IGNORED

First impressions of Munich High End 2014

As we all are eagerly waiting for more news and pics of Munich High End you might be interested to check this link with over 400 high quality pictures about the first day of the fair.

HIFISTATEMENT | netmagazine - High End 2014: Eine fotografische Sammlung erster Eindrücke

Luckily, the fair is just around the corner for me and I can't wait to have a closer look at the new Auralic Aries et al tomorrow. An Aurender X100S, which I have on loan here, is playing while I'm typing this and my decision pro Aurender was almost taken but the new kid on the block seems to be a worthwhile competitor for a closer look. Can't wait :)

Enjoy !

Tom

Didn't see any pictures of the new Martin Logan "Neolith" speaker system that was supposed to be debuted at the Munich show. Did you see them? Better yet, did you hear them? Since the CLX is without a doubt the most realistic and accurate speaker I've ever heard, and the Neolith is supposed be as good, but with more than another octave of bottom-end, they must be spectacular! I can't wait for their release!

George

I can hardly wait to hear them myself! But I'm sore afraid or what they might cost!

Pretty sure they're $50k. Good for me, I'll never own another pair of ML's. I had three pairs and the last ones were the worst audio purchase. Ever.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Pretty sure they're $50k. Good for me, I'll never own another pair of ML's. I had three pairs and the last ones were the worst audio purchase. Ever.

You actually think that they'll cost more than the CLX's? I mean a pair of CLX and the subwoofers to go with them would be just shy of $30K, so the Neoliths better provide sex with the sound for almost twice the price.

I'm curious. If you don't mind telling us, why were your last pair of M-Ls such a disaster? I've had two sets of M-Ls, Aeon-Is and Vistas. The Aeons were magnificent transducers, by far the best I'd ever had up to that time (including a set of the eight-panel Magneplanar Tympani III-Cs!) and the Vistas were/are even better. I'd have bought a pair CLXs without thinking about it twice, except for two things: their size (no room in my parlor for them) and the price (being semi-retired I can no longer justify huge amounts of money to spend on audio).

George

I can hardly wait to hear them myself! But I'm sore afraid or what they might cost!

This is the only news I have:

Neolith debuts at Munich High End

SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com | Variations of the Superspeaker, Part One: MartinLogan, Estelon, and Magico

Regarding the price there is a lot of speculation, from 40 to 100 grands!... Out of my budget (and I have to add heavy import taxes!...). I guess it would be in a price range to compete with top of the line (top of the price?) Sound Labs (US$45,000).

Roch

This is the only news I have:

Neolith debuts at Munich High End

SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com | Variations of the Superspeaker, Part One: MartinLogan, Estelon, and Magico

Regarding the price there is a lot of speculation, from 40 to 100 grands!... Out of my budget (and I have to add heavy import taxes!...). I guess it would be in a price range to compete with top of the line (top of the price?) Sound Labs (US$45,000).

Roch

One of my closest friends, (The late J. Gordon Holt) loved Sound Labs speakers and I heard his many times (he always seemed to have the latest model) and they were superb throughout all of the range except for the bottom octave, where I always thought they needed a sub...

George

One of my closest friends, (The late J. Gordon Holt) loved Sound Labs speakers and I heard his many times (he always seemed to have the latest model) and they were superb throughout all of the range except for the bottom octave, where I always thought they needed a sub...

Maybe I've had bad luck when I heard Sound Labs & Maggies, or the setup was not optimal, but so far nothing is close to the CLX Regarding 3D (in a lot of other things), but they also need subwoofers. I found also they are easy to setup.

Roch

Maybe I've had bad luck when I heard Sound Labs & Maggies, or the setup was not optimal, but so far nothing is close to the CLX Regarding 3D (in a lot of other things), but they also need subwoofers. I found also they are easy to setup if you use and pay extra for the internal subs crossover (in my case Descent-i).

Roch

Maybe I've had bad luck when I heard Sound Labs & Maggies, or the setup was not optimal, but so far nothing is close to the CLX Regarding 3D (in a lot of other things), but they also need subwoofers. I found also they are easy to setup.

Roch

I don't disagree with you. To date, I have never heard a pair of speakers that did as many things right as the M-L CLXs (keeping in mind, of course, that they do need a carefully matched subwoofer system below 50 Hz). Having said that, it doesn't mean that the Sound Labs were any slouch - especially in their day. The last time I heard Gordon Holt's pair was in the early 2000s. Speakers have come a long way since then. I'm not sure that if I heard those same speakers today (after having experienced the CLXs), that I would be anywhere near as impressed as I was then.

Maggies too can be very good, but like all speakers, they have their flaws. One consistent flaw (that admittedly has been getting smaller with each generation of the technology), is a peculiar (to me, anyway) "ih" coloration that makes some instruments sound like someone talking through cupped hands. Not a deal killer, you understand, but definitely there.

George