IGNORED

HQ Player

Do you have a recommendation for my new Musician Pegasus R2R dac?
Proprietary R2R + DSD Architecture True balanced 24BIT R2R + 6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)

http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=122

For 2 days, I was in DSD256/20bits with sinc-gauss-xla / ASDM5EC
I have just switched to DSD512 (my server does not follow in DSD 1024), still in sinc-gauss-xla but with the bit on "default" setting and in ASDM7512+fs.

Very natural dac, with a lot of presence and impact.

22 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Do you have a recommendation for my new Musician Pegasus R2R dac?
Proprietary R2R + DSD Architecture True balanced 24BIT R2R + 6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)

http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=122

Not specifically, but sounds a lot like Denafrips. I wonder if the two have something in common.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 5/16/2021 at 10:56 AM, Foggie said:

Curious if anyone might have some clues on why I can't get V4.x to run, but my licensed V3.x works fine. 

Problem: When I launch HQP V4.x (4.1.3 as well as prev V4 version), it hangs on splash screen and never gets past this so I kill the process.  I have two installs, my lic of V3.x and have installed / tried a couple V4.x to trial.  V4 used to work, but then one day this problem started.  I can't remember when / or any specific change to the wkst to correlate when then started (e.g. OS updates etc..) since I use V3, but wanting to get onto V4 but not sure about what OS type to go with yet.

Wkst/OS details: It's a standalone high end wkst running server 2019 and only performs HQP duties.  

Network / misc details:  Wkst is in util room connected to switch.  I run a dedicated Linux roon core on another computer in util room.  I use a opticalRendu as an endpoint in listening room

I have uninstalled V4, rebooted, reinstalled and I believe cleaned out V4 reg areas after uninstall / reboots during troubleshooting > I think, but don't quote me on that

Bump'ing

Still no resolution to this - The only ver 4 that works is 4.02.

I just installed the latest HQP version and still same behavior.  Is this due to a win server version? My current OS version is server 2019 ver 1809

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Not specifically, but sounds a lot like Denafrips. I wonder if the two have something in common.

Some of the same designers worked on both. No word on if it was a friendly arrangement.

9 hours ago, Foggie said:

I just installed the latest HQP version and still same behavior.  Is this due to a win server version? My current OS version is server 2019 ver 1809

Could be, Windows Server versions are not supported. So your mileage with such may vary.

9 hours ago, Foggie said:

I have uninstalled V4, rebooted, reinstalled and I believe cleaned out V4 reg areas after uninstall / reboots during troubleshooting > I think, but don't quote me on that

Did you clean up %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder?

On 6/26/2021 at 6:28 AM, Miska said:

You could use BlackHole or similar audio-loopback driver to loop audio outputs of other applications back into HQPlayer input.

For Brooklyn, you get best results using ASDM5EC modulator at DSD256 and filter of your choice.

These files play but don't show the cover images? Are the cover images inside the music files, or separate files in the folder?

A public thank you to Jussi.  Via a series of emails, was able to get HQP4 Desktop and Client to work on my 2012 Mac Mini and to route Amazon HD to HQP4 with BlackHole.  

Can't be easy for a tech guru to deal with a guy like me who didn't know how to: a) locate files using go to in Finder, b)had never seen MIDI Device Settings until today...particularly with my long time tech advisor (my son who grew up with a school required laptop since 3rd grade) living 900+ miles away in TX.  I very much appreciate his patience and kind assistance.

Still missing 1/2 the album art, which if it didn't download when CDs were ripped, were added using iTunes add album art info deal.

Also wonder what quality files Amazon HD is sending to me?  Under the HQP Source Content slot when I have select BlackHole 2 CH as Input Device I get what looks like choices of resolutions/frequencies...not sure which to select?

Tone with Soul

Not sure this has been covered in the 850 or so pages of this thread, so I will just ask:  To what extent can I use HQP with Windows 10 on a NUC 10 i7 with 16gb RAM?

I have just reformatted the NUC from Roon ROCK to Windows 10 as I am giving up my Roon subscription.  I only stream over ethernet from a NAS to any of three Sonore Rendus.  There are no USB devices connected to this NUC. 

I've been using Audirvana Studio with DSP enabled to DSD256 and it's pegging the CPU cores at 100c routinely, if momentarily.  That's too hot to run even in spikes, so I am hoping to find something that sounds as good but is less CPU-intensive.

I always have heard that HQP will max out CPUs of every sort if configured to sound its very best, so this may not be ideal hardware for the application, but is there a way that I can use HQP without overheating this PC?  I obviously would love to be able to upsample to DSD256 because my streamers and DACs seem to like that output's sound, but I want the NUC to last more than a short time. 

Is there an HQP use case with this hardware and this upsampling intention?  If not, would I be able to use HQP throttled to some extent?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > Xfinity xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

Hi, I would be grateful if someone can help me with embedded hanging when I apply changes to the config web page.  Otherwise it sounds absolutely awesome (and does actually update the settings before abending). I  can provide more information if needed.

Thanks, Matt

19 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I obviously would love to be able to upsample to DSD256 because my streamers and DACs seem to like that output's sound, but I want the NUC to last more than a short time. 

Is there an HQP use case with this hardware and this upsampling intention?  If not, would I be able to use HQP throttled to some extent?

You can try with lighter filters and modulators. Like getting started with poly-sinc-ext2 filter and ASDM7 modulator. EC modulators may be too heavy for the CPU, at least if you like to to keep temps lower.

I don't think you can cause harm to the system easily, at most you will end up having CPU thermal throttled which would likely cause drop-outs in audio.

4 hours ago, Matt 5FE1 said:

Hi, I would be grateful if someone can help me with embedded hanging when I apply changes to the config web page.  Otherwise it sounds absolutely awesome (and does actually update the settings before abending). I  can provide more information if needed.

Which build on Embedded are you using? And what do you mean by hanging?

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can try with lighter filters and modulators. Like getting started with poly-sinc-ext2 filter and ASDM7 modulator. EC modulators may be too heavy for the CPU, at least if you like to to keep temps lower.

I don't think you can cause harm to the system easily, at most you will end up having CPU thermal throttled which would likely cause drop-outs in audio.

Thanks, Miska.   I don't know the meanings of these references to the filters and modulators.  I assume I won't be upsampling to DSD256 with the ones you mentioned, but will I still be able to play hi res PCM and native DSD files over my home network?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > Xfinity xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

Which build on Embedded are you using? And what do you mean by hanging?

Miska,

hqplayerd_4.24.2-79  on ubuntu 20.04.2.  The browser loses connectivity, although roon seems to continue playing. image.png.c6fca9e0f30ed40503a4f9150368606d.png
image.png.852790f3ed26e28a35078680708142bf.png

I can get it back by stopping hqplayerd and hqplayerd.service using systemctl and restarting the service and rerunning hqplayerd -s hqplayer <pw etc>.  The same thing happens if I hit apply again in the web page.  

I have checked permissions of hqplayerd.conf, different clients and browsers, firewall settings etc, reinstalled OS, packages and dependencies, TCP keepalive, software versions etc.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Equipment:
~~~~~~~~~
Source - Tidal, Synology NAS, FLAC
Controller - Roonserver 1.8 (with core on ubuntu server) and one hqplayer
Client - Lenovo Yoga, Win10
Server Software:  hqplayerd_4.24.2-79 , OS: ubuntu 20.04.2 live server with low-latency kernel, Hardware: core i7
Network wired: Ethernet IP4 fixed, IP6 DHCP
Account: hqpe on server, hqplayer (audio and sudo group) for web access
Endpoint RPI4, naa-412-raspberrypi4 image
Digital chain - Yellowtec PUC2 usb/aes3, Xilica XD4080, (Okto DAC8 in the post)
Analogue - Bryston/Linn/BK.

Extract from Log:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output connect to [2a00:23c5:3f08:1a01:dea6:32ff:fe4b:18c1]:43210 [ipv6]  
2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output network endpoint: bcm2835 Headphones: bcm2835 Headphones (hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0)  
2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output network endpoint: YELLOWTEC PUC2: USB Audio (hw:CARD=PUC2,DEV=0)  
2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output discovered 1 Network Audio Adapters+ 
2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output connect to [2a00:23c5:3f08:1a01:dea6:32ff:fe4b:18c1]:43210 [ipv6]  
2021/07/13 16:06:23 NAA output network format: 48000/24/8 [pcm]* 
2021/07/13 16:07:58 Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded 4.24.2+ 
2021/07/13 16:07:58 Engine starting...  2021/07/13 16:

Has a solution been found yet to the clicking/popping issue with NAA?

Sometimes with some endpoint/dac combinations they 'just work' and some others I cannot get them to play without intermittent clicking regardless of buffer setting or anything I try. 
This is just PCM, not DSD.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

11 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Miska.   I don't know the meanings of these references to the filters and modulators.  I assume I won't be upsampling to DSD256 with the ones you mentioned, but will I still be able to play hi res PCM and native DSD files over my home network?

What would you be upsampling to then? Purpose of HQPlayer is upsampling and performing other DSP operations.

10 hours ago, Matt 5FE1 said:
Extract from Log:

Can you email me full log of the problem when it happens? Please write down timestamp when it happens. Also output of "systemctl status hqplayerd" and maybe "journalctl" entries for hqplayerd service (in practice output of the server).

7 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Has a solution been found yet to the clicking/popping issue with NAA?

Sometimes with some endpoint/dac combinations they 'just work' and some others I cannot get them to play without intermittent clicking regardless of buffer setting or anything I try. 
This is just PCM, not DSD.

It depends on the NAA. If you use for example RasPi3 with USB output, it is known hardware fault and nothing can be done about it.

You have 802.3x ethernet flow control active on your network?

On 7/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Mike Rubin said:

To what extent can I use HQP with Windows 10 on a NUC 10 i7 with 16gb RAM?  ...is there a way that I can use HQP without overheating this PC?  I obviously would love to be able to upsample to DSD256.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

You can try with lighter filters and modulators. Like getting started with poly-sinc-ext2 filter and ASDM7 modulator.

14 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I don't know the meanings of these references to the filters and modulators.  I assume I won't be upsampling to DSD256 with the ones you mentioned, but will I still be able to play hi res PCM and native DSD files over my home network?

Yes, it is possible to upsample to DSD256 (or any other rate) with the lighter settings that @Miska suggested you try, as long as your server is capable of it. 

There is now a fairly large number of settings available in HQP. For most of them, the default choice will be fine or they will be "set and forget", or not applicable to a fairly basic setup. However the selection of filter, modulator, output sample rate and output format (PCM or DSD) are the 4 most vital and variable settings. They remain accessible from the main interface without even needing to examine the other settings.

With those 4 settings, you can dial in the sound of HQP to match your system and your tastes as well as the demand it puts on your server. The more demanding settings require you to maximize your server hardware, but excellent sound is still available with lower powered machines.

Thermal considerations are a limitation when upsampling with a NUC, but you could download the HQP Trial and try the light settings that @Miska suggested, first outputting to DSD128 and then DSD256 to see how well your server can handle them.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

@k6davis
 Thanks very much for this clear and detailed explanation of what my reasonable expectations might be.   I will download the trial version when I can take a few moments to set it up and then explore.

12 hours ago, mrkoven said:

what is the default of 0 DAC bits in HQPe equivalent to? is that 24?

Setting value to 0 means the word length claimed by audio device should be used.

Hello HQPlayer lovers,

i am using Euphony OS with the HQPlayer trial version for 2 days now and i am completely overwhelmed by the sound quality.

With my little NUC 8i5 in it's Akasa fanless case i am able to use poly-sync-mp-2s with DSD7 256+fs and upsampling to DSD512.
I don't know why but DSD7 256+fs sounds best to my ears. Also better than AMSDM7 512+fs.

Never tought this would be possible with this little machine. 

Thank you a lot 🤗 @Miska

image.thumb.png.15e6fdb9a057d0a6eb6da12396f920b3.png

I have tried a lot settings the last few hours and it is a lot of fun :-)

Are there any recommended settings for my Burson Conductor 3XP? It has a ESS 9038Q2M Chip.

From a technical point of view which modulators is the most recommended for the ESS DAC?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Best

Dominik

11 hours ago, DomiJi said:

From a technical point of view which modulators is the most recommended for the ESS DAC?

ASDM5EC or ASDM5 are good starting point. Depending on the DAC's analog low pass filter and the equipment following the DAC, also ASDM7EC or ASDM7.