IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, Yviena said:

But then why when HQplayer is basically locked to those threads I've assigned, a simple re initialization of the filter/modulator etc when going into HQplayer settings increases the  thread load from 60% to 95-100% when playing back music.

I've verified that the thread distribution for HQplayer  is exactly the same between the 2 assigned cores between initialization, and there's nothing else running on the assigned cores either, at this point I'm  just confused as monitoring software shows the threads/load to be the exact same yet load is different.

Try the same on Linux for some comparison fun... Plus you don't need to assign anything or mess with anything else either. It just works with HQPlayer assigning it's own work.

macOS even does things right on it's own without any help!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

31 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Tim at Kitsune thought it was a driver issue in the chain but one that no one is in a hurry to fix as there are only two DACs that will accept 1.536 PCM.

I can count at least five devices needing this data rate. Plus likely also Denafrips which I didn't count in yet.

Anyway, I know the issue and have a solution. :D

2 hours ago, Miska said:

3.25.6, it was online for more than 6 months before 3.x went out of service.

Does that mean it is not possible to download it anymore?  ...asking for a friend. ;)

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I can count at least five devices needing this data rate. Plus likely also Denafrips which I didn't count in yet.

Glad to hear you have a solution. Five devices now, guess I am behind the times. Thanks 

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Glad to hear you have a solution. Five devices now, guess I am behind the times. Thanks 

Holo Spring 2 and May. T+A HA 200, SD 3100 HV, SDV 3100 HV. And then bunch of Denafrips devices at least. And likely something from Singxer etc.

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

Holo Spring 2 and May. T+A HA 200, SD 3100 HV, SDV 3100 HV. And then bunch of Denafrips devices at least. And likely something from Singxer etc.

Wow! The T+A devices accept 1.536 mHz, too? Do they know about this at Herford? 🤔🙂

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Just now, Holzohr said:

Wow! The T+A devices accept 1.536 mHz, too? Do they know about this at Herford? 🤔🙂

I don't know about that (or very interested either), but they do accept DSD1024. Which is the same from USB point of view.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

No, at the bottom of the page here:

https://www.signalyst.com/custom.html

Are HQPlayer-Embedded and HQPlayerOS the same thing? I'm confused because on the page there are different sections describing each and under HQOS it says HQPlayer-Embedded is included which made me think it was a separate thing.

If it is a bootable image, do I need to have a linux based OS on the hard drive? 

Ah ok. 

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

I don't know about that (or very interested either), but they do accept DSD1024. Which is the same from USB point of view.

Ah ok. I thought PCM 1.536 was the topic.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 minute ago, tedstrikerdet said:

Are HQPlayer-Embedded and HQPlayerOS the same thing?

No, HQPlayer Embedded is a player software.

HQPlayer OS is a full custom OS built specifically for running HQPlayer Embedded and nothing else.

3 minutes ago, tedstrikerdet said:

If it is a bootable image, do I need to have a linux based OS on the hard drive?

No, nothing. You don't even need hard drive. You just need some boot media like USB memory stick.

It includes everything from boot loader to the full OS including HQPlayer Embedded installed on it.

1 minute ago, Holzohr said:

Ah ok. I thought PCM 1.536 was the topic.

From technical perspective it doesn't make a difference (if you know how this works). Only difference is one bit in the USB device descriptor flagging it as DSD instead of PCM.

4 minutes ago, tedstrikerdet said:

Are HQPlayer-Embedded and HQPlayerOS the same thing? I'm confused because on the page there are different sections describing each and under HQOS it says HQPlayer-Embedded is included which made me think it was a separate thing.

HQPlayer Embedded exists on many Linux distros, and also on Jussi's own HQP OS.  The fact that the HQP OS is an entire tweaked minimalist OS means it can be booted from a USB thumb drive with nothing else (or Windows10 in my case) on the hard drive.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

File still dangles on the server, email me for URL. But it won't stay there forever. I gave a notice over a year before and kept the last version online for seven months for people to download. The amount of download requests for a version that is way over a year old surprises me a little.

And I will certainly soon delete the ancient files from the server for good. Gone, done and forgotten in dusty history.

Yeah, I understand. I had v3 installed, and simply listened to the music. I don't even have a monitor for that PC, but use Remote desktop. In the mean time I have gone to v4, and for some crazy reason checked if there was newer version and there was. After that the same question crossed my mind for v3.
Maybe an auto update feature would be a nice feature to have. Anyhow, thank you for letting me know, I will reach out to you via mail.

PS - What would be the reason you wouldn't keep the latest v3 release available for download for those who purchased v3 in the past and didn't migrate to v4?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

So I am interested in HQP OS. Is it as simple as downloading it from the site to a usb stick then setting your pc to boot from the thumb drive? Also what is the name of the HQP OS file? I went there but could not id the file. Oh can I run HQP into a sonic orbiter ?

14 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Maybe an auto update feature would be a nice feature to have. Anyhow, thank you for letting me know, I will reach out to you via mail.

It is bad for both the servers and in case there's a problem with update. And bad for OEM things. Rather than pushing update to everyone, I let people update at their own pace. I think it is better for everyone.

17 minutes ago, mirekti said:

What would be the reason you wouldn't keep the latest v3 release available for download for those who purchased v3 in the past and didn't migrate to v4?

Same goes for v1 (from 2008) and v2 too. Reason is that these versions are not maintained nor supported anymore, they may be even completely broken on latest OS releases. I gave over one year notice period for v3 going out of service for people to download and archive it if they wanted. Microsoft isn't providing downloads for old versions of Windows anymore either. If you look for Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 for example. Or Adobe for first versions of Photoshop either.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Does that mean it might work on non-intel stuff in future? 

If so, I'll love you forever :D

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Because there are a couple of people asking about HQP OS/HQP Embedded, I'm going to add a link to a detailed post I wrote recently about how to set it up and get it running. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

HQPlayer Embedded exists on many Linux distros, and also on Jussi's own HQP OS.  The fact that the HQP OS is an entire tweaked minimalist OS means it can be booted from a USB thumb drive with nothing else (or Windows10 in my case) on the hard drive.

Hey Ted, I think I recall a recent run on the thread were you implemented hqplayer os/embedded and there was some how to directions outlined.
was this done on your new Mac mini with the m1 chip? Or was it Mac laptop. Or am I way off on this? 

And there it is k6davis, thanks for that. 
still a bit foggy on this though. For the sake of clarity I guess my question is can hqplayer OS run on a Mac mini m1. I have desktop running right now and I send signal direct to dac via a icron USB ranger (fibre media converter) so no naa in my case. As well I am not using roon anymore just strait HQPlayer and the HQPlayer app for remote control. 
thanks 

Hi fellow HQPlayer lovers

Is anyone out there successfully using macOS NAA 4.11  ?

And can you show me proof (screenshot 😁) because it's driving me mad. I've tried so many things.

I can't get it working on a 2018 Mac Mini Intel i5 

Windows on the same Mac (Bootcamp) works fine, so it cannot be network related. Same Mac on the same network etc.

But I can't stand windows and can't use a Linux NAA in this particular system. 

29 minutes ago, Yviena said:

@Miska just curious but when you meant the AMD optimized build was Linux only, is that because  it's not possible to do the required  optimizations on windows, or that it takes much more work to do it?

It is technically difficult for various reasons.

I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a license for HQPlayer.  I am finding it does a better job than my Sony TA-ZH1ES Headphone AMP/DAC's "DSD Remastering mode".  I am running the software on a Ryzen 7 3570H Mobile CPU (Beelink GTR Mini PC) with 4 cores/8 threads using Windows 10 Pro and can't get beyond DSD128 without stuttering even though the overall CPU load is about 50%.  I did notice one or two threads spiked at 100% in system usage graphs.  I am using the settings below for good results with Redbook,  but wondered if using the Linux version of HQPlayer will solve my attempts at DSD256.  Has someone made a guide for installing the custom kernels required on Ubuntu 20 LTS?

My current settings that work well for DSD128: -

Oversampling x1 : poly-sinc-long-lp       { I think this sounds better than others}

Modulator: ASDM7EC

Bitrate: 44x128