IGNORED

Berkeley Alpha USB vs Bel Canto uLink vs Audiophilleo - Random Musings

I was almost ready to go with ap1+pp, then decided to hold and wait for a new DAC idsd pro which hopefully will take advantage of the PUC2 Lite's XLR connection.

Right now I'm enjoying the JKSPDIF mk3 plugged directly into DAC. Much less digital glare yet surprisingly more details, even with a humble 0.7m Supra USB cable.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

I have again resurrected this thread because I have decided to try yet one more USB/SPDIF converter, after reading good things about it - the Yellowtec PUC2.

This is the full PUC2, not the "lite" version. The latter is an interface only, while the "full" version is only a little more expensive but is also a DAC and A/D converter.

I have been doing some initial testing as a USB interface, and it appears to be very, very good. I need to do some more comparisons with the Audiophilleo, but so far I am impressed by this device. The sound is full, smooth, solid and dynamic. Adding a Teddy Pardo USB PSU cleans it up marginally and adds a little more dynamics, but even on its own the PUC2 seems to be competitive.

Even more surprising is that the DAC sounds extremely good. Very resolving and three dimensional, while sounding tonally accurate, dynamic and also smooth and liquid. Again, I need to do some more comparisons with my other DACs to get a complete view of the PUC2. I may start a new thread about its DAC capabilities.

The only problem has been driver-related. Installing the drivers crashed my PC. It will only play with updated firmware using its own ASIO driver. It does not work with the Jriver driver or WASAPI. Even so, playing internet radio also crashes the PC.

Despite the driver issues, this so far is a very interesting box at a surprisingly low price.

Stereo Times recently gave the yellowtec lite a great review: Yellowtec PUC2 Lite USB Converter

The reviewer wrote that it was the best one that he heard and he listed the other ones; he hadn't heard the Berkeley.

There was no mention of buggy drivers.

I was thinking of getting one but if you have to use its ASIO driver (not mentioned in the review) then I am not sure if it would work in my system. I would have to find out.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

There is an updated driver which has been working without any problems, and you are no longer limited to the PUC2 Asio driver. The PUC2 sounds great on its own but is also improved with a good linear psu.

Edit: Just read the Stereotimes review. I agree with everything the reviewer says, but he really needs to tone down the purple prose:

No, I did not have on hand the legendary creature of conversion, all bow down to the BADA-st converter on the planet, the Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha. Conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all converters do not convert equally (or cost $1,800), many USB converts on a plethora of forums far and wide speak (type?) its name with hushed reverence. Some do not. Some know not. Shhhhhhhhh. (Light candle now).

Come on, this guy really needs to do a plain English writing course and start imitating the style of Hemingway, not late Henry James. His point being that he hasn't heard the BADA. Well, I have, and I think the PUC2 is better.

• 2 weeks later...
There is an updated driver which has been working without any problems, and you are no longer limited to the PUC2 Asio driver. The PUC2 sounds great on its own but is also improved with a good linear psu.

Is there a power jack on the PUC2? I thought it was usb cable powered.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently auditioned (two) Audiophilleo1 and (two) Berkeley Alpha USB converters in my system and the AP1 units clearly did not outperform the Berkeley units. I have never heard a Bel Canto uLink, but have owned the M2 HiFace, Halide Bridge, Musical Fidelity V-Link & V-Link 192, Audiophilleo 1/2 with Pure Power. Each upgrade was a slight improvement until the Berkeley came along. I purchased a Berkeley unit and will be selling my AP1.

Hytek

Hi Rossb,

Are you using the Yellowtec PUC2 as a DAC? Does it still sound edgy? Does it still have a background hiss? Are you hearing the hiss because your speakers are highly efficient?

Thanks.

After further experimentation, I have found that the PUC2 is significantly better than the Audiophilleo (my previous) preferred USB converter. The differences were quite substantial, and I still find it surprising that a USB converter can make any difference, let alone one of this magnitude. Compared with the Audiophilleo, the sound is bigger, deeper, fuller, there is more separation around instruments, and more tonal colour.

However, the downsides are, first, that it has AES/EBU output only. I had to use an AES/SPDIF transformer to try with some of my DACs, although this did not affect the clear preference for the PUC2. Also, the driver is very buggy. I have tried it with two different PCs, and it has crashed both a number of times. Both were Windows 8.1 machines, which may have something to do with it.

Also, used as a DAC it is also excellent. It is extremely dynamic, very three-dimensional, with possibly the deepest bass I have heard from a DAC. It has a very "live", direct sound. It is slightly on the bright side, and sounds a little edgy, but this might disappear with running in. However, the downside is that it produces a very high level of background hiss. This was using the XLR outputs into the balanced inputs on my Exposure MCX preamp.

On the whole, this is a stunning piece of kit, and at its price a real bargain. I just hope that the driver bugs get ironed out.

I only used the PUC2 as a DAC briefly to test it, although I tried it again recently to confirm my impressions. My comments above still apply. The background hiss is a very high level of noise, not just because my speakers are highly efficient (which they aren't). It could just be a problem with the unit I have, although I would be surprised. For me, this rules it out as a DAC.