IGNORED

Article: 2014 Munich High End Show

Thanks for the show report Chris. Clearly from pictures here and elsewhere - this show is a class apart.

True high end in the content and presentation of exhibits. Layout of the exhibits looked top notch.

The Weisswurst and beer must have been a brilliant as well!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

It's not too bad because you can switch inputs on the preamp.

Cable manufacturers must love the idea :)

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Yes, I went to Munich in 2010 and 2012. It has much better sound then the American shows because it is in a dedicated conference/convention center with large rooms. The layout is much better because it is on three floors instead of nine floors in a hotel. I am also very interested in hearing about the Nagra DAC, very expensive but it is supposed to sound great. We will find out.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Chris,

I have the Devialet 170 and upgraded to the new firmware. I didn't expect any change since my speakers are the efficient Zu Druid Vs and I have the output configured to max out at 100W anyway. However, I was quite surprised to noticed a fairly substantial improvement in sound quality, transparency in particular (at least using the AIR input). My speakers aren't on the SAM list, but hope they'll get to the Zu speakers eventually.

I hope you have the opportunity to make the before/after firmware comparison in your Devialet review.

Thanks for the show report!

Speaking of Auralic - I have played with the Auralic App for a while. IMO it still needs more development time. One of the features I found missing was searching by file formats / sample ratios - DSD, 24/96, 24/192 etc. The album art also could load faster.

Plus, they should make it more user friendly. Right now, to play an album, you need to press 4 'buttons'. In Jremote one 'tap' is enough.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Speaking of Auralic - I have played with the Auralic App for a while. IMO it still needs more development time. One of the features I found missing was searching by file formats / sample ratios - DSD, 24/96, 24/192 etc. The album art also could load faster.

Plus, they should make it more user friendly. Right now, to play an album, you need to press 4 'buttons'. In Jremote one 'tap' is enough.

Can I suggest you publish your Aries comment in the Aries thread? Mr. Wang of Auralic reads the thread, and it would be great if he heard feedback like that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Does it come in a more realistic price point???

I believe so. The Evolution Series is much more reasonably priced than the Reference Series. No specific pricing has been released yet. IN fact it was the first time TAD's Andrew Jones had seen the new speaker in the flesh, even though he designed it :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is surprising. Chris said it "blew him away" and yet you bring up points that concern me.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Chris could you listen to a Devialet set +/- SAM? According to their white paper SAM works only below 150Hz (at least presently).

The demo had music I was totally unfamiliar with so I was unable to make a judgement before leaving. I'm pushing to get TAD CR1 speakers measured so I can use sam in my review.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png