IGNORED

clicking and popping ALAC track on iPod classic

Hi,

I have a song that I recorded, which I converted from a WAV file to an ALAC file using iTunes. The song plays on iTunes on my Macbook Pro with no problems, whether I play it directly through iTunes or using Audirvana Plus or BitPerfect through my HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp (PDA). However, when I transfer the ALAC file to either of my two iPod Classics, there are audible clicking and popping sounds present throughout the track. I have rebooted both iPods and their software is up to date. My iTunes software is also up to date. Please note, I am using the same headphones (Denon AH-D5000 for iTunes and iPod playback. The crackling and popping noises occur when I use the headphone jacks on the iPods or when I use my Onkyo ND-S1 dock through my HeadRoom PDA, so this is not a connection problem.

I have reconvereted the WAV file to an ALAC file twice using iTunes; the track still plays correctly on my Macbook through iTunes, but the track is still crackling and popping when I put it on my iPod.

If I convert the wav file to an AIFF file, it does not pop or click on either iTunes or my iPods.

This does not seem logical. There must be an error occuring when iTunes transfers the ALAC track to my iPods; however, I have >7000 ALAC tracks dispersed over 3 iPods and this is the first instance of this error.

In summary:

WAV to ALAC: clicking and popping on two iPod Classics but not on iTunes.

WAV to AIFF: no clicking on iPods or on iTunes.

Here is another interesting twist based on a test that I did. If I convert the AIFF file that I made in iTunes from the WAV file to an ALAC file using the program Max rather than iTunes, there are no clicking and popping sounds when I play the Max-created ALAC file with iTunes or on my iPod Classics. I transferred the ALAC file that I made in Max to my IPod using iTunes. This means that iTunes is somehow converting the WAV file to an ALAC file that exhibits no errors when played back with iTunes, but that does exhibit errors when played on either of my iPod Classics.

It seems that I've solved this problem. Convert the WAV file to an AIFF file in iTunes and then convert the AIFF file to an ALAC file using Max, but I should be able to convert the wav file directly to an ALAC file in iTunes. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Heath