IGNORED

Question Regarding Deleting One Metadata Field And It's Effect On Backup Size

I have been using both iTunes with Audivrana and JRiver for Mac. When I first went to JRiver I enabled a metadata field I hadn't used before. The result was when I went to do my weekly backup that single data field caused my entire library (900GB) to back up. I had to wipe my 2TB backup drives and start over losing my earliest backups. It was more a pain in the rear than anything. Now I want to edit two more data fields but really don't want to go through the massive backup again if possible.

I want to delete one metadata field that contains the same information under Grouping in both iTunes and JRiver. I also want to delete the content of the metadata field for Dynamic Range in JRiver which I manually edited using information from an offline DR tool I used. Then I want to use the Audio Analysis tool in JRiver which will fill two metadata fields relating to dynamic range.

Do you think this will generate the massive backup again? Is there anyway to avoid it (other than not doing what I am suggesting)?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I have been using both iTunes with Audivrana and JRiver for Mac. When I first went to JRiver I enabled a metadata field I hadn't used before. The result was when I went to do my weekly backup that single data field caused my entire library (900GB) to back up. I had to wipe my 2TB backup drives and start over losing my earliest backups. It was more a pain in the rear than anything. Now I want to edit two more data fields but really don't want to go through the massive backup again if possible.

I want to delete one metadata field that contains the same information under Grouping in both iTunes and JRiver. I also want to delete the content of the metadata field for Dynamic Range in JRiver which I manually edited using information from an offline DR tool I used. Then I want to use the Audio Analysis tool in JRiver which will fill two metadata fields relating to dynamic range.

Do you think this will generate the massive backup again?

Is there anyway to avoid it (other than not doing what I am suggesting)?

Yes.

No.

Every backup system I've seen, such as Carbon Copy Cloner which is my music and work lifesaver, backs up files based on any -- and we mean any -- changes to that file.

So, even if you just cut a single letter from an album name, say because of a misspelling, that whole album will be copied again during the backup process.

And since the metadata is part of each music track -- each music file -- then changing them all will make your backup software copy (aka, backup) all.

How important is this metadata change you want?

Relative to how annoying it is to back up the entire library?

Those are your choices, I think.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately I think you are probably right. Is the change necessary, no. Is redoing the primary and secondary backup too massive an undertaking, no. But it not something I cherish doing although most of my effort is staring at the screen on occasion to check the status. With a 900+ GB library I thought maybe it was time to move from 2TB HDD to 4TB HDD and if I do make that decision I could wait to enact the change then.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

This is why I don't make Time-machine type backups of my music library. I use rysnc (wrapped in the front-end Forklift.app). The backup doesn't grown in size unless I add new music files. It also offers the option of updating files with an older creation date or file size. So in your case, I could just make the same metadata modifications directly on the backup.