IGNORED

HQ Player

@Miska I have some questions about HQPlayer Desktop on Ubuntu running on a ZFS formatted system. I can connect to it with the Client on my M1 mini and I can play music. I am unable to control the settings, or even see the settings in the settings page. Additionally, the Client only see's one album cover out of my entire library. All the covers are in the respective folder and called "cover.jpg" and are, as far as I can tell identical. The music files are stored in a ZFS pool.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska I have some questions about HQPlayer Desktop on Ubuntu running on a ZFS formatted system. I can connect to it with the Client on my M1 mini and I can play music. I am unable to control the settings, or even see the settings in the settings page.

You mean settings dialog in HQPlayer Desktop server application. Or the settings popup on HQPlayer Client running on the same machine?

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Additionally, the Client only see's one album cover out of my entire library. All the covers are in the respective folder and called "cover.jpg" and are, as far as I can tell identical.

You could check if scanning the library produces any errors in the log file. And you could also check the resulting library.xml if it has references to those cover files under "cover" attribute for each album. Or you could just email me the logfile and library.xml after a full scan.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Miska Not necessarily the right thread, but a quick question in passing. My RME sounds great but is only used for the dac function in direct DSD mode (no dsp, no amp, eq, etc).
If I were to change it for an equivalent or better... AKM chip, flawless construction, max SNR, etc.. 
Your choice ( between your) 8 dac... 😋

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

14 hours ago, Miska said:

You mean settings dialog in HQPlayer Desktop server application. Or the settings popup on HQPlayer Client running on the same machine?

Settings popup on HQPlayter Client on a different machine, my M1 Mini to be specific.

I'll get a log file and look it over, if I see nothing I'll email it to you.

No electron left behind.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, Miska said:

And I assume you have the "Allow network control" button pressed in HQPlayer toolbar?

Yes, tried it both ways.  The same settings that worked with the 2018 Mac Mini, aren't working with the M1.  Perplexing.  Ideas?

Hi,

I have tried a number of things to figure this out but cannot seem to solve. Am trying out HQ player desktop on Macmini M1. It sounds fantastic and works fine with Roon. I would like to have the flexibility of sending it Spotify or even Youtube videos. I tried Black Hole and Amoeba Loopback apps but cannot get this to work. The Loopback app menu shows that it is receiving audio from Spotify (at 44k.1 kHz). In HQ player preferences under Input Device Settings I set the Backend to CoreAudio and then choose either Loopback or Black Hole from the device list (whichever I'm trying), then click OK, but no sound. Of note, when I go back to the HQ player preferences menu the input device setting has been reset to "default."

Thanks!!!

@Miska I have been a HQP Desktop and now embedded user for quite some time now. I have a feeling that I have not fully grasped a significant detail of how things work.

Along time ago I had decided to up-convert off line all of my aiff rips to DSD64/128 using the AudioInventory program. In using HQP to further up-convert to DSD256 is it correct that Noise-shaping/Dither ie: sinc-S does not come into play? Only Modulation ie: ASDM7EC? As an experiment I had Roon DSP process (2 PC set up) my DSD file back to PCM and then have HQP work it’s magic, I notice my CPU usage is different on my HQPe machine, more cores are being utilized and it sounds different as well.

Have I been off base in this regard?

Thanks...Mike

19 hours ago, BCRich said:

Along time ago I had decided to up-convert off line all of my aiff rips to DSD64/128 using the AudioInventory program. In using HQP to further up-convert to DSD256

This is not very optimal approach, it would be better to go from the source content to final rate direct in HQPlayer.

is it correct that Noise-shaping/Dither ie: sinc-S does not come into play?

Yes

Only Modulation ie: ASDM7EC?

Plus the SDM settings in "DSD Source Settings" dialog. IOW, intergrator and rate conversion algorithm.

I checked the DSD 48 box because my new Holo May can do both rates.  When I stream a 44.1 from Internet radio it appears to be changing the rate to a 48 base unless I use an integer-only filter like Sinc-M.  Is there a setting where it just plays based on the base rate rather than sample rate conversion? 

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

7 hours ago, scintilla said:

I checked the DSD 48 box because my new Holo May can do both rates.  When I stream a 44.1 from Internet radio it appears to be changing the rate to a 48 base unless I use an integer-only filter like Sinc-M.  Is there a setting where it just plays based on the base rate rather than sample rate conversion? 

There is no harm in converting to 48-base rate with filters that can do it. But there's the "Adaptive output rate" setting.

I recently picked up a Soekris 2541. I am running it from an AES/EBU source (PI2AES)  and I like it a lot. Some users have reported very good results upsampling redbook to higher rate pcm...though none of them are using HQ Player. Some preliminary tests have been promising - sharper imaging, better staging. Am I creating problems by combining an HQ Player upsample with the Soekris filters. The Soekris has a linear phase brick wall, Minphase, a soft Minphase and some "combo" filter. What filter would be technically appropriate to combine with HQ Player? What kind of HQ Player filters would be technically appropriate to use with the Soekris?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Brilliant!! I downloaded Rogue Amoeba Loopback, followed all instructions above, and now listening Qobuz through HQPlayer Desktop + NAA. Loopback Audio should be selected in Qobuz' Audio output. Also, streaming quality should be set to CD- 16 bit/ 44,1 kHz. Thank you!

I once had it working on my MBP but I tried anew with my MIni M1 and still no joy. Loopback receives Qobuz's input OK but HQP does not play and in Preferences I can't make Loopback as an Input (keeps reverting to Default). 

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

28 minutes ago, Jean Paul D said:

I once had it working on my MBP but I tried anew with my MIni M1 and still no joy. Loopback receives Qobuz's input OK but HQP does not play and in Preferences I can't make Loopback as an Input (keeps reverting to Default). 

I do not use this anymore. Just a thought - perhaps Loopback should be upgraded? Also, you may try to check VB-Cable which substitutes Loopback with the same functionality. 

8 hours ago, JTS said:

Am I creating problems by combining an HQ Player upsample with the Soekris filters. The Soekris has a linear phase brick wall, Minphase, a soft Minphase and some "combo" filter. What filter would be technically appropriate to combine with HQ Player?

Use linear phase brickwall filter at the DAC side, this won't have problem in combination with HQPlayer filters.

8 hours ago, JTS said:

What kind of HQ Player filters would be technically appropriate to use with the Soekris?

Filter is up to your choice. Since the DAC will further process the input, set DAC Bits to 24 and dither to TPDF.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Use linear phase brickwall filter at the DAC side, this won't have problem in combination with HQPlayer filters.

Filter is up to your choice. Since the DAC will further process the input, set DAC Bits to 24 and dither to TPDF.

As Far as I know sending the highest PCM rate will bypass FIR1 upsampling but FIR2 will still be upsampled to around 2.8/3.1mhz, linearity is still dropping off at around 17-19 probably 18 to be on the safe side.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Thanks, @Miska. I will do some experimenting and report back.

1 hour ago, Yviena said:

As Far as I know sending the highest PCM rate will bypass FIR1 upsampling but FIR2 will still be upsampled to around 2.8/3.1mhz, linearity is still dropping off at around 17-19 probably 18 to be on the safe side.

I am feeding it using AES/EBU which, I believe, tops out at 192KHz. I don't imagine this will bypass FIR1. I look forward to community filters for the new 2541 :-)

20 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I do not use this anymore. Just a thought - perhaps Loopback should be upgraded? Also, you may try to check VB-Cable which substitutes Loopback with the same functionality. 

I'm using the latest Loopback that is MAC M1 native and seems OK. @Miska why doesn't Loopback stick as Input in Preferences that always reverts to Default ?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

Miska helped me with this one - had to select the 44/2 channel option from the URL menu on the main page and then it started working. It works with black hole the same way - and the latter is free. But as far as I can tell, neither will work if the source has different sampling frequencies. So OK for Spotify, internet radio streams, etc.. but not if you want to use a different front end - like Audirvana - to play your own content.

Have been diving into the HQ player filters - very interesting. Want to next investigate which - if any - can help streaming Spotify sound better.

Out of curiosity has anyone here tried 1.536mhz running through a product such as the ifi iGalvanic 3.0?

I've recently ordered an intel NUC to use 1.536mhz and was hoping that I might be able to use the iGalvanic 3.0 without issue as it does seem to appear 'transparent' to the PC for lack of a better word. As in, there is no USB controller labelled as the igalvanic. It does just seem that the connecting device is presented to the PC as if the igalvanic was not there.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Which protocol to use for remote client HQP.
I have just set up a JCAT on a Roon/HQP server.
Everything works with the remote control choice checked on HQP Desktop.
But remotely, I do not return the server in the HQP client list (only "localhost").
The server is visible from the control PC especially the files: "file sharing" checked in the ethernet + QOS + IPV4 properties.

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

Jussi,

Stupid question from a long time user 🙂  :

* what sample rate/bit depth does HQPlayer use to convert to DSD when upconverting, say, a 44k redbook file?  Is it at file native sample rate/bit or is it after upsampling to highest in setting?  And does "dac bits" setting even enter into this, since the dac will only see DSD?  I ask cuz some on the Holo and Denafrips threads seem to infer that setting the "dac bits" to 20 bits is important when  upconverting to DSD.  It made my stop and wonder.  Thanks....