IGNORED

Invicta Vs Mirus

I am fairly new to digital audio and loving it. I have the Resonessence Concero HP feeding my Grado PS1000 headphones now and love it. I'm looking into a DAC for home stereo use and have narrowed it down to an Invicta Gen 1 or Mirus. I can get the Invicta Gen 1 (original) for considerably less than the Mirus and I've been told would give me a step up headphone amplifier (from Concero HP) as well. That said I'd appreciate opinions and your thoughts on the purchase decision as I don't plan on changing out this stuff once bought and I'm told I'd hear a significant difference in sound between the two in my system (Esoteric DV50s disc player, Mastersound Compact 845 amp, Siltech cables, B&W 803d speakers, high end line conditioner). If I go the Mirus route I could always buy a headphone amplifier later for home use with the Mirus (but again more money). I'm struggling with the benefits versus the price difference.

Welcome to CA! I've enjoyed learning from many of the posters here.

If you really don't plan on upgrading frequently (I'm with you!) the technology has been moving pretty fast (your Concero would have been close to top of the heap 5years ago) and I'm tempted to recommend the Mirus. But it also depends on how old the Invicta is, as there were at least a few updates made to those. I think the main difference between the later Invicta and the Mirus is removal of the HP amp to put a second 9018 chip (and support circuits) in. This is not that huge a change, basically it should mean an additional 3db s/n.

if your dealer would lend you both to listen to that would be ideal-- you could decide with much more comfort just how much better the newer DAC is in your system.

[...] I'm struggling with the benefits versus the price difference.

Welcome on board!

Well this problem of incremental benefit versus incremental price is a tough one. I agree with pooger that if you're likely to hold on to this for many years, then more expensive is more likely justified, so long as you can afford it. If you'll feel itchy to change 18 months from now -- then perhaps the cheaper model.

It might be worth a weekend trip to the nearest dealer if that's possible. If this gear is something you'll live with for the next 5-10 years, that might be worthwhile -- and even fun.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately There isn't a practical way to hear both units in my system. If there is only a marginal difference in sound improvement then the Mirus isn't worth the more than $2500 delta over a Gen 1 Invicta. The Gen 1 is software upgrade able so has a lot of the updates except for the chipset and a few hw changes.

Still struggling. Has anyone heard the Invicta Gen 1 (original) or Mirus?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately There isn't a practical way to hear both units in my system. If there is only a marginal difference in sound improvement then the Mirus isn't worth the more than $2500 delta over a Gen 1 Invicta. The Gen 1 is software upgrade able so has a lot of the updates except for the chipset and a few hw changes.

Still struggling. Has anyone heard the Invicta Gen 1 (original) or Mirus?

The person you need to talk to is project86, he reviewed the Invicta and owns the Mirus. You might also want to check out the thread over at head fi just do a search for Resonssence Invicta Dac.

I own the Mirus it is an excellent dac, I now want to buy the Chord Qute EX DAC it's not released yet, but that is something you should research too, I have the Chord Hugo and the sound from that dac is very good.

Thanks Sonic77! Much appreciated. How come you own the Mirus and are looking for another dac? What has been your experience with the Mirus in terms of its sound?

Because I'm never satisfied, lol-The Mirus is a very good dac, the Hugo is also a very good dac at a lower price.

The mirus sound is...... I'm horrible at adjectives, clear and detailed are two words that stand out for me.

Right now I'm listening to the Mirus, not the Hugo. Why you ask?

Because the HD USB connection on my Hugo DAC got pushed in :( The HD USB connection on the Hugo is only connected to the circuit board by two soldered points, pretty weak connection for something that's going to be pulled and pushed on repeatedly. I still like and want to keep it, it's where I bought it getting fixed or returned, I don't know which yet, I'll find out next week.

I now want to buy the Chord Qute EX DAC it's not released yet, but that is something you should research too.

Isn't the Chord Qute EX introduced a few month ago and readily available? Is there coming a upgraded version of the Original one soon? (seems strange to me, as it was introduced recently) The Hugo seems to outperform the Qute EX.

Isn't the Chord Qute EX introduced a few month ago and readily available? Is there coming a upgraded version of the Original one soon? (seems strange to me, as it was introduced recently) The Hugo seems to outperform the Qute EX.

Your right, and I am going to skip the Chord Qute Ex.