IGNORED

Pure Music 2

Did any have the following problem with PM2? Or solutions before my15 days upgrade expires?

1. Quick Play would not accept any DSF or DFF files when being dragged from Finder

2. Quick Play limited all tracks to 2 minutes

3. PM stops every after every track, would not FWD to the next track.

Failing to solve the above, PM is asking us to upgrade a broken software that is still broken

agent smith,

Some of what you describes sounds like what happens when the trial/demo period as run its course based on what was published at the PM website or the PM user manual. I am forgetting where I read how the program performs beyond the demo time trial. Had some difficulties first time out with the new build, but what you're describing was not my experience. I am sure Rob would be able to sort this out with you, if so inclined.

Best,

Richard

Although I am a reader on this forum for couple of years this is my first post.

I want to greet all Members and to say "thank you" for all the informations I foud here, especially concerning SACD Ripper project.

I use Pure Music for three years, and I've been waiting impatiently for a major update and DSD Gapless Playback capability. And what we've got?

Yesterday after 6 hours of research I forced at last PM2 to play DSD files. But only for 30 minutes.

Now it gives only the terrible noise again. No idea what's wrong: I checked everything, original PM works fine. What's more: still no DSD Gapless Playback, despite the assurances of "Improvements to Gapless playback track analysis mechanism".

Big disappointment for me.

Although I am a reader on this forum for couple of years this is my first post.

I want to greet all Members and to say "thank you" for all the informations I foud here, especially concerning SACD Ripper project.

I use Pure Music for three years, and I've been waiting impatiently for a major update and DSD Gapless Playback capability. And what we've got?

Yesterday after 6 hours of research I forced at last PM2 to play DSD files. But only for 30 minutes.

Now it gives only the terrible noise again. No idea what's wrong: I checked everything, original PM works fine. What's more: still no DSD Gapless Playback, despite the assurances of "Improvements to Gapless playback track analysis mechanism".

Big disappointment for me.

Copied from the Pure Music support page at Channel D web site:

Due to an unexpected issue discovered at the last minute with Gapless playback for DSD files and also with the new QuickPlaylist feature, we disabled Gapless playback capability in the initial Pure Music 2 update, rather than delay its release (Gapless playback for PCM audio files will function as expected, however). This will be addressed in a free incremental update to Pure Music 2. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

3. PM stops every after every track, would not FWD to the next track.

Still not having any luck with QuickPlay and FLAC/DSD files (I can load the tracks, but no play) I decided to create a fresh iTunes Library containing only PM bookmarks / alias of my FLAC and DSD files, so I could play them from there.

This works great, except for a handful of albums where I only get the first track I choose to play, next is silence. It seems as if iTunes is playing the next track though, but no sound from PM. I've tried to delete some bookmarks and add them again, but without any change in behavior.

Tried the faulty bookmarks on A+ : no problem at all !!

The creation of FLAC bookmarks are very fast. I hesitate to try DSD as long as I have issues with FLAC.

My normal iTunes Library containing all AIFF and ALAC files in Redbook and Hirez, PM plays without a hitch !

I'm running the latest iTunes version.

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

Lars

Mac Mini late 2020 / 16GB RAM / OSX Big Sur; Rockna Wavelight DAC; TDSS Level-3 upgraded NuForce Ref.9 V2 SE power amps; Avalon Eclipse Classic speakers; 2 REL T/9i subwoofers; PS PowerPlant 3.

Analog : SOTA turntable w/ Morch DP-6 tone arm / van den Hul FROG cartridge. Densen RIAA DP02 MC

Due to an unexpected issue discovered at the last minute with Gapless playback for DSD files and also with the new QuickPlaylist feature, we disabled Gapless playback capability in the initial Pure Music 2 update, rather than delay its release (Gapless playback for PCM audio files will function as expected, however). This will be addressed in a free incremental update to Pure Music 2. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Poor design, poor product management.

How can software so poorly managed be dependable and reliable?

That kind of answer doesn't impress me much.

I wouldn't dare to offer to my Clients something what's not fully ready to use. How can I evaluate the software within 15 days?

If it's beta that's OK, but it's not.

Someone above mentioned about "support", but I haven't found "donate" but "buy" button on Channel D website. They sell the product.

If there won't be updated within my trial period I will stay with previous version despite my warm feelings to PM's undeniable advantages. I like especially Playthrough Audio Driver, very useful for "WIMP" streaming service. Sorry, but for the rest I have JRiver MC for Mac which works great, offers much, much easier tagging support for DSD files, plays DSD gapless perfectly and with JRemote is almost all I need.

But a good robbery!

I wouldn't go that far - you have the choice: buy or not to buy.

What does this have to do with the "robbery"?

And it's not nice.

But after all the years of waiting for an upgrade, company policy is for me difficult to accept.

I wouldn't go that far - you have the choice: buy or not to buy.

What does this have to do with the "robbery"?

And it's not nice.

But after all the years of waiting for an upgrade, company policy is for me difficult to accept.

That was a sarcastic comment for poor design.

That was a sarcastic comment for poor design.

I respect your point of view and understand the reasons to be sarcastic but don't agree.

I wish them well.

Pure Music was achivable for 129 USD when main competitor with comparable SQ was a couple of times more expensive.

It's hard to tell about poor design of prior version.

But now, indeed, they drive me mad, because I still don't have gapless playback, instead the problems to keep it playing and also problem with adding DSD files to iTunes library etc. Devil is in details.

I would rather say about poor realization.

Hope, update is on it's way - fourteen days of my trial left.

I respect your point of view and understand the reasons to be sarcastic but don't agree.

I wish them well.

Pure Music was achivable for 129 USD when main competitor with comparable SQ was a couple of times more expensive.

It's hard to tell about poor design of prior version.

But now, indeed, they drive me mad, because I still don't have gapless playback, instead the problems to keep it playing and also problem with adding DSD files to iTunes library etc. Devil is in details.

I would rather say about poor realization.

Hope, update is on it's way - fourteen days of my trial left.

I think you misunderstand me I was sarcastic about the comment of Leonardo Piras.

I personally did the upgrade to support PM and I don't feel robbed at all.

agent smith,

Some of what you describes sounds like what happens when the trial/demo period as run its course based on what was published at the PM website or the PM user manual. I am forgetting where I read how the program performs beyond the demo time trial. Had some difficulties first time out with the new build, but what you're describing was not my experience. I am sure Rob would be able to sort this out with you, if so inclined.

Best,

Richard

May be, but mine is a paid copy and the update was just downloaded so I doubt if it has expired.

The release notes specifically mentions that the trial is full feature.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

I think you misunderstand me I was sarcastic about the comment of Leonardo Piras.

I personally did the upgrade to support PM and I don't feel robbed at all.

OK, but I will support them only then if PM2 will play on my system.

I put in a tech request/question to channel d a week ago and still haven't heard back. Probably busy with shows or new product glitches.

Did you ever get a response back from Rob?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I need to try the Less in More to play the ISO files for DSD. Even without gapless. Have a lot of ram for storage.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

My reason for scheduling the appointment was precipitated by static whenever I attempted to play DSD64 tracks, after I upgraded to 2.0. I had a number of incorrect settings which I corrected from instruction from Rob via emails. I was actually there for trouble-free DSD64 or 128 play but for one problem I had not noticed. It took Rob all of five seconds to detect the problem. For whatever reason the master volume for my W4S Dac-2 DSDse in Audio Midi Setup had been lowered and that caused the static unless I employed Less Is More which allowed me to bypass iTunes. Once Rob moved the Master Volume slider in AMS to 1.0 (FULL) the static disappeared.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Would you like to share the nature of your "incorrect settings" because I have so far only had static noise when attempting to play DSD64 files. I have maxed the output for my device in AMS. I don't really see more options. According to the manual, setting up DSD playback should be a one click affair.

Both software and hardware detects DSD64 during the static noise, so I'm on the right track I think. A+ works fine for the same files.

Cheers

Lars

Mac Mini late 2020 / 16GB RAM / OSX Big Sur; Rockna Wavelight DAC; TDSS Level-3 upgraded NuForce Ref.9 V2 SE power amps; Avalon Eclipse Classic speakers; 2 REL T/9i subwoofers; PS PowerPlant 3.

Analog : SOTA turntable w/ Morch DP-6 tone arm / van den Hul FROG cartridge. Densen RIAA DP02 MC

Hi Richard,

Would you like to share the nature of your "incorrect settings" because I have so far only had static noise when attempting to play DSD64 files. I have maxed the output for my device in AMS. I don't really see more options. According to the manual, setting up DSD playback should be a one click affair.

Both software and hardware detects DSD64 during the static noise, so I'm on the right track I think. A+ works fine for the same files.

Hello Lars,

The flag setting which defaults at AAAA is not correct for my W4S Dac-2 DSDse. The PM 2.0 user manual provides the steps for changing the flag to 05FA which was not set until I discovered my error. Reading a support post at the W4S website clued me about what was needed to use PM pre 2.0 for DSD play.

The other problem was not an intentional setting and escaped my notice. Rob noticed during my support session with him which was actually supportive, easy and overall took only a few minutes. Apparently, the volume setting for one of the two channels for the device I selected in Audio Midi Set up (Application/Utilities/AMS) had somehow slid to less than 1.0 or full volume. I have noticed this occurrence at other times despite the fact that I never change the slider from full volume, 1.0. Rob explained that any level for any channel less than 1.0 will trigger static when attempting to play DSD files. I was not aware of that requirement and did not notice the slider setting had changed. Rob corrected that.

He also cautioned me to make sure Less Is More is operating alone without iTunes in the mix, i.e., open at the same time as Less Is More.

There was one other adjustment that, I am embarrassed I do not remember. Rob had control of my system and was moving through the Preference settings with lightning speed. I have a vague memory, but I am on my iPad2. I will boot up my Mac Mini and launch PM 2.01 and sort through the Preference file to recall. It was not critical. The settings I described to you were the critical ones.

It is possible I have not touched on any problems you may encounter. I did not due diligence including reading the relevant sections of the user manual. And when everything I attempted did not result in eliminating the static, I requested the remote support session. Who knew that an incremental reduction in a volume setting of less than 1.0 could defeat DSD play by causing static? Rob knew. And that alone was worth the session with him. Eventually I would have seen the slider's position but would have never made the connection between DSD enabled play without static and the position if the slider. Sorry to be so long winded. Perhaps you are hoping for more details on other settings. I was so close to what works that my problems were not broad enough to be that helpful.

Good fortune with your set up.

Best,

Richard

Good fortune with your set up.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your experience with DSD and PM 2.0 Much appreciated.

I still haven't succeeded, but I'm in touch with Rob via e-mail on some other issues, so hopefully we will get to the bottom of this DSD thing also. I think Rob is quite busy right now, so it may take a little while.

I find the SQ of PM so much in my taste, that I'm willing to put in as much effort as needed, to make PM run properly.

Cheers

Lars

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your experience with DSD and PM 2.0 Much appreciated.

I still haven't succeeded, but I'm in touch with Rob via e-mail on some other issues, so hopefully we will get to the bottom of this DSD thing also. I think Rob is quite busy right now, so it may take a little while.

I find the SQ of PM so much in my taste, that I'm willing to put in as much effort as needed, to make PM run properly.

Hello Lars,

Glad to be of service in any way I can even if only to send you in what I believe is the right direction, in this case, to the designer, Rob. Happy to learn you are hanging in there. Patience has its own reward. I imagine Rob is busy. I suspect all the designers are busy. I appreciate the time, energy and know-how to make these players we so highly desire work for us in the way they are intended and the way we intend to use them. Some times the two intentions conflict, and our control of that outcome is somewhat limited. Hopefully, Rob will get you right as soon as possible. Thank you for the kind words.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I got the response back from Channel D on the Play List problem. Here is what they said:

Sorry that you are having trouble. We are aware of this issue, and will address it in a free incremental update. For the time being, please disable Integer mode, switch to Less is More, then Integer may be re-enabled (open Audio Setup in Pure Music via the Pure Music pull-down menu). If you are using the Quick Playlist feature, after switching back to Integer mode, also select Reset Handshaking in the Pure Music pull-down menu.

Looks like there is a simple work around.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I got the response back from Channel D on the Play List problem. Here is what they said:

Sorry that you are having trouble. We are aware of this issue, and will address it in a free incremental update. For the time being, please disable Integer mode, switch to Less is More, then Integer may be re-enabled (open Audio Setup in Pure Music via the Pure Music pull-down menu). If you are using the Quick Playlist feature, after switching back to Integer mode, also select Reset Handshaking in the Pure Music pull-down menu.

Looks like there is a simple work around.

Thank you for passing this on.