IGNORED

Pure Music 2

I do not have a beef with the $44 upgrade (although that is near the full cost of JRiver). I do have a beef with them raising the price to $74.95 after just 13 days. It is embarrassing that they would do this, and not give their previous users time to discover the upgrade, or decide if the upgrade is worth it. $74.95 is waaaay to much for a upgrade price also. JRiver charges $24.95.

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

I do not have a beef with the $44 upgrade (although that is near the full cost of JRiver). I do have a beef with them raising the price to $74.95 after just 13 days. It is embarrassing that they would do this, and not give their previous users time to discover the upgrade, or decide if the upgrade is worth it. $74.95 is waaaay to much for a upgrade price also. JRiver charges $24.95.

I upgraded Pure Vinyl last month. It was 75.00, and I saw it as a donation. Really did not need to update PV. Glad I did.

Did not get an email with my old code to get the current user discount. Emailed Customer Service to get it. Rob emailed back and said to use the PV upgrade code. And the PM upgrade to 2.0 is free.

The support provided is fantastic. And I do not see it as paying for a fix. PM 189 worked fine in my system.

My only compliant, the registration code is too long. It is 25 characters.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Paid for upgrade after a couple of days on Demo...but now the playback gets hung up, won't change to next song using iTunes???

Downloaded the 2.0.1...had to reset handshake a couple of times, mute button on PM display does nothing, doesn't continue to next song on an album?

I could be doing stuff wrong...folks make tech stuff idiot-proof for guys like me.

Tone with Soul

Paid for upgrade after a couple of days on Demo...but now the playback gets hung up, won't change to next song using iTunes???

Downloaded the 2.0.1...had to reset handshake a couple of times, mute button on PM display does nothing, doesn't continue to next song on an album?

I could be doing stuff wrong...folks make tech stuff idiot-proof for guys like me.

Probably worth contacting Rob. I've found the best and worst of PM is its complexity/adaptability.

(and sound quality, reliability, interface, etc...)

Recently got snagged by gapless play 'til I went back and read the manual again ...

I don't follow your logic. I rarely use Pure Music anymore and I still paid them the $49 for the upgrade cost. Pure Music is a technical triumph, and it's designer is a brilliant guy. Really nice to work with too.

This is the first cost upgrade to Pure Music in *four years*, during which time the technology has evolved tremendously. From making MP3s sound a bit better to dealing with quad rate DSD. That's incredible progress in what many think of as a "staid" industry. Not to mention the competitive landscape has certainly changed.

I expect the next major revision to A+ will be a cost upgrade too.

Those folks have to eat you know...

-Paul

+1500

I agree..

I was also

I did puremusic volume control to 0 dB

now improved

Be sure your display is not set to sleep.

Steve Plaskin

Does your PM bar stilll show DEMO version? Sounds like your activation code was not enetered correctly and it is still in demo mode. I think once demo time period expires it still plays, just for a short time and with limited functionality. Entering an incorrect activation code will do this. Check the email and verify what they sent matches what youi have entered under Preference/Registration.

And, I think it does sound better. The starts and stops on notes is clearer, plus has better defination of images. Overall, better than my latest version of Audirvana. I liked the sonic changes built into some earlier versions of A+. Those had pleasing colorations and PM2.01 offers a less colored option.

May be that it interfaces better with my dac. The dac sounds best with everything upsampled to 96/24. Software conversion is better than the hardware upsampler built in. And the PM upsampler is 96/64. This is not optional with my dac, the Lyngdorf Room Perfect DRC chip only runs at 96/24. The DRC is defeatable, the upsampling is not.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Had the demo here for a couple of days I cannot hear any sonic difference between it and the previous version, not much difference in the interface either so I am finding it hard to justify the price of the "upgrade".

My only worry is that the old version will stop being supported in the future.

MBP>Chevron Audio Sabre UV player/Dac/Meridian Explorer dac>Chevron Audio Paradox Pre>Leema Hydra 2>Leema Xavier speakers.

I think PM officially launched sometime in 2010. I got on board with PM in January 2011. I ran with PM as my primary playback software until June 2012 when I acquired Audivrana mainly over the loss of Integer Mode when Mac OS 10.7 was released and the resultant change in sound I experienced. It was February 2013 that I got JRMC 18 for Mac but I didn't ever really fully implement it. In September 2013 with the introduction of JRMC 19 for Mac I made the transition from Audivrana/iTunes as my main tool to JRiver. Here we are at the end of May 2014 and only about 3 1/2 years of transition through this playback and library management tools yet it seems so much has transpired.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I was an early adopter of PM and have used it ever since (including some fantastic costumer support along the way) and was more than happy to pay the modest upgrade fee ...

+1 Rob is aces in my book. Plus I think the new version sounds better.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Listened for about 3 hours last night and I swear this version sounds better. Expectation bias? Probably. DBT? Nope. The whole package is simply more enjoyable (including a quicker response time). I suspect all the "under the hood" tweaks made a difference in SQ (but what do I know?). No regrets paying for this upgrade. As usual IMO, YMMV, ect., ect., ect.

I have to agree, the SQ is better in my system.

Hytek

Did PM do anything to,the playback engine? Nothing that I know of. So, I am a little confused when some report or attribute better SQ to PM. I am just wondering how many upgraded OSX and iTunes at around the same time and are incorrectly crediting PM with the improvement.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

This week-end we had done a comparition between de two last versions. We had two different high-end systems (Nagra icw Avalon and a system build around Jeff Rowland icw Magnepan). Two persons out of Twelve heard a small difference.

One other thing: i payed for the upgrade, only to support the developper, but it was the first time in more than 30 years that i had to pay for bug-fixes.

Synology DS 1513 +

Room 1: Mac Mini (Yosemite) --- Nagra HD Dac --- Nagra Jazz --- 2x Devialet 400 --- Sonus Faber Olympica III

Office: Mac Mini --- Meridan 818 V2 --- Vincent SA 93 Plus --- 2x Vincent SP 995 --- Audio Physics Tempo 25 Plus

Car Hifi: Burmester Sound System

Maybe people are just imagining a SQ improvement.

If I am the developer, and I make changes to improve sound quality, I am going to feature that very prominently next to the upgrade button on the web page. The fact that they did not suggests that any improvements are minimal, or that they are the unintended consequence of something else.

However, as with others, I have upgraded in recognition of the improvements made in the last few years that Pure Music did not charge for. Even though I was a little underwhelmed with the new feature set of V2

I am just wondering how many upgraded OSX and iTunes at around the same time and are incorrectly crediting PM with the improvement.

No upgrades anywhere for me. I just installed the demo version of PM2 and gave a listen compared to my old version 1.89G R3. PM2 sounds a bit more vivid and enjoyable (musical) to me. I also gave PM2 a cursory comparison to Amarra, Fidelia, Audirvana+, Decibel, Bit Perfect, etc. This is the first time I felt Pure Music was a standout from the crowd, Amarra having been my preference prior to this. Of course it could all be my imagination, but I will be buying the upgrade.

Hytek

If I am the developer, and I make changes to improve sound quality, I am going to feature that very prominently next to the upgrade button on the web page. The fact that they did not suggests that any improvements are minimal, or that they are the unintended consequence of something else.

I agree 100%. If they made a SQ improvement, why wouldn't Channel D tout that? Of course it could be unintended consequences as you suggest or it could be system dependent in some way. Hence the reason I will buy the existing version of PM2 soon before they "fix" it and ruin what I'm hearing. I will also avoid upgrades to the version of iTunes I'm using 10.7 (21) just in case it has something to do with the performance. It could also be the OS that is coming into play. I am using Mountain Lion but also tried PM2 with Snow Leopard. In both case I felt I heard the same improvements.

I don't think it's my imagination because I made some comparisons with the older version of PM and always heard an improvement. Before this I never thought PM stood out in any way from the rest of the pack. In fact, I always considered it well behind the others in SQ and probably my least favorite player.

Hytek