IGNORED

HQ Player

Recently I am experiencing the very low level of pops in the backgrounds of HQPLAYER playback. It is audible enough to be a bit annoying.  I am using Sotm SMS 200 as NAA, Mac Mini M1 with 16GB to execute HQP.  Anyone can suggest what to do to eliminate such pops.  The network traffic shows the stable information flow without interruption.  I have been using HQP about a year and a half now.  This is the first time I constantly encounter the issue.  

3 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Not particularly I can think of.  Should I update the firmwares of the Router?  

New fridge, air-conditioning?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Recently I am experiencing the very low level of pops in the backgrounds of HQPLAYER playback. It is audible enough to be a bit annoying.  I am using Sotm SMS 200 as NAA, Mac Mini M1 with 16GB to execute HQP.  Anyone can suggest what to do to eliminate such pops.  The network traffic shows the stable information flow without interruption.  I have been using HQP about a year and a half now.  This is the first time I constantly encounter the issue.  

Usually such pops are lost USB packets which are 125µs long. Sometimes problem is at the USB side, sometimes it is caused by hardware and/or software issues (RPi3 as an example). Sometimes it is more likely to happen if 802.3x ethernet flow control is not becoming active and NAA is on a low power device that cannot keep up with sustained gigabit speeds.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Usually such pops are lost USB packets which are 125µs long. Sometimes problem is at the USB side, sometimes it is caused by hardware and/or software issues (RPi3 as an example). Sometimes it is more likely to happen if 802.3x ethernet flow control is not becoming active and NAA is on a low power device that cannot keep up with sustained gigabit speeds.

@Miska, would you mind elaborating the statement of “802.3x Ethernet flow control is not becoming active?”  What can cause this to happen and what to do to address it.  Thank you.  

12 hours ago, ted_b said:

Has anything (think trivial) changed lately?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

In recent months, have kept Uptone LPS 1.2 on which is for Sotm SMS 200.  The LPS is very warm.  Maybe it is deterioring?

2 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

In recent months, have kept Uptone LPS 1.2 on which is for Sotm SMS 200.  The LPS is very warm.  Maybe it is deterioring?

Try a different power supply. If the LPS 1.2 charge supply is the correct voltage, give that a try. The 1.2 does run warm but that alone is not an indication that it is going bad. Also, the 1.2 may be on the edge of its capacity powering the Sotm and if it has deteriorated even slightly it may no longer be able to keep up.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

10 hours ago, bobflood said:

Try a different power supply. If the LPS 1.2 charge supply is the correct voltage, give that a try. The 1.2 does run warm but that alone is not an indication that it is going bad. Also, the 1.2 may be on the edge of its capacity powering the Sotm and if it has deteriorated even slightly it may no longer be able to keep up.

I power cycled Uptone LMS 1.2.  Appears that the pops disappeared.  I have covered three albums so far.  It has been OK.

9 hours ago, shahed99 said:

@Miska I’m using PCM with no upsampling but using TPDF dither. Is it still recommended that I set max volume in HQP to -3dB or can I use 0.0 dB?

It is always recommended not to exceed -3 dBFS. Even non-clipped inter-sample overs can go to +3 dB.

There is no loss in using -3 dBFS volume setting. Doing 0 dBFS setting has high risk of increasing distortion by at least +20 dB or more.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

It is always recommended not to exceed -3 dBFS. Even non-clipped inter-sample overs can go to +3 dB.

There is no loss in using -3 dBFS volume setting. Doing 0 dBFS setting has high risk of increasing distortion by at least +20 dB or more.

This one ?

8F835471-49B3-483F-A6A4-D2A13E38C57E.thumb.jpeg.e97f3b104958ee914b05f0de55699d04.jpeg

3 hours ago, mfsoa said:

Windows Home vs. Pro:

If Windows will be used for Roon/HQplayer to an NAA (currently Ropieee on Allo...), is there an advantage to using Windows Pro?

It shouldn't make a difference. There's more difference between Pro and For Workstations. Since WIndows for Workstations has "Ultimate Performance" power profile lacking from Pro. Although if you search around, you can find hacks to put that feature into Pro.

The other difference between Pro and For Workstations is that latter has wider support for multi-socket systems.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Remote Desktop 😀

Run the PC headless. (No screen attached). 

Very useful. You can even use your iPad with full windows interface. 

I'm using TightVNC. I find is less troublesome than Remote Desktop, which is attempting to screw up WASAPI functionality - luckily it doesn't understand about ASIO.

To deal with headless Windows systems I also use EDID Spoofer HDMI -dongle. Which behaves like you'd have a monitor of certain resolution (I use 1080p dongles) attached, while you actually have none.

Of course none of such trickery is needed if you use Linux systems.

9 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Now it’s correct then ?

46423BB5-FA50-4E10-9F7E-88EED15C25D6.thumb.jpeg.49d1f7f8ec18b4cf8145e254fab360c3.jpeg

Well, you can leave max volume at 0 or -3 dBFS. But in any case you should define startup volume as -3 dBFS. Min/max just affects the range you can set from remote control applications (like HQPlayer Client, HQPDcontrol or Roon). Having max set to -3 dBFS ensures that you cannot accidentally turn it higher.

If you don't want to have volume control in first place, you can use the "Fixed volume" setting for -3 dBFS.

17 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you show which of the 3 possible settings this applies to ?

I assume the last possibility, which is to enable the fixed volume setting. 

(In my case the preamp is doing volume control).