IGNORED

Opinions on New JRemote version released May 6, 2014

It says it is a completely reworked versions for iOS 7. At first look I'm not sure I really like it. The functionality seem to be there but the look is soft, not as crisp and clean.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
It says it is a completely reworked versions for iOS 7. At first look I'm not sure I really like it. The functionality seem to be there but the look is soft, not as crisp and clean.

I am still getting used to it. It does appear to be lightening fast, much faster than the 2.x version, and that was not slow.

It also streams AIFF files to my iPhone and iPad - Joy!!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I like the graphic look and a few of the new features like the +/_ jump buttons for forwarding playback.

The addtional "playlist window" feature doesn't open/close the way it should, IMO.

I agree it does seem snappier.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just downloaded this update last night. Not sure about the new look but it is in line with the whole new look of iOS. Functionality seems the same with some minor changes. Seemed to me when I was moving through my albums though that the images were loading slower. Could be where I was in the house though as my WiFi connection varies considerably. Had to re-connect my server and dig out the password which was a bit of a pain but only have to do it the first time so no big deal.

image.jpg

I am a little bit afraid and don't want to do the update. I am really happy with the old version! Can you please upload some screenshots of the new design?

image.jpg

Frank Zappa

I downloaded it on my iPad Mini last night…it is awesome!!!

The full bitrate streaming (although DSD still requires transcoding to MP3 320 which is simply a toggle switch), the layout, the speed. 3.0 is a far better version than either 2.0 or 1.0.

I don't know what it is like on an iPhone, though.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I think I understand what might be bothering me about the look of the new JRemote. Typically I'm am playing in shuffle mode from a playlist so artwork is changing every song in the view. The background to the artwork and thumbnails was a fairly neutral gray color which is the best for viewing color accurately. With this new version the background color picks up cues from the cover art color in the artwork. For example if the cover artwork has a dominate red color scheme a reddish background appears behind the artwork and thumbnails. This has an effect of both "distorting" the accuracy of the color and somewhat neutralizing or flattening the image. I think this may be part of the reason I see this presentation as less dimensional

I've contacted JRemote in hopes they might consider instituting a user choice for a fixed neutral gray background. I understand that many people might think "so what" and appreciate this kaleidoscope of color background but I spend my day dealing with color accuracy.

image.jpg

P.S. This is not a "mission critical" issue to me but simply a matter of personal preference. Still the best remote app out there.

Frank Zappa

I've had a couple of instances of JRMC quitting while I've been controlling playback of music from my server (via a headless Mac mini to a Sonore Rendu) with JRemote V3 on an iPad mini. I've emailed Robert Tyan - if it happens again I'll try to get more detailed info.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

JRemote 3.0: in the "playing now" view, there is a window with the plalist of the left and on the right a window with either the album cover, or with detailed metadata info.

The specific track "playing now" is highlighted by a lighted "speaker" icon. On previous versions of JRiver this icon "moved down" ther rows of the playlist as each song is played. And as a result the entire playlist "moved up" in the window so you could see at a glance which track was playing and its place in the playlist. In the new version 3.0, the "playing now" icon moves down the list, but list doesn't "move up". So when the speaker icon gets to the bottom of the screen/window of the playlist it disappears down the list to the next track and can't be seen.

You have to manually scroll the playlist to make the currently playing track appear on the screen again.

I think this isn't how it is supposed to work.

Or am I being an idiot and not seeing something obvious?

Thanks

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I think I understand what might be bothering me about the look of the new JRemote. Typically I'm am playing in shuffle mode from a playlist so artwork is changing every song in the view. The background to the artwork and thumbnails was a fairly neutral gray color which is the best for viewing color accurately. With this new version the background color picks up cues from the cover art color in the artwork. For example if the cover artwork has a dominate red color scheme a reddish background appears behind the artwork and thumbnails. This has an effect of both "distorting" the accuracy of the color and somewhat neutralizing or flattening the image. I think this may be part of the reason I see this presentation as less dimensional

I've contacted JRemote in hopes they might consider instituting a user choice for a fixed neutral gray background. I understand that many people might think "so what" and appreciate this kaleidoscope of color background but I spend my day dealing with color accuracy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12311[/ATTACH]

P.S. This is not a "mission critical" issue to me but simply a matter of personal preference. Still the best remote app out there.

Did you go to settings and change the "theme" from "dark" to "light" and still have the same concerns?

Perhaps they can add a third "theme" called "legacy" and have the old look as a choice?

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Spent a bit of time with it now.

1. The "light" view seems dull to me. It's bland and gray instead of bright and colorful like other iOS apps. It feels like a weird mix of styles, like it's half-finished.

2. I don't see the point in the 30/60s buttons. Maybe it makes sense for podcasts? Just seems like clutter, and I use a separate app for podcasts because it will sync my progress across devices.

3. At least half the time, swiping from the right side scrolls the current view instead of bringing up the playlist. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I've never used the full-screen playlist view.

Tapping the current song name should display/hide the playlist view, even now that it has moved to the right side of the screen.

Tapping on a part of the screen that is not covered by the playlist, should hide the playlist.

JRemote 3.0: in the "playing now" view, there is a window with the plalist of the left and on the right a window with either the album cover, or with detailed metadata info.

The specific track "playing now" is highlighted by a lighted "speaker" icon. On previous versions of JRiver this icon "moved down" ther rows of the playlist as each song is played. And as a result the entire playlist "moved up" in the window so you could see at a glance which track was playing and its place in the playlist. In the new version 3.0, the "playing now" icon moves down the list, but list doesn't "move up". So when the speaker icon gets to the bottom of the screen/window of the playlist it disappears down the list to the next track and can't be seen.

You have to manually scroll the playlist to make the currently playing track appear on the screen again.

Thanks

No, you are exactly correct and the screen did previously scroll up as the icon moved down. I just sent them an email to inquire about it.

Frank Zappa
Did you go to settings and change the "theme" from "dark" to "light" and still have the same concerns?

Perhaps they can add a third "theme" called "legacy" and have the old look as a choice?

John

Yes I have. The Dark or Light selection only changes the Home page from dark gray to light gray but the Now Playing screen remains with the color change format based on the base color of the artwork.

My preference would be for a Legacy appearance also. I'm sure to most it means nothing it is following suit with iTunes and Apple ios7 color scheme but I can't understand why.

Frank Zappa

I contacted JRemote with a couple of emails on Wednesday expressing my opinion and asking for an option to have the Legacy version. I've no reply as of this time.

Frank Zappa

I love the speed of the new update, as well as the fun color change based on cover art (a staple of IOS 7 music apps it seems, as the Sony HAP and others do it too). My only slight gripe is the one about the now playing blue icon hiding beneath the screen if the song is low enough in the playlist to not be viewable without scrolling. It's be no means a show stopper, but we've come to expect a LOT from this amazing remote app. :)

I think a legacy option would be nice, but not if it hinders other development. I also think the 30 and 60 second ff and rew buttons are meaningless for audio (good for video and skipping commercials, but when I need to move ahead in anything audio it is never in increments of 30 seconds unless coincidental). The current and previous manual moving of the time bar was good enough for this purpose. I might change my mind for a/b'ing sections of a song, but I doubt it.

I contacted JRemote with a couple of emails on Wednesday expressing my opinion and asking for an option to have the Legacy version. I've no reply as of this time.

Probably have to post over on Interact - the developer is now or soon will be a JRiver employee. -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I posted to his info@ address on the JRiver app home page and got an answer the same day - 2 days ago.

Probably have to post over on Interact - the developer is now or soon will be a JRiver employee. -Paul

Really? That's great to hear.

His app is one of the main reasons I chose JRiver as playback software, I wonder how many other people did that too...

As a programmer (albeit at a corporation), its nice to see a high-quality project be recognized and further that developer's career. The guy that developed the iSub app (for the Subsonic server system) got himself a job at Apple because of the work he did, and while that meant no more updates, it made me happy.

Thanks

Same for me. I miss the playlist autoscroll.

On the other hand I prefer the new volume cursor .

Udayan

I posted to his info@ address on the JRiver app home page and got an answer the same day - 2 days ago.

I guess he doesn't like me. I posted Wednesday and Thursday without reply.

Frank Zappa
I guess he doesn't like me. I posted Wednesday and Thursday without reply.

He's probably been overwhelmed the past few days with email and can't get back to everyone if he is going to "fix" the app.