IGNORED

Comparing 24/96 wav vs 24/96 flac vs 16/44.1 wav vs 320 mp3

These free downloads are interesting, can anybody hear the difference? And what do you think of this;

When you compare the files start with the lowest resolution: D (MP3 320 kbps) and move on up through example C and B ending with A.

Be careful: If you start with A, and move down through B and C ending with D, your mind will remember the ''Blueprint'' of the higher resolution file, making it difficult to hear the difference even when finally listening to the MP3 file. Don't be frustrated if you can't hear a difference at first. Hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine.

So they do not recommend a blindfold comparison.

Compare%20Formats%20300%20Shadow%20v2.png

download link;Compare Formats

[TABLE=class: mymusetable, width: 686]

[TR]

[TD]Free Tracks Format Comparison

Here is a zip file containing samples of 2 tracks in 4 different formats.

A: 96/24 WAV

B: 96/24 FLAC

C: 16/44 WAV (CD)

D: 320kbps MP3

All the different formats have the same source file 96/24 WAV (Studio Master).

We used WAVELAB for the conversion.

When you compare the files start with the lowest resolution: D (MP3 320 kbps) and move on up through example C and B ending with A.

Be careful: If you start with A, and move down through B and C ending with D, your mind will remember the ''Blueprint'' of the higher resolution file, making it difficult to hear the difference even when finally listening to the MP3 file. Don't be frustrated if you can't hear a difference at first. Hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine.

1. BATIK - The Defeat

D: 320kbps MP3

2. Carmen Gomes Inc - A Thousand Shades of Blue

D: 320kbps MP3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

When moving up in bit rate, so starting with the Mp3 and ending with 24/96 my impression was that the tail of the ''notes'' and the sound of the room was more real, more clear, wider and deeper. Especially on the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' song with the drum intro,(I think it is a cajon).

When playing the files at random it kind of becomes a blur in the end what is what.

But I think that the blueprint theory makes sense. Anyway terrific recordings they are.

What do you think, did you listen? On the Defeat my files has very soft electrical buss, maybe it is the guitar amp or..it is on all 4 files if I listen very carefully.

• 7 months later...
These free downloads are interesting, can anybody hear the difference? And what do you think of this; So they do not recommend a blindfold comparison.

Compare%20Formats%20300%20Shadow%20v2.png

download link;Compare Formats

Comparing FLAC to WAV is pointless since the bytes are identical (unless FLAC was encoded wrong). It would be like comparing AIF to WAV as what sounded better. I have personally verified that when a FLAC file is uncompressed back into WAV nothing has changed, byte for byte.

That link's dead and wanted to know if you had any others?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

I am new to this audiophile - since ever i am soundophile but never had the time to get deeper into it until now.

So i wonder at which soundlevel you probe these files? With headphones or speakers?

If speaker you may consult a db-meter or like that: what is your reference-level (e.g. 105 db)?