.

new_media,

Thank you for this information, it certainly changes my perspective. I had lumped Apple together with Sony as another enemy of open standards. I still consider both companies, on the whole, unfriendly to music lovers. But if they finally let the music out, they will have gone far to redeem themselves.

Apple Hi-Rez is coming via 24/96 subscription streaming.

I'm betting on 24/96 purchases with 320 subscription streaming. The only thing that will be free is internet radio and possibly Pandora with ads. I think Spotify will eventually be the loser in this. I think that Beats will raise pricing to $14.99 a month and just tout tighter integration with iTunes and Apple along with better sound quality and their now infamous "human curation" as the hook. You will be able to purchase high res straight from Beats and maybe, not from Spotify?

David

And we know this- how? :)

-Paul

Pure speculation Paulie but it's the only thing I can think of that Apple could do that's not a "me too" approach.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Why do people keep bringing up DRM in these Apple threads?

Apple helped lead the push to get rid of DRM on music years ago. There is no way they would now agree to sell high res files with DRM while other vendors are allowed to sell them without it.

Very first information regarding Apple's high-res market mentioned 'virtually certain' that watermark will be implemented for protecting high-res files.

MUSIC DISCUSSION and Audio, Vinyl, related thoughts.: Led Zeppelin and the Future of Hi-Res Audio Downloads:

Another reason why this will be sure-fail toward audiophiles. Let me remind you what happened to DVD-A when audiophiles found out there was watermark involved in those CDs......

Very first information regarding Apple's high-res market mentioned 'virtually certain' that watermark will be implemented for protecting high-res files.

MUSIC DISCUSSION and Audio, Vinyl, related thoughts.: Led Zeppelin and the Future of Hi-Res Audio Downloads:

Another reason why this will be sure-fail toward audiophiles. Let me remind you what happened to DVD-A when audiophiles found out there was watermark involved in those CDs......

That's our good old Robert Hutton again, and this was already discussed somewhere else. As much as I appreciate Robert's taste in music, this article is dated two month ago, so the famous "in two months" for the highres launch is just as said before pure speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon learn more about Apple's post-Beats acquisition strategy, but I'd be much more inclined to think they'd focus on the streaming (lossy) service that interests 95% of their customers vs the 5% (at best) that want highres.

Pure speculation Paulie but it's the only thing I can think of that Apple could do that's not a "me too" approach.

Bill

(Grin). Well, WWDC kicks off on Monday morning. Without much doubt, we will hear something then, though I do not think it will be what we are all guessing. I sure miss Jobs- I can not see what they are looking at Beats for. Must mean I am getting old...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

(Grin). Well, WWDC kicks off on Monday morning. Without much doubt, we will hear something then, though I do not think it will be what we are all guessing. I sure miss Jobs- I can not see what they are looking at Beats for. Must mean I am getting old...

Yep, and the Zep remasters' official release date is Tuesday, so if we don't hear something early next week then I'll assume it's all been just idle speculation.

Honestly, I doubt that Apple would have allowed highresaudio and HDtracks to carry the titles at all if they are planning some splashy launch. They usually aren't big on someone stealing their thunder.