IGNORED

Amazon Prime

I ordered this...

315ZumvBarL._SY200_.jpg

...because a few of my headphones' 3.5mm plugs are too fat to plug into my iPhone or iPad when they are in their protective cases.

I get free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime, but for some reason they shipped this FedEx Priority Overnight Saturday Delivery at no additional charge. Happy to have it quickly, but that's an awful lot of resources for a $5 adaptor.

Yeah, it struck me as a bit of a waste too, so for some stuff I opted for "normal" shipping, and so then they would just delay shipping it for a few days and send it via the same courier. OTOH, it seemed is if I didn't order on Monday or Tuesday, they wouldn't come anywhere close to the two-day delivery rate. Then they started using Fedex Smartpost, which is a hell-disaster.

I didn't renew. My spending went down several hundred bucks per month.

Yeah, it struck me as a bit of a waste too, so for some stuff I opted for "normal" shipping, and so then they would just delay shipping it for a few days and send it via the same courier. OTOH, it seemed is if I didn't order on Monday or Tuesday, they wouldn't come anywhere close to the two-day delivery rate. Then they started using Fedex Smartpost, which is a hell-disaster.

When they started collecting tax in Texas, our Amazon purchase rate was cut in half. We still are Prime, but that is mostly for the half dozen things we buy from them each month and the streaming.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I wound up never using the streaming service or the Kindle library. I tried using streaming with a plugin to XBMC on my Jailbroken ATV2, but it was too fragile and clunky, and the only free movies were B-grade chick-flicks. Everything else you had to purchase at the same price as the iTunes ATV rental price. Then I noticed many of the prime items cost about 10% more than elsewhere on the internet, so you were effectively paying for shipping twice.

I did buy a lot of CDs when I had prime. I enrolled after I broke my ankle and going anywhere was a huge challenge. It was worth $80 for that and also the gas saved.

I actually am fully on board with them charging state sales tax.

I didn't renew for the same reasons and I lived 4 miles from the distribution center then as Paul notes Amazon started collecting sales tax in my state which at the the time was S.C. I have since moved to Fl and last week our Governor is looking to sign a bill to also collect sales tax on Amazon sales in this state.

The Truth Is Out There

I wound up never using the streaming service or the Kindle library. I tried using streaming with a plugin to XBMC on my Jailbroken ATV2, but it was too fragile and clunky, and the only free movies were B-grade chick-flicks. Everything else you had to purchase at the same price as the iTunes ATV rental price. Then I noticed many of the prime items cost about 10% more than elsewhere on the internet, so you were effectively paying for shipping twice.

I did buy a lot of CDs when I had prime. I enrolled after I broke my ankle and going anywhere was a huge challenge. It was worth $80 for that and also the gas saved.

I actually am fully on board with them charging state sales tax.

Invest in a Roku 3- it's a perfect complement to ATV, and allows one to access Amazon, Acorn, Warner Archive, and several other channels that fill in the gaps from ATV. (Acorn and Warner Arcive are $5/month each, but worth it for our family. Amazon Prime has some unique stuff these days.

As for sales tax, I am not on board with that at all. It's just another way for the state to gather income that disappears into some budgetary black hole. Local retailers, for the most part, purely suck around here. You have to deal with idiots in blue t-shirts, and to be honest, I am not really enthused to support those folks having a job at my expense. Not only that, the local stores have older equipment they are pushing for crazy high prices. Add in nutty return policies, and well - Amazon easily outclasses the vast majority of them. Local stores with people who know what they are talking about, yes, but those are few and far between here, and only carry limited lines of equipment. And today, they carry very low stock too.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Prime works out really well for me because of where I live. The only place in Gig Harbor that sells CDs anymore is Target, and I have to pay $4.25 to cross the Narrows Bridge anytime I want to go to a proper record store, or even a crappy one.