IGNORED

HQ Player

You can also gain notably more performance, if you have let's say 8-channel DAC. And you play stereo to 4 + 4 channel configuration, having 4 modulators in parallel. And then you gang and mix the 4 outputs together.

Or if you take something like Merging Hapi with 16 channels and do 8 + 8 channels ganged. But then you need some serious CPU power.

If all the output channels would have same data, you wouldn't have much benefit from doing so. But since they don't, you get improvement from running multiple independent modulators and D/A converters in parallel.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 1/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, semente said:

RME ADI-2 DAC FS question.

Have only had mine for one day, replacing a Teac UD-501.

I detect a slight graininess in the treble, noticeable with sibilance.

Is this normal, wrong dither settings, "noisy" USB port, something else?

I am using an old 2012 15" MBP, DSD256/poly-sinc-ext2/DSD5v2 256+fs, USB straight into the DAC (DSD direct mode), amplifier is wide-bandwidth.

Are you happier nowadays you replaced the Teac by the RME ? Was it worth it ? By using DSD Direct mode aren't you sending mere 64 if sending a SACD rip or Acoustic sounds 64 DSD download?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

6 hours ago, Miska said:

It is no different from requantization for PCM. By definition it is not a bit-perfect process.

You should preferably at least double the sampling rate when you process either PCM or DSD, to gain more headroom in both dimensions. Even if you do just volume control.

If I'd generalize, if you touch a single bit, like little bit of volume control, you are up to the same process. Be input or output be PCM, SDM, whatever. So you sort of have constant amount of effort, plus the extras you want. Depending on the case, the extras can be a lot less than the constant effort.

Ok, i now understand better. Thank you for patiently clarifying 👍

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No, just to clarify, the RME DAC has DSD Direct mode. It doesn't affect what you are sending there, you can still send DSD256 there. This is different than Direct SDM setting in HQPlayer.

About the RME, those who upgraded the firmware identified an improvement in the SQ (SteadyClock) ??

03/17/2021 Digiface USB: v17 supports new PCBs. Devices with V14 do not need to be updated. ADI-2 DAC FGA 35, ADI-2 Pro FPGA 249: Improved SteadyClock, filter and phase control. SteadyClock’s jitter filter now operates down to 1 Hz instead of about 200 Hz, thus reduces even very low frequency input jitter efficiently.

Just following up again on my streaming of 1536 kHz material to a signatureRendu. I had stuttering again this morning. I went through all the pieces of the chain one by one to find the root cause. The fix was rebooting the Terminator DAC. I had already rebooted my switches, HQP, Roon, HQP & Roon server hardware, and the Rendu. Pulling the power on the Terminator and booting it back up resolved the issue. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

18 hours ago, Zauurx said:

About the RME, those who upgraded the firmware identified an improvement in the SQ (SteadyClock) ??

03/17/2021 Digiface USB: v17 supports new PCBs. Devices with V14 do not need to be updated. ADI-2 DAC FGA 35, ADI-2 Pro FPGA 249: Improved SteadyClock, filter and phase control. SteadyClock’s jitter filter now operates down to 1 Hz instead of about 200 Hz, thus reduces even very low frequency input jitter efficiently.

Will try it - though not if on v14?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 3/10/2021 at 4:48 AM, Miska said:

Yes, that's the case.

Using the parametric eq files is quite a bit lighter to process at least. You can try if you notice any audible difference. Shouldn't be big though.

I'm tried the peq file for HE4XX and while I've got it to play with it in the pipeline, HQPe is not so stable. Removing it from the pipeline restores normal stability. Tracks will play for a few seconds and stop or play all the way through and stop on the next track. If I try to plot the files, the web interface drops and sometimes doesn't reload requiring a reboot. I also had to reload the flash drive as one time the system would no longer load the web server. I didn't have logging on but am happy to troubleshoot if it's helpful. Running HQPeOS 4.22.3.

The file is simply, I've got plenty of negative gain so I removed the value from the text file.

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 22 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.50

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 237 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 0.92

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 989 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 2.83

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1805 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 2.61

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5328 Hz Gain 3.7 dB Q 5.04

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2245 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 6.37

Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2847 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 3.79

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9395 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 1.50

Filter 9: ON PK Fc 12032 Hz Gain 0.7 dB Q 1.74

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19544 Hz Gain -10.2 dB Q 0.34

5 minutes ago, lpost said:

I'm tried the peq file for HE4XX and while I've got it to play with it in the pipeline, HQPe is not so stable. Removing it from the pipeline restores normal stability. Tracks will play for a few seconds and stop or play all the way through and stop on the next track.

Log file would be certainly good for figuring out what is going wrong. Which OS / HQPlayer Embedded build is this?

6 minutes ago, lpost said:

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 22 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.50

Here's +6, so if you don't use the preamp feature, you need to make sure not to turn HQPlayer volume higher than -9 dBFS.

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

Log file would be certainly good for figuring out what is going wrong. Which OS / HQPlayer Embedded build is this?

Here's +6, so if you don't use the preamp feature, you need to make sure not to turn HQPlayer volume higher than -9 dBFS.

I run between -40 and -25dB to gain match with my preamp. The preamp sounds better above 50% level and need this to compensate.

Running HQPeOS 4.22.3. I'll turn on logging and retry later and post, thanks.

3 hours ago, lpost said:

I run between -40 and -25dB to gain match with my preamp. The preamp sounds better above 50% level and need this to compensate.

Running HQPeOS 4.22.3. I'll turn on logging and retry later and post, thanks.

Do you mind if I ask what your "Min Vol" and "Max Vol" are set at in the Settings or are you controlling volume via the dial?

On 4/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, Miska said:

Which app? Firewall not blocking inbound connections? Correct IP address at the remote side, or you mean discovery is not finding HQPlayer?

The iOS app for HQPlayer, I think there's only one.  Firewall is not blocking.  It all worked fine on the intel 2018 Mac Mini.  But stopped working with the M1.  The iOS iPad app does not connect to HQPlayer as before.

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

The iOS app for HQPlayer, I think there's only one.  Firewall is not blocking.  It all worked fine on the intel 2018 Mac Mini.  But stopped working with the M1.  The iOS iPad app does not connect to HQPlayer as before.

And I assume you have the "Allow network control" button pressed in HQPlayer toolbar?

On 3/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, ted_b said:

It happens to me invariably when I am away from it for a few hours.  I simply (via TightVNC) go to settings (as if I am going to change filters, etc) and hit ok.  Seems to work every time, and no need to close either Roon or HQP.

I understand there is a quick fix. But I hope this can be resolved for good.

Here is my situation. My kids have finally realized my hifi room can be fun for them too. Pick the iPad, choose something, enjoy. The problem is that if I’m not at home, they might not be able to play music because of that issue. Then my 100k stereo is broken. 

hope there is a solution in sight...

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)