IGNORED

Moving question to a separate thread. Any comments appreciated!

Could it be upsampled stuff? Isn't this a bit suspicious looking at 20k? I've been listening to this download for a few days now and comparing it to FLAC rip of an old West Germany Vertigo Red Swirl CD of the same album. Honestly, can't hear much difference if any. Same master maybe?

This appears to be either from an SACD (perhaps the Japanese SHM-SACD) or DSD mastered based on the ultrasonic noise captured in your plot spectrum.

Love over Gold is my favorite Dire Straits album and a great sounding analog recording, the 180 gram LP is excellent, sorry this download didn't sound much better than the CD for you.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

This appears to be either from an SACD (perhaps the Japanese SHM-SACD) or DSD mastered based on the ultrasonic noise captured in your plot spectrum.

Love over Gold is my favorite Dire Straits album and a great sounding analog recording, the 180 gram LP is excellent, sorry this download didn't sound much better than the CD for you.

Hi Teresa,

I agree with you, it looks like downsampled from DSD, but I don't believe the 'noise' could be listenable by humans ears...

Best,

Roch

Teresa seems to right on the spot.

It seems that this was sourced from DSD.

If they have used the DSD remaster from the SHM-SACD, you should be fine, as that is my go to version of this album.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Could it be upsampled stuff? Isn't this a bit suspicious looking at 20k?

No, not upsampled, but it looks like an extremely steep shelving filter (as steep as a brick wall filter) at about 20 kHz has been applied to a source before conversion to DSD and then conversion to 192 kHz PCM with a low pass filter to remove most of the HF noise.

Hi everyone! Glad to be part of the community :)

Welcome! (Sorry I missed it the first time around.)

There definitely is real content up to about 30kHz. The background (noise) does look weird to me too, as you and others have noted. I defer to Goldsdad.

Is it possible there was a second round of processing, up-sampling from 96kHz to 192kHz? The top half of the spectrum being both noise-free and signal-free is quite odd.