IGNORED

HQ Player

7 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

image.thumb.png.0f38d84b5be9a6250c0a6becab8243a5.png

First one is better, because it splits Roon and HQPlayer to separate computers.

On the second one, you could swap the two computer hardware, make Roon Core run on the weaker one, skip NAA and run HQPlayer Embedded on the more powerful one and connect DAC directly to it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, mfalcon said:

so @Miska, if I switch from 44.1 to 48k when running sinc-L on the V1 holo spring should it work?  It just stops for me.  I do not have 48k family rate box checked.

You cannot use sinc-L for 48k-base content with Holo Spring v1. Since Spring 1 cannot do 48k-base DSD rates correctly.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I have a Beelink GTR Mini PC going to a Sony TA-ZH1ES and i find anything more than ASDM5EC at DSD128 causes stuttering.  I find though ASDM5EC sounds great anyway.  Infact i found a revelation last night that you can make an even bigger performance increase by tweaking your system for noise itself.  I power the Beelink with a Audiophonics Linear PSU which made a drastic improvement to performance,  but last night i simply disconnected my network cable and boom the sound is now in the stratosphere.  Think i need to invest in a network isolator like the pink faun.  My settings that are sounding great from redbook are:

Mode: SDM (DSD)

Filter: poly-sinc-long-lp

Shaper: ASDM5EC

Rate: 44 x 128

The noise tweaks i made to my system allowed me to appreciate the quality of ASDM5EC on my Sony which beats it's onboard DSD remaster FPGA by a fair bit.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

It kind of poses some limitations on best choices.

For future choices, I think number one is to find a DAC that can operate just as such, pure D/A converter without performing additional DSP. There are now more choices on this area than there was when Oppo Sonica was brought to the market.

But don't worry about it too much. Just get started with ASDM5EC if possible and you can try ASDM7EC for comparison. But my recommendation with Sabre DACs at DSD256 is to go with ASDM5EC instead.

You should try an EtherRegen first. 

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

7 hours ago, Miska said:

First one is better, because it splits Roon and HQPlayer to separate computers.

On the second one, you could swap the two computer hardware, make Roon Core run on the weaker one, skip NAA and run HQPlayer Embedded on the more powerful one and connect DAC directly to it.

Miska:  Thank you.  A further question: If I prefer to keep computer noise out of listening room (realizing that I could build a fairly powerful passively cooled computer with HQPlayer Embedded, but perhaps at more cost) that pushes me toward the first solution (putting Roon on the NAS), but it does add a switch and the Ethernet to fiber conversion before the DAC instead of a direct pc-to-DAC connection.   Do you have a personal view of how much that might degrade signal quality?  Obviously, there are other variables to be considered, but i'm currently using the same Cisco SG350 switches that I believe you have in your system.  

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Jussi, With the Spotify announcement of CD level streaming later this year, it begs the question of will we be able to connect Spotify to HQP. I used to use Spotify years ago but have not kept up with it since I started using Roon. Maybe Roon will get some integration with Spotify but I won't hold my breath. What about Spotify Connect to link to HQP? I am sure a lot of people will be interested in this scenario.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

Miska:  Thank you.  A further question: If I prefer to keep computer noise out of listening room (realizing that I could build a fairly powerful passively cooled computer with HQPlayer Embedded, but perhaps at more cost) that pushes me toward the first solution (putting Roon on the NAS), but it does add a switch and the Ethernet to fiber conversion before the DAC instead of a direct pc-to-DAC connection.   Do you have a personal view of how much that might degrade signal quality?  Obviously, there are other variables to be considered, but i'm currently using the same Cisco SG350 switches that I believe you have in your system.  

The two options I outlined both involve switches. One with NAA and another without a NAA. Switches in general are good and certainly don't degrade sound quality. But with smart/managed switched like SG350 series, one needs to pay attention to the switch configuration, such as making sure 802.3x Flow Control is enabled on all ports.

You don't necessarily need a fiber connection, also regular CAT6 UTP is fine to a NAA like the UP Gateway.

6 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Jussi, With the Spotify announcement of CD level streaming later this year, it begs the question of will we be able to connect Spotify to HQP. I used to use Spotify years ago but have not kept up with it since I started using Roon.

I've been using Spotify through HQPlayer quite a lot. Through different paths, such as optical S/PDIF and AES connections from another device. Or through USB from another device.

I've also heard on this forum that the loopback drivers work, which is simplest way to do it.

8 minutes ago, bobflood said:

What about Spotify Connect to link to HQP? I am sure a lot of people will be interested in this scenario.

I asked Spotify and they are not interested (just rejected the request without explanation).

So better use paths that don't involve Spotify as a company.

1 hour ago, sdolezalek said:

Anecdotal, but when I added a simple Netgear GS108 switch and moved Roon to another pc (currently my old Win7 desktop) the music sq jumped quite a bit forward.  So....adding ethernet and a cheap switch was an easy tradeoff over getting Roon off my HQPlayer machine.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I've also heard on this forum that the loopback drivers work, which is simplest way to do it.

I can confirm what Miska says: in my win10 system, the simple and free Virtual Audio Cable loopback driver works without problems (as input) with hqplayer, as long as the flow frequency is constant (that should be Spotify case, it seems).

I tried using qobuz, youtube and even wmp radio streams: all work well if flow frequency doesn't change. If it does, you have to manually adjust hqplayer input frequency, but that should apply to tidal/qobuz files only... 

Hqplayer input functionality is a great idea

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Anecdotal, but when I added a simple Netgear GS108 switch and moved Roon to another pc (currently my old Win7 desktop) the music sq jumped quite a bit forward.  So....adding ethernet and a cheap switch was an easy tradeoff over getting Roon off my HQPlayer machine.

Ted:  Thanks. That was the lightbulb that went off in my head when I was reading a thread on NAS configurations -- in that I was always assuming I needed another computer to separate Roon from HQPlayer, but putting it on the NAS right next to the Music Library seemed like an easy fix. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, of course, from HQPlayer Client, HQPDcontrol, or other control application. The ones you select from the Settings/Preferences dialog are only the startup defaults.

But you cannot change filters or dithers/modulators without stopping.

I use Roon.

But if you don't want to do it, or if it's too much trouble, forget it.

alex

Very pleased with the newly arrived mac mini M1.

Does ASDM7EC/48 to 256 using polysinc ext2 with everything so far, except 24-192 which needed either ASDM5EC or easier filter.

Remains to try dsf128 & dsf256 files.

Then 2 channel convolution ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

12 minutes ago, mfalcon said:

But can I transcode 48base to 44.1-base?

Yes, with a suitable filter. Manual on HQPlayer Desktop and help pages on HQPlayer Embedded has information about possible conversion ratios for each filter.

19 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Does ASDM7EC/48 to 256 using polysinc ext2 with everything so far, except 24-192 which needed either ASDM5EC or easier filter.

I just configure some -2s filter for Nx rates and that solves the problem for 192 etc. While keeping ext2 for 44.1/48k rates.

42 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Remains to try dsf128 & dsf256 files

Easy lifting comparatively.  Filters are non-issue and assume you stay with wide and IIRC in DSD settings.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, Miska said:

You enter the share address like "//192.168.1.10/music" and then username and password for it. It will end up mounted under "/smb" path.

@Miska My share has no username and no password (LMS) and if I leave both fields blank, will it mount anyway?

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

It is not possible to change filters/modulators without reinitialization, so Play has to stop.  

I understand. I just want the sound to stop once I've made the changes and hit "OK" on the Preferences pane, and *NOT* when I simply open the Preferences pane.

1 hour ago, skipspence said:

@Miska My share has no username and no password (LMS) and if I leave both fields blank, will it mount anyway?

I don't know... I've only tested with Samba server with username and password (read-only account).

1 hour ago, asiufy said:

I understand. I just want the sound to stop once I've made the changes and hit "OK" on the Preferences pane, and *NOT* when I simply open the Preferences pane.

That's how it goes when you use for example HQPlayer Client.

Settings/Preferences dialog is not supposed to be used regularly. Instead all short term changes are supposed to happen from the front-end GUI, not from the back-end server (HQPlayer Desktop).

Note, you can run HQPlayer Client or HQPDcontrol in parallel with Roon. Roon is just pretty limited in a way it is able to use HQPlayer. (it is stuck to early HQPlayer v3 level)

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I just configure some -2s filter for Nx rates and that solves the problem for 192 etc. While keeping ext2 for 44.1/48k rates.

But I am able to do 96/48 to ASDM7EC without issue ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen B-side(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu A-side(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>uspbc>iso regen(clones lpsu split>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.