IGNORED

Article: The Audio Salon Pono Event Wrap-up

But Chris, no direct comments on the actual sound of the Pono player? I assume you were listening to a prototype of the "Ayre" Pono player? How did it sound over hi-end headphones and a hi-end system? Hi-end? How did it sound to other somewhat comparable solutions you've heard?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

But Chris, no direct comments on the actual sound of the Pono player? I assume you were listening to a prototype of the "Ayre" Pono player? How did it sound over hi-end headphones and a hi-end system? Hi-end? How did it sound to other somewhat comparable solutions you've heard?

I listened to the PonoPlayer on the larger systems. I've already listened via my JH13 IEMs. It sounds terrific. This was the unanimous sentiment by all who attended.

We didn't have any other comparable solutions on hand to A/B, but that wasn't the goal of the event.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Pono Players (2 - one black and one yellow) that John had with him he mentioned in passing at one point in the evening were the original prototypes and did not have the new Ayre electronics in them. There were pretty beat up especially the yellow one. He assured us that the final versions delivered would sound better than what we were listening to.

I think it was very important that John was clear that Pono was about delivering an excellent music experience and that they were first and foremost a music store that would ensure the integrity of that experience. When I asked him further about this and the Pono players. He was clear that they were a means to that end as there currently aren't other options that meet their objectives. At some point in the future when there are other players that meet their objectives they would stop making players as they are only a means to the end of ensuring the music experience.

What a great event where the CEO of this company would come and spend time in a completely open forum answering any and all questions thrown at him and there were some tough ones. John was completely relaxed and sincere about the company's direction. This all assured me that the Kickstarter pledge I made was a good one and that I would be happy with the result.

Hearing how the evening progressed I am sorry I left relatively early.

curious on display tabletop, which speakers?

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Do they actually have any music for sale yet?

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.