IGNORED

Society of Sound in 24/96

I just listened to Haitink's Bruckner's 9th that I downloaded from the B&W Society of Sound site. To my great surprise it showed up as 96K on my DAC. I wasn't aware that they had these available. I didn't notice anything about the sample rate when I downloaded it. All my previous downloads have been 24/48. I hope this continues. The album had wonderful sound and an excellent performance.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just listened to Haitink's Bruckner's 9th that I downloaded from the B&W Society of Sound site. To my great surprise it showed up as 96K on my DAC. I wasn't aware that they had these available. I didn't notice anything about the sample rate when I downloaded it. All my previous downloads have been 24/48. I hope this continues. The album had wonderful sound and an excellent performance.

That's good.

Their Beethoven's 9th, nominally 24/48, turned out to be 16-bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to join the Society of Sound primarily because that Bruckner 9th got a rave review by Stephen Chakwin in ARG magazine. Although the performance is admirably scrupulous, it leaves me unmoved.

On the other hand, I feel the membership was worthwhile because I enjoyed the Berlioz Te Deum conducted by Colin Davis, also 24/96. (Although not quite as dramatic as Abbado's 1982 recording with the same orchestra.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7