IGNORED

I think I just purchased a pirate/copied CD...

So I just came back from the store where I usually buy music and to my surprise (first time that happens), Im not sure whether the CD I just purchased is original or not.

Ok, so here are the things that make me believe it might be fake/pirate/copy:

1) The quality of the back cover is not the best. Most is readable except where the copyright and publishing text is at, that is kinda blurry.

2) The lateral sides of the cd cover (where you see the name of the artist and the CD number) have the typical "folded" white marks.

3) The disc readable side is NOT white. It is green, just like a CD-R.

4) NO ifpi code on the CD

Now, the one and only thing that makes me not to be 100% sure this is a fake CD is the fact that the original release of this disc was 1987. As many of you might know, the compact disc was created in 1986 so I want to think that this music company that released this disc did not have the resources it needed to produce it properly? or maybe the very first music compact discs were manufactured as CD-R's?

I really need your help, I want to make sure I can return it before is too late. I will post pictures tomorrow and hopefully you guys can help me tell whether or not is real.

Thanks!

The first commercially available compact discs and players were introduced in 1983 (maybe late 1982) with Billy Joel's 52nd St the first album released on CD. Wide spread commercial production of CDs was well underway by 1987.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
The first commercially available compact discs and players were introduced in 1983 (maybe late 1982) with Billy Joel's 52nd St the first album released on CD. Wide spread commercial production of CDs was well underway by 1987.

Good to know! Always glad to learn something new.

Btw, I talked to the store owners and they confirmed that it was not an original factory copy. However, they did tell me that it is one of those very low-quantity orders that sometimes artists decide to burn without having the recording company involved. In other words, they hold the rights and want to keep the CDs flowing in the stores so they make 50 more copies independently and put them for sale. This is done due to the fact that since the recording company wont make 50 or 100 copies only, they proceed on their own.

I told the owners I was not interested since there is a noticeable lack of quality on this editions. They offered me to bring it (even when it has been over two months) without even showing the receipt. These guys know I have been buying from them for a long time, spent a lot of money and time in their store so their friendly attitude is definitely welcomed and appreciated.

Late 1982 - coincident with the Stereo Review cover of a CD as a Christmas Tree ornament. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have a CD from The Feelies like the one you describe. The original went out of print and the copyright holder was selling them online, burned on demand. That album has since been remastered and reissued.

I bought my first CD player and CDs in 1987, when I was a freshman in high school. I still remember how cool I thought it was that the discs were shiny and refracted light into a spectrum of colors. :)