IGNORED

What's wrong with this $378 server for Windows Server 2012 and AO?

SolidLogic Intel Atom M350 Mini Embedded Computer

Atom-M350

Motherboard

1 x Mitac PD11TI Thin Mini-ITX replacement for Intel DN2800MT

Memory (Select QTY)

1 x Transcend SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 Memory 4GB

Primary Storage Drive

1 x Western Digital 2.5" SATA Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm

Power Supply

1 x None - This configuration does not require a power supply

AC Adapter

1 x Power Adapter DC 12 V, 6.67A, 80 W Level 5

Assembly & Validation

1 x Standard (3-5 working days)

Warranty

1 x 1 Year Standard Warranty

I plan on running JRiver MC 19 too.

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

SolidLogic Intel Atom M350 Mini Embedded Computer

Atom-M350

Motherboard

1 x Mitac PD11TI Thin Mini-ITX replacement for Intel DN2800MT

Memory (Select QTY)

1 x Transcend SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 Memory 4GB

Primary Storage Drive

1 x Western Digital 2.5" SATA Hard Drive 500GB, 7200rpm

Power Supply

1 x None - This configuration does not require a power supply

AC Adapter

1 x Power Adapter DC 12 V, 6.67A, 80 W Level 5

Assembly & Validation

1 x Standard (3-5 working days)

Warranty

1 x 1 Year Standard Warranty

I plan on running JRiver MC 19 too.

Nothing wrong. But, if you want to add a USB card ( I use a PPA Studio) will that case take the optional IO shield like the case used in the CAPS?

I would use an MSata drive for the OS. A 32gb is big enough and pretty cheap on Ebay.

I run my system on an SLA battery.

If you plan to use DSP or run JPlay you might want more CPU power. I do run JPlay on the exact same Intel board with Server 2012 AO and JR19 with good results. Just run without the most aggressive JPlay settings, keeping CPU utilization below about 50%.

regards

Bob

Can it still process DSD and 32 bit/384 kHz that the W4S DAC 2 DSDse can deliver?

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

Can it still process DSD and 32 bit/384 kHz that the W4S DAC 2 DSDse can deliver?

Actually, it is rather the other way around. The computer needs to deliver the music, as PCM or DSD, to the W4S DAC2.

It will be able to do that, but probably not be able to convert say, PCM to DSD on the fly, should you wish to try that. It might not be all that happy converting 16/44.1 PCM to say 24/192K on the fly either.

Just playing the files bit perfect should not be a problem at all, I would think.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You will be able to play everything without issue.

You can up sample PCM up to 192 with JRiver or Foobar and with foobar get away with up sampling PCM to DSD 64. After that you will need more CPU.

You mentioned you had a laptop you were going to try. How did that sound?

regards

Bob

I have an old Atom 525 based PC I run AO and Server on with no issues. As mentioned it won't have the horse power to do some things but playback of high res flac works just fine.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I decided to keep the laptop a laptop and get a dedicated computer server like above...

You will be able to play everything without issue.

You can up sample PCM up to 192 with JRiver or Foobar and with foobar get away with up sampling PCM to DSD 64. After that you will need more CPU.

You mentioned you had a laptop you were going to try. How did that sound?

regards

Bob