IGNORED

HQ Player

10 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Yes, very neat, and the SFP board is very reasonably $$.  So we could configure this to be a Windows 10 LTSC optical NAA, for like $450, and only need an SFP(+)?   Really?

Yes :D

I believe that their SFP+ supports 1GBit only.

Furthermore, for past experience with this company products (starting from their Fit-PC2), I can assure you that these industrial products are most reliable and well designed (I love that their DC-plug has a special twist-lock for preventing unintentional pull-out power loss ;)).  

48 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Yes, very neat, and the SFP board is very reasonably $$.  So we could configure this to be a Windows 10 LTSC optical NAA, for like $450, and only need an SFP(+)?   Really?

Windows will need to be tested. On my CAPS 20.1 pc (LattePanda Alpha 864) Windows with a current ASIO driver couldn’t handle 1536 kHz. Using Jussi’s image it works perfect. 

The same could be true of this device. Or not. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Windows will need to be tested. On my CAPS 20.1 pc (LattePanda Alpha 864) Windows with a current ASIO driver couldn’t handle 1536 kHz. Using Jussi’s image it works perfect. 

Asio driver for what dac?

3 hours ago, bibo01 said:

This looks great, and when I need another NAA I would get one. It’s easier to load Linux on the Intel platform. If I didn’t already have the ClearFog as well as a NUC I’d definitely get this.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

On this matter, I asked support about USB controller onboard Fitlet2, because @Miska mentioned that it may matter.   

I got a reply from the Application Support Engineer saying "In general we don't use any USB controller. All USB support is native by CPU."

It will have to be tested.

Hmmmm. Is there no way to select my Roon ROCK server as the Output device? Or, the USB port on the Roon Rock server that is connected to my Aries DAC? I have HQplayer installed and working on my laptop(same network as the Roon Rock) but the HQplayer does not recognize the Roon Rock as an NAA. Any solutions? HQplayer will not install on the Rock.

39 minutes ago, Stevenich1 said:

Hmmmm. Is there no way to select my Roon ROCK server as the Output device? Or, the USB port on the Roon Rock server that is connected to my Aries DAC? I have HQplayer installed and working on my laptop(same network as the Roon Rock) but the HQplayer does not recognize the Roon Rock as an NAA. Any solutions? HQplayer will not install on the Rock.

NAA is a software designed to work over a network on a network endpoint and connect via the network to an HQP installation elsewhere on your network. So you need NAA software installed on the NAA endpoint. Rock is designed to be a closed system that works only as a Roon Server.

The advantage and limitation of the Rock is that it is designed NOT to accept other software and be a Roon only solution.

You can connect your Rock directly to the DAC without HQP or NAA. Or add an endpoint to the network that will accept the NAA installation. Almost any PC or Raspberry Pi can do the trick. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

14 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Did you choose realtime for latency reason or for SQ reasons between the two kernels?

No, I don't think there's any sound quality difference. Just reliability against drop-outs.

14 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Some developers are telling me that differences vary from hardware to hardware and user's preference. What are your thoughts?

What kind of differences are you talking about?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, fredg_31 said:

😁 Before HQPlayer, I was using Daphile, and my Weiss INT203 was sleeping in a box for years, as dice driver is not supported by Daphile.

You could try HQPlayer OS too, it has Dice driver... At least worked with my old Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC when I last tried.

43 minutes ago, Yviena said:

@Miska do i still need to use volume -3 if i have preamp gain set via txt file even if HQplayer reports no limiting?

Let's say you have EQ file with parametric EQ boost of +3 dB at some frequency and it has preamp gain of -3 dB. This sums up to 0 dB, meaning that your total gain is still 0 dB. So yes, in that case you still need to have volume set to -3 dBFS.

Otherwise you will get limiting when you happen to have content at 0 dB at that particular frequency. So you won't notice it immediately. Any EQ that has any gain boost will need compensation, and will sound that compensation amount quieter, while not actually being any quieter because of the boosts.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

But I suspect it will have trouble on USB side with 1.5M PCM and DSD1024...

I wish I had that problem 🥺

So far I’m at DSD256 with the EC Modulators, have you compared those to DSD 1024?

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Likely my NAA image works on the FitLet. So it could be as easy as plugging in boot media and powering up.

Yep! I could pretty much guarantee that it would be easier to load OS, whether NAA image or Ubuntu + NAA or whatever, and ok in case you want DSD1024 — also Wi-Fi ... at the moment it’s $450 shipped to the USA (I think) ... and I just don’t really think I’m going to hear a “SQ” difference either way. 

12 hours ago, jabbr said:

So far I’m at DSD256 with the EC Modulators, have you compared those to DSD 1024?

A little. I tend prefer DSD256 with EC over DSD1024 with non-EC (if you don't count DSD1024 with EC). But for PCM to R2R ladder, 1.4/1.5M is certainly better than 705.6/768k. R2R so easily sounds "flat", at 1.4/1.5M rate that gets much less obvious. DSD1024 and 1.4/1.5M PCM use the same rate on USB.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

A little. I tend prefer DSD256 with EC over DSD1024 with non-EC (if you don't count DSD1024 with EC). But for PCM to R2R ladder, 1.4/1.5M is certainly better than 705.6/768k. R2R so easily sounds "flat", at 1.4/1.5M rate that gets much less obvious. DSD1024 and 1.4/1.5M PCM use the same rate on USB.

So, are you telling to us that the modulator has more influence to the sound than the filter and the rate?

When I first start Hqplayer and Roon Rock the sound is great. If I transfer from HQplayer zone to any zone then back to HQplayer the playback is in VERY slow motion. The timer even counts slow. If I change anything in the HQplayer settings the playback returns to normal. This only happened after I entered the license for HQplayer. Coincindence prob.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, ted_b said:

I do not yet have a 32fs capable DAC in hand but when I do (Holo May most likely) will their ASIO driver support 32fs (1411.2 and/or 1536) on an NAA?

Just use Jussi's NAA image and don't worry about the details.

16 hours ago, bibo01 said:

In terms of SQ. For example, they mentioned how the kernel is compiled for different platforms, i.e. Celeron and Atom. 

Hmm I was compiling the RT patches for awhile for the clearfog and my NUC but frankly don't hear a difference, low-latency seems to work well. Dropouts only occur if I'm running heavy background tasks so frankly I got tired because its just easier to let apt update/upgrade.