IGNORED

Pure Music 2

Thank you for passing this on.

I never use the dithered volume control but thought I would try it in the new upgrade. Now that I have I'm experiencing something quite weird. PM decreases the volume on a continuous -1db on every playback. Nothing I do seems to stop it including a restart of both the program and my MacMini. Rob's mailbox is full so curious if anyone else has experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.0.2 is available for download.

"The 2.0.2 Update eliminates an issue causing tracks (particularly FLAC) to be skipped when Gapless playback is enabled, as well as including additional bug fixes and performance enhancements, and is recommended for all users."

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Thanks for the heads up. I need to read the release notes.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Installed PM 2.02. It does not sound as good as 2.01 in my system.

Need to look over the settings. Some may have changed after yhe update.

The Less is More sounds like too much silence, too black between the notes. The normal iTunes integrated mode more hifi than 2.01.

The Channld we page shows the download as 2.01. But once downloaded it is 2.02.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Hello dear forum writers of Computer Audiophile

I apologize for any errors of translation from Italian.

I, just this morning, installed the new demo version of Pure Music.

And well,

opening the preferences tab you can see many possibilities of sectarian here if you do not know if he already has spoken or not, in case you have tips to suggest?

I noticed on the Audio Setup, a voice that indicates - Enable Exclusive Access ("Hog" mode) - and alongside - Native Integer Format Support.

And 'advisable to check both?

Thanks in advance.

Benvenuto, Ale!

Yes, it is desirable to check both to maximize audio quality.

Exclusive Access ("Hog" mode) always is possible and beneficial.

Integer Mode is beneficial but has some limitations:

1. It precludes any modification of the audio data such as software volume control, sample rate conversion, or Audio Unit plugins.

2. It does not work in OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

3. There is a small minority of DAC's that do not support Integer Mode.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Bob Thanks for the greetings,

I use it on a mac mini 2013, with the Mavericks.

As I have a Wadia 121 DAC, I have used both modes "hog" and "Integer Mode" and I have not noticed any problem listening.

with the sound of this pure music is wonderful (albeit expensive), you know if there is a detailed description of the network settings?

Or print to video cards with the various settings correct?

What is the gapless?

Thank you the answer.

PM 2.02 downloaded and installed without incident. Loaded Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961, HDCD 20 Bit, XLD conversion to AIFF. Loaded instantly, and played each track gaplessly. SQ is very good.

Thank you, Rob. The update is excellent as far as I can tell. And given a software program's penchant for peccadillos with a program in evolution, enjoying the music with a modicum of or no impediments is a blessing.

With appreciation,

Richard

Happy to report that PM 2.0.2 has solved my two main issues : Gapless playback of FLAC’s and playback of DSD tracks. What a relief !

To be honest I haven’t yet taken the time to check out the remaining quirks. I’ve been so tied up in listening to my music. Once started on an album, I find it very hard to interrupt the music because the sound is just so emotionally involving and “genuine” from this player.

So, Richard I’m really “enjoying the music” and that’s what it’s all about.

PS. I’m still on Mountain Lion, so my experience with non DSD tracks is without the benefit of integer mode. My Mac is an early 2009 Mac mini with 4GB RAM. Anybody wants to recommend for or against Mavericks and PM with only 4 GB ?? (I’ve been eagerly awaiting a new Mac mini from Apple in 2014 – but no luck so far).

Cheers

Lars

Mac Mini late 2020 / 16GB RAM / OSX Big Sur; Rockna Wavelight DAC; TDSS Level-3 upgraded NuForce Ref.9 V2 SE power amps; Avalon Eclipse Classic speakers; 2 REL T/9i subwoofers; PS PowerPlant 3.

Analog : SOTA turntable w/ Morch DP-6 tone arm / van den Hul FROG cartridge. Densen RIAA DP02 MC

@ Just4fun,

Congratulations and best wishes for your search.

I have a Mac Mini 2013 with 16 GB of RAM,

just wonderful with iTunes and Pure Music 2.

I still have the demo version of PM, but in short it will buy.

I'm still looking for a Manual in Italian it can be configured in the best way possible (HOG MODE AND INTEGER MODE) to my Wadia 121 DAC with USB port ASYNCHRONOUS.

Greetings.

Happy to report that PM 2.0.2 has solved my two main issues : Gapless playback of FLAC’s and playback of DSD tracks. What a relief !

To be honest I haven’t yet taken the time to check out the remaining quirks. I’ve been so tied up in listening to my music. Once started on an album, I find it very hard to interrupt the music because the sound is just so emotionally involving and “genuine” from this player.

PS. I’m still on Mountain Lion, so my experience with non DSD tracks is without the benefit of integer mode. My Mac is an early 2009 Mac mini with 4GB RAM. Anybody wants to recommend for or against Mavericks and PM with only 4 GB ?? (I’ve been eagerly awaiting a new Mac mini from Apple in 2014 – but no luck so far).

Hi Lars,

My Mac Mini is a 2011mod. and with only 4GB RAM. I'm using Mavericks with PM 2.02, with gapless, memory play and integer mode with great result! My Mac Mini is only set up and used for playing music,connected to a Ayre usb dac. The new PM 2 sound just better than the rest...

atletico

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

This is my experience also. After going through the preferences, PM 2 is the best sounding in my system. Only comparing to the latest A+.

It really is working well integrated with iTunes. The Less is More is also operating smoothly.

Lars,

Unless someone else here says otherwise, gapless playback still doesn't work perfectly with FLAC and Integer mode.

I think 1.86 was that last version where gapless playback had worked well for me, but I kept reading on this forum that it was working well for others. So with 2.0 figured I would give getting gapless playback to work another try. Spent a few hours playing with 2.0 with mixed results.

For me, gapless playback works well with FLAC files. but only if not using Integer mode. In Integer mode, Pure Music plays some tracks gapless, some not. It doesn't "flip" to the "on deck" track and then back as it is supposed to.

While I was trying to set this up, I noticed gapless would work with Integer mode using my ALAC (Ipod) iTunes library, so I converted some of my high res files to ALAC and AIFF. With "link to next track", gapless worked perfectly with them. Rob (Pure Music) wasn't aware of a FLAC / Integer mode / gapless issue, but said they would take a look at it.

So good news and bad news for me. I didn't really want to convert to ALAC or AIFF. But with all the switching back between FLAC and ALAC, I also noticed that the ALAC files sounded better to me - noticeable on pretty much all the music I compared. The bad news: I spent the last day and a half converting my FLAC library to ALAC. The good news: gapless works well, and I have a better sounding system as a bonus.

Jury is still out whether AIFF sounds better than ALAC for me….

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

[quote name=Tone Deaf;331

The good news: gapless works well' date=' and I have a better sounding system as a bonus.

Jury is still out whether AIFF sounds better than ALAC for me….[/quote]

The issues with Direct Integer are invisible to me, the dac is an upsampling model.

The ALAC files sounding better is a surprise. May be a PM artifact. Many claim the opposite.

I have converted the entire library from FLAC to AIFF time ago,

not knowing anything about this gapless PM2 I heard on albums that already have breaks between songs. Today, listen to Pink Floyd album to see if it fits me with integer mode also breaks where there should be.

PS. 2 PM today will buy the license ... until now I've listened to the demo version.

Anyone else hear a richness, image density...not sure show to describe sounds in words, but PM has more color than A+ current version on my system (Mini SSD 8GB RAM > Mytek > McCormack DNA 500 > Aerial 10Ts). And do not miss any detail, which old A+ did without losing the middle in past and PM used to miss a bit.

All relative, both great programs.

Tone with Soul

Anyone else hear a richness, image density...not sure show to describe sounds in words, but PM has more color than A+ current version on my system (Mini SSD 8GB RAM > Mytek > McCormack DNA 500 > Aerial 10Ts). And do not miss any detail, which old A+ did without losing the middle in past and PM used to miss a bit.

All relative, both great programs.

The richness is a good description. I do not know if you use Less is More, it removes a filter. Or it sounds like it does.

I had heard others say that playback without iTunes integration sounds better. The ease and quickness of toggling LIM on and off shows me that even minimal iTunes integration degrades the sound. Significantly.

This reminds how much better I liked one of the euphoric versions of A+ over PM. PM 2 is not euphonic or pleasantly colored.

It is just a superior playback software. The best thing is it will make A+, Amarra, JRiver, and the others better.

Keep hearing the next A+ is a game changed also. Honestly, never dreamed software could improve on iTunes until I heard PM. Then A+ seemed to have extracted all there was on the files. Now another level of playback sound quality.

How many more are there?

Less is more is now "working" for me. I followed the instructions Rob gave me. Turning off integer mode allows me to then enable Less is More. I can then re-enable integer mode and all is well. Well except for one thing: I can start an album or track fine, but I cannot pause/stop the player. I emailed Rob about this. He's says it is a known issue, has nothing to do with headless mode, and that it will be addressed in a subsequent upgrade. Good news is the Less is More sounds very good, bad news is that playing without control (except to exit Less is More) makes me crazy.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Less is more is now "working" for me. I followed the instructions Rob gave me. Turning off integer mode allows me to then enable Less is More. I can then re-enable integer mode and all is well. Well except for one thing: I can start an album or track fine, but I cannot pause/stop the player. I emailed Rob about this. He's says it is a known issue, has nothing to do with headless mode, and that it will be addressed in a subsequent upgrade. Good news is the Less is More sounds very good, bad news is that playing without control (except to exit Less is More) makes me crazy.

Hello!

What are the advantages in select Less Is More?

I ask, because reading (and trying to translate in Italian), the very complete manual of PM2, I thought it would be enough to activate the mode "HOG MODE" button to get audio playback that wonderful.

Happy listening to all the forum writers.

Alexander.

That is what I thought also. With Hog mode and memory playback the interaction with iTunes would have no sonic impact.

But the difference is very easy to hear. Less is More is more better. Very clear, normal iTunes integration has a muffled sound. But only by comparison. I thought it was great until trying LiM.

That is what I thought also. With Hog mode and memory playback the interaction with iTunes would have no sonic impact.

But the difference is very easy to hear. Less is More is more better. Very clear, normal iTunes integration has a muffled sound. But only by comparison. I thought it was great until trying LiM.

With the exception of Less is More mode, PM will always have some level of interaction with iTunes. For example, it still receives track information from iTunes and also uses some of the iTunes interface controls. That being said, the interaction is minimal. In Less is More mode there is absolutely no interaction with iTunes, however I personally do not feel that the complete loss of control is worth it. I do have the "Update Track Position in iTunes" and the "Manually Adjustable" options off which gives you the least possible interaction with iTunes without resorting to LiM.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Maybe just my system. It is surprising. LiM is much better sounding.

Try it.