IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, Peti said:

I have noticed that albums that are in "ape." format will not be recognized.

Yes, APE format is not supported by HQPlayer. You'd need to convert it to FLAC or WavPack.

5 minutes ago, Peti said:

Furthermore, I have albums put together by me from various sources and some are in DSD format while others are in flac and Wav - all within one album. In that case, HQPlayer will only scan one part of the group, let's say DSD or Flac, and the rest will be not scanned.

This is specifically not supported case. You can create a playlist out of these and have the playlist scanned to the library, or you can load it separately. But it cannot be treated as an album. Albums always consist of files in same format (file format, sample rate, bit depth, etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

22 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I will change to -6dB!

When I try load the file, nothing happens...

You are using some old HQPlayer version...

1010269306_Screenshotfrom2021-03-1022-34-21.thumb.png.cf09e5680de06303feb4a1eabfbd4f55.png

You click "Browse" on the corresponding pipeline and select the filter spec file. For AutoEq files this works only in version >=4.10.3.

Gain compensation, when needed to specified separately, is best placed on the pipeline Gain entry. This way the needed compensation is associated with the matrix profile where it is needed.

If you use volume knob for it, -6 dBFS is not enough if -5.7 dB compensation is needed. But instead you'd set the volume knob to -9 dBFS (-6 + -3 = -9).

59 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I use both, 4.90 (the best sound ever) and 4.10.3!

I will try with Oppo PM-1 e Sennheiser HD800S and post my impressions...

Thanks a lot, Miska!

Mixed first impressions of the Parametric EQ with Preamp -7.2 dB of my Oppo PM-1, that have a warm and laid back sound that I love, more than my Senn HD800S:

More open and transparent, more bass and punch, but it is not my loved headphone, it sounds more as the Sennheiser HD650 that I also own...

The parametric equalizer let the sound "compressed" and I lost the signature of the Oppo sound... I never had fadigue with the Oppos, let's see with the EQ!

I don't know if I like the effect, but, I'll try more for a few days before a conclusion...

For HD 800 and HD 800S there are many slightly different corrections available, based on different measurements, like this one too:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 800

(note that 800 and 800S need different correction files)

When txt file has "Preamp" line, there's no need to make manual gain compensation, instead the needed compensation is read from the file automatically. If the line is missing, then you need to manually enter the gain compensation.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

For HD 800 and HD 800S there are many slightly different corrections available, based on different measurements, like this one too:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 800

(note that 800 and 800S need different correction files)

When txt file has "Preamp" line, there's no need to make manual gain compensation, instead the needed compensation is read from the file automatically. If the line is missing, then you need to manually enter the gain compensation.

Sennheiser HD 800 S Parametric EQ Preamp -5.4 dB.txt is:

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 11 Hz Gain 5.7 dB Q 0.22
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 209 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 0.61
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1869 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.49
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35 this one should be 5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74 this one should be 4
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6705 Hz Gain -0.6 dB Q 3.07
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7531 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 2.21
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11136 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 1.47
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19646 Hz Gain -7.1 dB Q 0.40

May I include Preamp -5.4 dB in the first line and correct the filter order as below?

Preamp -5.4 dB

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43

12 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Sennheiser HD 800 S Parametric EQ Preamp -5.4 dB.txt is:

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35 this one should be 5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74 this one should be 4

May I include Preamp -5.4 dB in the first line and correct the filter order as below?

Preamp -5.4 dB

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43

Yes, you can do that. Filter 1 has highest gain of +5.7, so the compensation should be -5.7 not -5.4. But remember to put colon there to keep the syntax in line, like (although HQPlayer's parser at the moment doesn't care about the colon):

Preamp: -6.0 dB

Filter order doesn't really matter, since each line is individual eq.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, you can do that. Filter 1 has highest gain of +5.7, so the compensation should be -5.7 not -5.4. But remember to put colon there to keep the syntax in line, like (although HQPlayer's parser at the moment doesn't care about the colon):

Thank you so much Miska, a new world of possibilities was opened for me with HQPlayer! 👍 👍 👍

What are the opinions on the sound quality of HQP release 4.10.3 as compared to 4.9.0? Curious as I was overseas and never got a chance to download and listen to 4.9.0 after reading the reports of its phenomenal sound presentation. I’m happy with what I’m hearing with 4.10.3 but wondering if 4.9.0 sounds markedly better. Not interested in startIng any controversy or a search for logic as that has been covered and discussed already just wondering what those that consider revision 4.9.0 special think of the sound quality of release 4.10.3 in comparison.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

A last doubt: even with Preamp: -6.0 db line before the filters, I need use -3.0 db in HQPlayer?

33 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

A last doubt: even with Preamp: -6.0 db line before the filters, I need use -3.0 db in HQPlayer?

Yes, always -3 dB volume setting to leave headroom for inter-sample overs. The gain compensation just deals with the eq boost to return possible peak levels back to where they used to be.

22 hours ago, Carlos269 said:

What are the opinions on the sound quality of HQP release 4.10.3 as compared to 4.9.0? Curious as I was overseas and never got a chance to download and listen to 4.9.0 after reading the reports of its phenomenal sound presentation. I’m happy with what I’m hearing with 4.10.3 but wondering if 4.9.0 sounds markedly better. 

For my taste, 4.90 has a fuller, richer and easier sound. Period!

Since I'm not using NAA, it never crashed with me. 

Ask to @Miska for get the download link and test for yourself.

1 hour ago, MemoryPlayer said:

For my taste, 4.90 has a fuller, richer and easier sound. Period!

Since I'm not using NAA, it never crashed with me. 

Only thing different in 4.9.0, from other releases around it, was the buggy NAA backend. If you don't use NAA, for example the fixed 4.9.2 release is otherwise exactly the same.

1 hour ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Ask to @Miska for get the download link and test for yourself.

Always only latest and latest - 1 are available. Older releases are not... So at the moment 4.10.3 and 4.10.2.

5 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzar said:

Hello, Miska. Do you have any plan to work on the convolution function of HQPD? For example, to load multiple FIR filters at the same time or support WAV files of any kind. Thank you!

I don't  think HQPD is miska's software but a third-party one.

I wonder how can I activate the settings tab on my hqplayer android app where I can change the filter, output mode, shaping and sample rate settings? Currently those options are all greyed out. Thanks

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

8 hours ago, Peti said:

I wonder how can I activate the settings tab on my hqplayer android app where I can change the filter, output mode, shaping and sample rate settings? Currently those options are all greyed out. Thanks

Not sure, but make sure you select either PCM or SDM output mode, and not "Auto".

You also need to be in stopped state to change those. You cannot change those settings during playback.

14 hours ago, Peti said:

On my android app those are greyed out until you pause the music, once it pauses about 5 seconds later they light up and you can change, once you resume play they grey out again.