IGNORED

HDTracks Offers 352/8/24 Downloads

Mark Waldrep has indicated in this post on his blog that DSD128 provides the same resolution as 24-96PCM:

I believe Waldrep is not the right guy to talk about this, maybe he need too much editing on his recordings (easy on PCM), and / or doesn't want to invest in DSD recording gear. Also, if he is hearing noise on DSD128 it should be checked by his ENT looking for tinnitus.

Independent from the above, when we judge DSD versus PCM , we must also bear in mind that we are judging the ability of our DAC for each of the formats.

I don't believe 352K is equivalent to nothing in DSD, the SQ is very different (at least to my ears and gear).

Roch

Because that is the inherent claim of all the high res sites. They all claim they don't upsample material, and have been known to remove files like that when they've been shown to be fake hi-res. I'll reverse the question: on what basis do you assume the default is that the files aren't hi-res? Just an assumption on your part, isn't it?

Yes, I assume that if a vendor is charging a premium without explicitly stating just what justifies that premium-in other words, if a vendor is relying on my assumption that what's being provided is what I think I'm paying for--then said vendor is, potentially, playing a game.

It's that whole "caveat emptor/read-the-fine-print" thing.

I don't believe 352K is equivalent to nothing in DSD, the SQ is very different (at least to my ears and gear).

Roch

Yep, my experience also. I render out the five channels that make a surround mix from the seven to twenty-four DSD session channels , using a Pyramix DXD Project. This allows me to change the levels and monitor in DXD the DSD content, then using the DSD Render of the Create DSD Edit Master option, incorporate the contained Philips Modulator to render a DSD file without going through DXD.

The point is that after monitoring the DSD file in DXD, then playing the same rendered DSD file as a DSD file, the difference is immediately apparent. There's a sharpness in the DXD version that not in the DSD.

Because that is the inherent claim of all the high res sites. They all claim they don't upsample material, and have been known to remove files like that when they've been shown to be fake hi-res.

Do they? Often, download sites simply list the titles available and do not provide any information on the sourcing of the downloads. In cases like that, I suppose the music buyer could make some assumptions as to the source of the files.

If you really want to be sure, the best bet is to focus on downloads where it says they came from a DSD master or an Analog Master Tape. I find that DSD Downloads from these sources sound quite a bit better than others where the origins of the file remain undisclosed.

Do they? Often, download sites simply list the titles available and do not provide any information on the sourcing of the downloads. In cases like that, I suppose the music buyer could make some assumptions as to the source of the files.

If you really want to be sure, the best bet is to focus on downloads where it says they came from a DSD master or an Analog Master Tape. I find that DSD Downloads from these sources sound quite a bit better than others where the origins of the file remain undisclosed.

My experience exactly. Thanks for chiming in.

My experience exactly. Thanks for chiming in.

Thanks. I have to say that I am discovering some excellent recordings that way. Some of the Jazz albums on Super HiRez from Analog Masters are quite compelling in DSD. Not to mention the Elvis Stereo '57 album. And over on NativeDSD, the Channel Classics and Harmonia Mundi native DSD recordings are very good.

A good time to be an audio fan!