IGNORED

Streamer that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz

I use airport express and its toslink output to output files stored on Synology server via Airplay. The apple express supports only 16-bit,44khz streams. Is there a streamer that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz streams? I am looking for something as simple as apple express. Connect to NAS, grab file and output over optical toslink link.

Sonore Rendu

Has Wired SPDIF output, BNC but you can use an BNC-to-RCA adaptor if necessary.

I found a massive improvement in SQ from this change (I had an Apple TV)

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Another one : sotm sms 100.

- less expensive than the Rendu

- output is usb only

I have no idea which one is the best... I just can say that the sotm is a great little box

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Sonore Rendu Has Wired SPDIF output, BNC but you can use an BNC-to-RCA adaptor if necessary. I found a massive improvement in SQ from this change (I had an Apple TV)
That's a expensive piece. How about Logitech Squeezebox Touch or something else. You said you noticed huge improvement in SQ. So if it is connected to the receiver via spdif do you use it as DAC or as pass-through?
  • 2 weeks later...

bwspot:

I use an AudioEngine D-2 (wireless DAC) which goes to 24/96. They may have something better in the works, I don't know. However, it works flawlessly with 24/96 for anything from my computer to my main system (Nola Boxers driven by Creek Audio 5350 SE).

Mike

That's a expensive piece. How about Logitech Squeezebox Touch or something else. You said you noticed huge improvement in SQ. So if it is connected to the receiver via spdif do you use it as DAC or as pass-through?

A SBT will work fine if you have one or can find one reasonably price. It'll stream up to 24/192 witht the EDO plug in. I found the SBT dac to be very "meh." It's functional but not particularly musical. Try it spdif out to your receiver and analog out (be sure to use "Pure direct" or whatever it's called on you receiver) and see which one you prefer. You can always add an outboard dac if you want the best sound quality. I love my Touch (used with an outboard dac) and dread the day I have to replace it.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

I've been using a Squeezebox Touch with success for a few years now. And with the "Enhanced Digital Output" plugin it plays 24/192. I would think that if you are using the plugin, then you are using the Touch's DAC. Activating the plugin disables the analog output, so if you go out analog, and your 24/192 files are playing, they are probably just being down sampled.

The SBT plus EDO can work great with an outboard DAC, but you need to make sure that it's a DAC that's compatible. They don't all work as desired. There's a growing list of compatible DACs available at the Logitech Squeezebox User Forums

Announce: Enhanced Digital Output app - USB Dac and 192k Digital Ouput