IGNORED

Unwanted Noise, Help Please!!

Another thought... If we are thinking the problem may be due to the proximity of the PSU to the motherboard, etc; could you (for testing) remove the PSU from the case using something like this -- ATX 24 Pin Male to 24 Pin Female Internal PC PSU Power Extension Cable | eBay

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I would still try One and a half's suggestion of trying a spare USB cable with the shield opened (carefully! ) near the USB plug at the device end.

This breaks an earth loop due to many USB devices having the shield and 0 volts (black wire) connected internally.

Also ensure that the PSU is properly earthed to the case and mains I.E.C earth with a DMM if you have one.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I started another thread about my desktop audio problem that started when I switched speakers from Focal CMS 40s to Quad 12L actives, going from dead quiet to a concert of hash and other noise (Computer Audio ticking noise). After inserting a HUM-X on the computer power line and turning down the speakers' volume, audible ticking remained the operative problem. Then curiosity got me to look at the SOtM PCI-USB card instructions again, and I noticed that the power switch controls USB port 1, while I had the USB cable's power line in port 2. Switching them lowered the ticking a bit, still audible, but workable for now.