IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1 ES & C.A.P.S. Zuma Sound Quality Comparison

I would love to hear from those who have first hand experience with both the Sony HAP-Z1ES and a C.A.P.S. Zuma type setup. It seems that both are capable great sound quality, with one being totally customizable in every way (Zuma) and one being ready out of the box (Sony). There are a lot of great reasons to go with either, but for those who have heard both approaches - how do you compare and contrast the sound quality?

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

I would love to hear from those who have first hand experience with both the Sony HAP-Z1ES and a C.A.P.S. Zuma type setup. It seems that both are capable great sound quality, with one being totally customizable in every way (Zuma) and one being ready out of the box (Sony). There are a lot of great reasons to go with either, but for those who have heard both approaches - how do you compare and contrast the sound quality?
Depends on the DAC you hang on the Zuma.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Depends on the DAC you hang on the Zuma.

Great point: The one thing the manufacturers have on the DIY crew is the analog outs in the commercial boxes.

Has anyone found a sound card that yields satisfactory analog-out from a computer?

Has anyone found a sound card that yields satisfactory analog-out from a computer?

It depends how you define satisfactory...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Great point: The one thing the manufacturers have on the DIY crew is the analog outs in the commercial boxes.

It depends how you define satisfactory...

Yes but there's no shortage of candidates.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile