IGNORED

Help With DSP EQ in Audivrana and JRiver for Mac

I've been battling some issues with my ears from colds and allergies for quite some time. The ENT did a hearing test today and to not much surprise I have an issue with a drop in the 4k to 6k band due to sustained exposure to loud sounds. Though I don't play music at the volumes I once did nor attend live shows anymore the years have caught up with me.

Anyways this his brings me to the idea of using DSP EQ in Audivrana and JRiver for Mac to boost those frequency ranges. Though I am comfortable in general use of both A+ and JRiver I have never used the audio plug ins and DSP features.

Could someone one provide some guidance and recommendations in the use of these features. I would like to see if they might help me better enjoy my music.

Thanks

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Seems to me that the easiest option would be configuring an AudioUnit effect. Open Audirvana preferences, click the 'AudioUnits' header, and check the box next to 'Use AudioUnits effects'. In one of the dropdown menus, select 'Apple: AUGraphicEQ', 'Apple: AUNBandEQ', or 'Apple: AUParametricEQ', then click 'Configure'. Modify the EQ settings as desired, then click 'Apply'.

Just made my first adjustments using the Apple Parametric EQ plugin. It's a little difficult to control/adjust the slider. I wish you could type in the values for frequency and gain. I also notice there isn't a "Q" adjustment as in JRiver.

It it will take some time to evaluate the accuracy and quality of the adjustments and their value to helping me.

Frank Zappa
Just made my first adjustments using the Apple Parametric EQ plugin. It's a little difficult to control/adjust the slider. I wish you could type in the values for frequency and gain. I also notice there isn't a "Q" adjustment as in JRiver.

You can adjust Q (reciprocal of bandwidth) by dragging one of the two vertical lines on either side of the dot that represents the center frequency.

Even more exciting: you can type numerical values for the parameters. Click the dot that represents the center frequency. This displays a yellow tool tip with the center frequency, amplitude, and Q values. Simply click any of the values and type in the desired value!

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

You can adjust Q (reciprocal of bandwidth) by dragging one of the two vertical lines on either side of the dot that represents the center frequency.

Even more exciting: you can type numerical values for the parameters. Click the dot that represents the center frequency. This displays a yellow tool tip with the center frequency, amplitude, and Q values. Simply click any of the values and type in the desired value!

It took me a little bit to get back to this but thank you for the guidance it did help and makes it way easier than trying to slide those things around and up and down.

Frank Zappa