IGNORED

E-Sata vs USB 3.0 Audio Quality

Is E-SATA still regarded as better than USB in regards to audio quality for external storage?

I don't know about sound quality, but SATA it is more efficient with significantly less CPU load and with advanced disk access features. (Depending on particular SATA controller too...)

I'm using small 2.5" FW800 disk on Mac Mini, but otherwise for continuous use I would pick either E-SATA or Thunderbolt disk these days.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Is E-SATA still regarded as better than USB in regards to audio quality for external storage?

One of the main issues is if using a USB DAC, you want to avoid having the HDD on USB.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I tried esata & externally powered case for storage vs internal sata.

I was expecting the esata to sound better as external power well shielded esata cable etc.

It was quite clear to me, my storage hdd sounded better when using internal power and normal internal sata cable, than when it was in the external case with the well shielded cable..??

So my esata case & cable is in the cupboard somewhere..

My ears my kit of course, I would suggest trying for your self as I would guess all kit will vary, as well as ears ;-)