IGNORED

almost there but require additional guidance

I had posted on a previous location within this forum but it is my hope that by posting in this location I will be able to conclude my issues.

I have a desk top Dell computer hard wired via ethernet to my OPPO player and Marantz pre amplifier .

It is the OPPO that can play back HD audio tracks via its network function while the Marantz can access and play back lo fi audio although all titles are ripped in windows media lossless the Marantz downgrades to MP3 quality for playback.

But the Marantz can access, display and play audio tracks quickly and easily compared to the functions of the OPPO.

I have been advised a myriad of ways to get better access to files and folders and have implemented some which have given me access to better sound formats but not a more streamlined or easier interface.

Some suggestions have been to include an HDMI output on my Dell and connect direct to the Marantz.

Others to add a NAS server, I could have done that instead of adding an additional hard drive expander.

I am getting conflicting suggestions and do not want to be counterproductive.

I want easy access to my files and folders.

A nice easy to read display with album art and track information included.

Currently the OPPO cannot display the album art of DSD downloads.

I cannot figure out how to get album art included when ripping CD's to FLAC via Foobar.

I have to access 2 areas on the computer from two different components for digital audio playback.

What can I use? Some people advise J river others X box media center software.

I would be open to purchasing a tablet or laptop to gain more access to the computer operations and stop using the Marantz and OPPO as music servers. At the very least I suppose a wireless keyboard and mouse might work.

I am not too open to purchasing any more components. I am a lot further along using computer audio than a few years back but it is still requiring major tweaks to gain access and ease and enjoyment in my home.

Maybe someone can help?

My equipment list

JVC RS-40 projector

Da-Lite 96 inch Cinema-Vision fixed screen with Pro trim

Marantz AV-8003 processor

Marantz RC-2001 learning remote

Aragon 8008 2 channel amplifier

Emotiva XPR-5 amplifier

Thorens TD 160B MK2 turntable

SME series 3 tone arm

Audio Technica AT150MLX VM Cartridge

Klipsch RF-7, RC-64 ii, RS-35, KSW-12

SVS PB 13 Ultra subwoofer

OPPO 103 DVD Blu ray player

Motorola 3416 PVR with 1 TB expander

Furman Elite 15 PF I Linear filtering power source

Rotel RQ 970BX phono pre amp

2 Darbee vision visual presence enhancers

Luxman 4 channel amplifier for multi zone playback

Hafler Equalizer for zone use

Technics 5 pack carousel CD player

Dell desk top computer running Vista and screen network music player storage

Lutron Maestro dimmers

GIK acoustic wall treatments 244 and 242 models

Buffalo IR repeater model 350 and IR flashers IR-E1 for home control of audio zones and PVR

Ultra Link cable and wire

If you don't like the functionality of either the Oppo player or the Marantz AV receiver, you definitely need a new device. Since you are using foobar anyway, get the DLNA plugin and try streaming from your computer to the Marantz AV receiver. This is similar to using JRiver or XBMC but re-uses software you already employ.

If you like the experience, you can start thinking of how to implement it permanenty.

Most people have one active device in their network, sometimes hosting the library and connected directly to the stereo system, sometimes separate and only linked over the network. This is running the player software and is controlled by a hand-held device like a tablet or mobile phone. This will give you the maximum flexibility regarding user interface and comfort. JRiver, XBMC or software derived from the former Squeezebox ecosystem could be used in this scenario. Foobar should be usable also. There is more software if you care to use Linux based systems.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Hi thanks for the reply.

Since you are using foobar anyway, get the DLNA plugin and try streaming from your computer to the Marantz AV receiver.

This option would require a smart phone or tablet for control correct?

JRiver, XBMC or software derived from the former Squeezebox ecosystem could be used in this scenario.

What I want to do is have the ease of use that the Marantz offers without the poor sound quality as it is restricted in sound formats. I like the fact the OPPO will play back almost every audio format but so not like the fact it is balky and does not show album art.

You first suggestion DLNA plugin I would use in conjunction with the other suggestion you offer?

I have many, many audio titles ripped in windows media audio lossless that cannot be currently played back in that format. If I were to implement the above what strategy would allow for lossless audio playback while keeping the ease of use, album art and functionality?

1.Hand held device

2. DLNA plugin for the computer or hand held device or both?

3.JRiver, XBMC or I have also been told that X box media center works well.

1. Get a device, get the "app".

2. Download the plugin into both devices?

3. install additional software on the computer

4. Enjoy lossless audio easily retrieved form my system via a hand held device?

Hi thanks for the reply.

This option would require a smart phone or tablet for control correct?

What I want to do is have the ease of use that the Marantz offers without the poor sound quality as it is restricted in sound formats. I like the fact the OPPO will play back almost every audio format but so not like the fact it is balky and does not show album art.

You first suggestion DLNA plugin I would use in conjunction with the other suggestion you offer?

I have many, many audio titles ripped in windows media audio lossless that cannot be currently played back in that format. If I were to implement the above what strategy would allow for lossless audio playback while keeping the ease of use, album art and functionality?

1.Hand held device

Last I knew, XBMC does not auto sample rate convert.

If you convert WMA lossless to FLAC using Jriver, the FLAC ends up twice the size compared with a direct rip from the CD to FLAC, came across this the other day.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Last I knew, XBMC does not auto sample rate convert.

If you convert WMA lossless to FLAC using Jriver, the FLAC ends up twice the size compared with a direct rip from the CD to FLAC, came across this the other day.

This is frustrating. Why should I have to convert?

The Marantz cannot handle FLAC but it does pass FLAC through unchanged. Problem solved, sort of.

That is what I would like to see with wmla files, why convert them, simply find a way to access and play them back as is intact.

Will #1,2,&3 combined provide that along with excellent access and interactivity?

1.Hand held device

Xbox Media Center is just the legacy name of XBMC media center. The software was originally developed to run on Microsoft's Xbox.

It's frustrating, but the solutions that hardware manufacturers implement as add-on to their products are hardly useful. It's not something they put effort into, just something to complement the feature list.

Why should I have to convert?

Since the Marantz does not accept the format you employ to store your music, you have to convert it somehow. Apart from doing it permanently (seems to be not a good idea when I read One and a half's post) you could do it during playback (called transposing), which Foobar could do for you with the help of the plugin.

You might check this option before you invest in anything new. The phone or tablet to control Foobar is optional, for testing purposes you can run the software on your computer and see if it works for you.

JRiver is another software that can be used as media center and DLNA sever. It's very popular around here. XBMC should work, but will be more tricky to configure. Also the caveat applies that One and a half mentioned: it might not auto-switch sample rates (at least on Windows; I know it works on Linux).

For a permanent solution you would need a small computer (what I called a device previously) running your preferred operating system, media center software, some handheld hardware to run the remote control software and the remote control SW itself.

If you use dedicated playback hardware, you will have additional options to connect the Marantz Receiver and the Oppo Player.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I can't offer you a lot of hope on DSD, products are still immature there. But for all else this should be what you will like

1) have all your media on your PC HD

2) run the media server software of your choice on the PC (Asset, Minimserver, Twonky, etc)

3) Run controller software app on your android phone or tablet (Bubble UPnp, Kinsky if the media server software supports OpenHome standard)

4) use your controller app to choose from library, see artwork, start/stop playback streaming to the Oppo. Make sure transcoding is disabled

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1) have all your media on your PC HD

2) run the media server software of your choice on the PC (Asset, Minimserver, Twonky, etc)

3) Run controller software app on your android phone or tablet (Bubble UPnp, Kinsky if the media server software supports OpenHome standard)

4) use your controller app to choose from library, see artwork, start/stop playback streaming to the Oppo. Make sure transcoding is disabled

What about a NAS server?

It has been suggested this product is what is required.

I see from your gear list you have optimized your pc for NAS

Media server software matters and a dedicated NAS limits your media server software options. Its possible that Synology or Qnap NAS with Intel processor is better but I haven't had the opportunity to compare in home to see if it can extract detail the same as an optimized PC and server SW combo for streaming. Very few reviewers have ventured into this territory other than to acknowledge that they can hear performance differences between NAS's. I do know that my PC setup as NAS slaughters the Buffalo Link station I have for depth of detail but there's a huge difference there in processor power, software and power optmization. Running an SSD for the OS off battery power is a major part of what gets me detail improvement, which would be hard to duplicate with a commercial NAS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Media server software matters and a dedicated NAS limits your media server software options. Its possible that Synology or Qnap NAS with Intel processor is better but I haven't had the opportunity to compare in home to see if it can extract detail the same as an optimized PC and server SW combo for streaming. Very few reviewers have ventured into this territory other than to acknowledge that they can hear performance differences between NAS's.
As you rightly imply, there are many variables involved in this. One of these has to do with how you access the NAS. You can use DLNA (or one of its variants) or you can use a direct file access like SMB. With the former (Minimserver running on Intel-based QNAP TS-569L), all the music formats (stereo and multichannel) I have tried, including DSD, work well. However, ISO does not. With direct access, all formats, including ISO are visible and, with jRiver as my media player, all will play. So far, I have not found a consistent sonic difference between them (or compared to files on the player's HD) but it is still early.

I am expecting a commercial media player box for review shortly and that will provide an opportunity to get deeper into this.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

the responses although appreciated are now lost on me.

u-va SMB server?

Minimserver running on Intel-based QNAP TS-569L?

Keeping with my hardware and adding a tablet/phone to control things should get me where I want to go in terms of being able to view cover art and have easy access to albums and specific tracks. And my library of WMLA audio should be able to play back lossless the same way as FLAC plays back through the Marantz even though tit is not a supported format. It should pass it.

Or X box media center?

Can you explain

if the media server software supports OpenHome standard
?

SMB is referring to a network protocol that Windows uses for sharing directories to other Windows Machines.

One possible setup for a Client/Server is using Vortex Box for the "build your own NAS" using standard PC hardware and then a Windows front end machine with J River.

You may have to Google this stuff.

• 1 year later...

I am resurrecting this old thread because I have finally entered the 21st century and purchased a smart phone.

I use it to control my OPPO, Marantz AV-8801 and the Cable box using apps supplied by the manufacturer.

They work OK but they perform nothing like a true remote control would.

The AV-8801 unfortunately does not have a learning function like the previous 8003 unit did.

I am wondering if an all in one app might do the trick?

Does anyone have a favorite?

Back to my original question now that I own a smart device how can I use it to access all of the content in my home network?

Kal Rubinson wrote

with the former (Minimserver running on Intel-based QNAP TS-569L), all the music formats (stereo and multichannel) I have tried, including DSD, work well. However, ISO does not. With direct access, all formats, including ISO are visible and, with jRiver as my media player, all will play. So far, I have not found a consistent sonic difference between them (or compared to files on the player's HD) but it is still early.

HOw is the computer connected with this option? I do not have HDMI output and do not have the space to add the HDMI card.

If that is not a requirement how do I access this option?