IGNORED

High-priced boutique USB cables: worthwhile, or a waste?

So why isn't more emphasis put on making wireless DACs? That seems like the ultimate solution.

Only because it solves the particular problem you're looking at. :) Just like optical was going to solve the electrical isolation problem, but whoops, it had its own problems (as do wireless solutions, "one box" solutions that eliminate external interface cables, etc.). All of these solutions involve tradeoffs, at least currently - which is only to say we haven't reached perfection. As that isn't something I expect, I'm not disappointed. While none of this stuff is perfect, a lot of it sounds damn good. Kind of along the same lines as saying that we haven't invented a perfect race car, but any F1 machine will beat the pants off a street car on a Grand Prix circuit, so we're doing OK so far.

You are right, I was disappointed with optical. I wanted to believe it would be the best, since it has perfect electrical isolation. The glass one at least sounded as good as my USB/spdif (Halide bridge), but the DAC had trouble locking onto an 96kHz signal. I attribute the difference, therefore, do the imperfection (limitation, defect?) of the DAC.

I'm constrained to point out you changed the cable and blamed the difference on the DAC. :D Actually two things changed, the cable and the DAC input interface, so it could be either. (Edit: BTW, Toslink, whether glass or plastic, is bandwidth-limited in comparison to coax or USB, which is likely why most such interfaces don't provide for input above 96kHz.)

As much as I would enjoy hanging with you, I'm hoping we shouldn't have to be reduced to listening to USB cables.

OK, we can talk about bikes.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

kbkaran

As an SBT user , you may find the replies by Pete W starting at post 6 of interest.

Regards

Alex

DAC/PC power supply experiment report - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum

Sandy, yes, I had soundcheck' TouchToolbox and still run with a Wellborne labs Linear power supply, i have the EDO plugin and running with 'very large buffer with randomise' setting. Since I thought I had a very good digital source, it was revelatory for me to see the improvements made by the uLink usb converter. If you want to quantify it, it is about 20% but in this hobby we are at the edge of diminishing returns. The sound is more "solid" now. The recording venue ambience is more tangible. I use the cheapest Audiquest usb cable at the shortest length possible from the iUSB power. Every link in my system, every dollar has been thoroughly researched before I paid for it (under the watchful eyes of my wife :-) )

I think even the bel Canto tech lead is incredulous on how the more and more accurate clocks are making a difference in the sound. Wireworld's Salz similarly cannot believe how some materials (silver, insulation) improve the sound. With high-end audiophilia we are at an edge where we still dont understand or quantify things.

Just like those people who won't step back and assess if what they "hear" is actually real!

I'm not saying who is right with any absolute; just saying you can't ignore people who have the alternative point of view by dismissing them as "the have never listened".

Eloise

. So true. The way I look at this listening stuff, we are all different which means our brain is different and we all have opinions about what we can hear and we all should be respected for those opinions. People can argue and disagree but in the end, I can't hear like Billy Bob ( fictitious) and nobody should attempt to force upon me that I need to hear like Billy Bob be it USB cables, power cables, amps, a room or even opera music. It's not going to happen. People that want to continue to harp about some belief they have and try their best to force that belief on others can be ignored. It's rather simple, don't respond. But in life where there are those that must have the last word for the good of all things audio.

The Truth Is Out There

Sandy ... you can't the argument both ways - either exception bias stops people hearing differences BUT will also cause people to experience differences where there are none; or everyone whatever their opinion can listen and with skill avoid exception bias!

Of course I know you won't accept either of those alternatives ....

That last point is utter BS. NOBODY, can avoid Expectation Bias, and you need to take it into account, as most experienced listeners do. Even mood and differences in BP can account for some differences heard. Sometimes my gear can sound like shit, and I could jump to the conclusion that the last change made things worse. You need to verify your findings by further observations over a period of time.

I have stated MANY times that I rarely post any of my findings without confirmation from other experienced listeners first, and that's AFTER further observations before I involve others, as I did with John Kenny and Marcin from jPlay with an extended series of tests spread over several months where they confirmed my reports, even by using P.C restarts etc. as requested by Josef from jPlay.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

they don't want to, their not interested and they could careless

Hmmmm. I wonder which member has said that almost word for word to me previously ? (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020