IGNORED

HQ Player

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Just use Jussi's NAA image and don't worry about the details.

Details are important!  As I detailed earlier I found that any Linux “driver” cause my Holo Spring to click audibly between tracks of different formats or rates. I much prefer ASIO

22 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

So, are you telling to us that the modulator has more influence to the sound than the filter and the rate?

MP, most of us prefer EC modulators at the highest bit rate over non-EC at a higher one. Currently EC at DSD256 is the pinnacle, as 8ghz CPU’s aren’t around yet. 😀

This is a comment on upsampling to DSD only. I’ve no experience with 32fs PCM yet but even 8fs sounds pretty damn good with ext2 and a good dither setting. 

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Details are important!  As I detailed earlier I found that any Linux “driver” cause my Holo Spring to click audibly between tracks of different formats or rates. I much prefer ASIO

With HQPlayer that shouldn't happen too much. Typically I'm using Roon to feed HQPE (because I like the GUI/iPhone etc) and HQPE is setting the format and rate. Maybe if you are changing rate families...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

28 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

So, are you telling to us that the modulator has more influence to the sound than the filter and the rate?

I would say modulator and filter are like 50/50. If you could do EC modulators to DSD1024 in realtime it could be nice. Beyond DSD256 the differences between rates tend to get smaller though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you could do EC modulators to DSD1024 in realtime it could be nice. 

Are you rewriting the algorithm 😆 I think with audiophile LN tanks we can get to DSD512. Do you think the tank connectors will affect SQ?

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Are you rewriting the algorithm 😆 I think with audiophile LN tanks we can get to DSD512. Do you think the tank connectors will affect SQ?

No, it has been massaged so much that I cannot make it run any faster. But I don't understand what tanks are you talking about? :D

But I can do offline conversion to DSD1024 with EC using HQPlayer Pro. And from NativeDSD you can get DSD512 produced by EC modulators.

It is just very impractical to do DSD1024 offline with EC for anything else than testing purposes. And naturally won't work for any streaming services.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, it has been massaged so much that I cannot make it run any faster. But I don't understand what tanks are you talking about? :D

Right ... the new Intel chips were overclocked to 8Ghz so I was suggesting that with a liquid nitrogen setup we could do DSD512 ... not practical....

So yeah maybe offline conversion ... ummm would love a reason to justify a Holo May ... uggh

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

But I can do offline conversion to DSD1024 with EC using HQPlayer Pro...

It is just very impractical to do DSD1024 offline with EC for anything else than testing purposes...

And the result DSD1024/EC file would be played back downgraded to DSD512?

If so, will this process consume so much CPU than upsample to DSD512/EC?

And will a downgraded file from DSD1024/EC to DSD512/EC sound even better than an on fly upsampled to DSD512/EC?

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

On the fly upsampled to DSD512/EC doesn't exist.  If you want to hear upsampled DSD512/EC then buy a DSD512 album from us over on NativeDSD; we use HQPlayer Pro for DSD512 (since no one records at that level). 

Which settings are used to upsample to DSD512?

5 hours ago, Miska said:

It will be actually interesting so see if future Apple silicon will be the first to do EC modulators at DSD512. If they could double the M1 clock frequencies and memory bandwidth... Which may be actually doable. Since the current M1 is designed to be low power part. Instead of trying to reach maximum clocks and memory bandwidth.

I see that the M1 Mac Mini has USB4 so with an optical Thunderbolt3 cable, and a USB-C to USB-A converter with might have the holy grail of USB isolation ... that would make a very interesting NAA ... or maybe run HQP direct on the Mini?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Mini is so quiet it’s like a fanless computer. 

I haven't been keeping up with HQP on OS X recently, are there still driver issues which limit the bitrate? or other limitations. This would be HQP on OS X direct to DAC

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

Hmm I was compiling the RT patches for awhile for the clearfog and my NUC but frankly don't hear a difference, low-latency seems to work well. Dropouts only occur if I'm running heavy background tasks so frankly I got tired because its just easier to let apt update/upgrade.

-1 . I have the same experience.

I just wanted to report on some developer's experience and hear Jussi's thoughts about it :)

17 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

And the result DSD1024/EC file would be played back downgraded to DSD512?

No, if you have a DSD1024 capable DAC and you play the file with Direct SDM setting it goes there bit-perfect.

17 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

And will a downgraded file from DSD1024/EC to DSD512/EC sound even better than an on fly upsampled to DSD512/EC?

No, extra processing round doesn't improve it.

13 hours ago, jabbr said:

I see that the M1 Mac Mini has USB4 so with an optical Thunderbolt3 cable, and a USB-C to USB-A converter with might have the holy grail of USB isolation ... that would make a very interesting NAA ... or maybe run HQP direct on the Mini?

Note that USB-C to USB-A converter doesn't mean it would work with Thunderbolt. Instead it likely works only with USB. But if you can use some optical Thunderbolt with one of those Thunderbolt docks, then you could have the isolation. That dock still needs it's own PSU though, so you'd need to pay some attention there.

Type-C USB connector supports many different on-wire formats through alternate mode and in addition power delivery. However, these require specific support from both ends of the connection. So just having a USB-C connector doesn't mean that any of these would be supported on it.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:46 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Jussi, which optical NAA endpoints do you recommend for receiving 1536 kHz audio? 

I'd love it if my signatureRendu did this without issues, as it's my favorite endpoint, but it seems to stutter quite a bit at 1536. 

Hi Guys, I have to follow up on this one. I'm doing some tests this morning to collect information about streaming 1536 kHz to my signatureRendu. I expected to hear stuttering. However, it's playing smooth as silk right now. If the signatureRendu keeps handling 1536 without an issue, or my previous issues with it can be tracked down, it's the ultimate fiber optic endpoint (in my book of course). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 4/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Hensema said:

I can confirm that the new Intel Rocket Lake 11700 CPU is capable to upsample to Sinc-M, ASDM7EC, DSD256 without any issue. DSD512 with EC modulators is still not possible as expected.

Interesting, thanks for reporting. Is this i7-11700 without K? Have you also tried since-L?

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I have to follow up on this one. I'm doing some tests this morning to collect information about streaming 1536 kHz to my signatureRendu. I expected to hear stuttering. However, it's playing smooth as silk right now. If the signatureRendu keeps handling 1536 without an issue, or my previous issues with it can be tracked down, it's the ultimate fiber optic endpoint (in my book of course). 

Did you switch HQPlayer output to 16-bit or are you sending more bits? With Holo Audio, you can make 1.5M work with practically all devices if you stick to 16-bit output at those rates. Doing 20/24-bit requires specific conditions to be met.

I'm sure its been answered somewhere in this huge thread but if I set HQP to output PCM from roon, then set filter 1x to none, filter Nx to none and dither to none then set my sample rate limit to 192 Khz.  what happens? (192K is highest rez file on PC or Qobuz)

I got music to play, a 24/96 file from roon played at 96K, a 16/44.1 file from roon played at 44.1.  So does this mean HQP is just passing the roon stream directly to my dac with no processing, other than the digital volume control?  bit perfect?