Jump to content
IGNORED

HQ Player


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Any other player works with Merging driver. HQP doesn't even start even after a re-installation. 

Could it be a missing/changed library? Maybe a graphic library?!

Any help is welcomed.

 

Did you reset HQPlayer settings by clearing "%LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer" folder? (no need to delete the license key from there though)

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the volume button be red in HQP?

I understand Beethoven is hot, but... that hot?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jacques_racine said:

Why would the volume button be red in HQP?

I understand Beethoven is hot, but... that hot?

Because it's distorting. When that is the case, you need to lower your Volume Max setting - put it at -3dB. Keep an eye on Limited, it should always be at "0".

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ipoci said:

Any macOS Big Sur user with NAA?

I just upgrade my MacBookPro from Mojave to BigSur ... HQP Desktop 3.25.6 doesn't work anymore with NAA

I also tried HQP Desktop 4.0 just to double check and but no sound at all ...

 

HQPD4.0 just show additional info (see below)

 

Any clue?

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.56.55 PM.png

I'll be using NAA with my new MAC mini M1 > Sonore UltraRendu. I will post my results soon. Hope it works, otherwise it's going back, fingers crossed

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Just tried HQP 4.10.0 on Mac Mini M1 with 16GB Ram.  Can run ASDM7EC using Sinc-L filter with DSF64 files being converted to DSD256.  But for Flac or similar, there are breaks in the frequency of once every 7-8 seconds. So need to lower to Sinc-M for converting redbook music into DSD256.

Are you running anything else on the M1 other than HQPlayer? Anyone try upsampling to DSD512?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Miska said:

 

LNS15 is good if you can do at least 352.8k, but not so much for lower rates. For 192k you should use NS9. For Chord, it would be optimal to feed it always 705.6/768k rate. You could try poly-sinc-short-mp and poly-sinc-ext2.

 

I'm stuck using optical connection, so 192 is best I can do. Does that change what filters in pcm I should choose to smooth out sound? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Miska said:

 

On macOS you can get DSD256 on many DACs through CoreAudio, as long as the DAC can represent 705.6/768k PCM capability (like RME ADI-2, which is always DoP on all OS).

 

exaSound works up to DSD256 also through the CoreAudio driver, you don't need ASIO for that.

 

That’s great to hear. Thanks for correcting me. Somehow I got stuck with the impression that DoP on Mac was limited to 128.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 11:51 PM, sig8 said:

Is there any document or post which explains sound characteristics of various filters and modulators in HQP? 

the user manual does, a bit.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

I'm stuck using optical connection, so 192 is best I can do. Does that change what filters in pcm I should choose to smooth out sound? 

 

No, the filter is independent of this. But noise shaper operation depends on sampling rate. For flat dithers like TPDF and Gauss1, the sampling rate doesn't matter either.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Just tried HQP 4.10.0 on Mac Mini M1 with 16GB Ram.  Can run ASDM7EC using Sinc-L filter with DSF64 files being converted to DSD256.  But for Flac or similar, there are breaks in the frequency of once every 7-8 seconds. So need to lower to Sinc-M for converting redbook music into DSD256.

 

Note that the filter selection doesn't apply for DSD sources. Only modulator selection and the two settings in "DSD Source Settings" dialog.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a X-SABRE Pro DAC with a ES9038PRO D/A chip.

There are two settings on my DAC that I am wondering about regarding HQPlayer. I am using SDM and 44,1 x 128 as output.

The DAC has a setting for DSD Filters:

Cut-off frequency of DSD digital filter.
47K (default), 50K, 50K, 70K

Which one do you recommend that I use?

 

I suppose that I also should turn off the DAC built in dither function and use HQPlayers modulater instead.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sgb said:

I got a X-SABRE Pro DAC with a ES9038PRO D/A chip.

There are two settings on my DAC that I am wondering about regarding HQPlayer. I am using SDM and 44,1 x 128 as output.

The DAC has a setting for DSD Filters:

Cut-off frequency of DSD digital filter.
47K (default), 50K, 50K, 70K

Which one do you recommend that I use?

 

At DSD128 I would stick to the default lowest value, especially if you use ASDM7EC.

 

9 minutes ago, sgb said:

I suppose that I also should turn off the DAC built in dither function and use HQPlayers modulater instead.

 

Not sure where on the path that would be, but yes it should not be in use.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Miska said:

In the log I can just see the NAA being disconnected when playback is started. You may want to check what kind of error there is at the NAA side.

I've a second Mac still on Mojave and HQP-NAA is perfectly working ... 

I'll try to do troubleshooting on side NAA when managed by BigSur unit

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Yeah, not sure if the Windows driver behaves similarly as Linux and macOS driver does... I've only tried on Intel chipsets where the Windows driver worked fine.

 

@Miska Wanted to let you know I just figured it out. You have to mess with the settings in the ASIO control panel and increase the ASIO buffer and set bits to 16 in the control panel

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning All-

Need help ASAP-

Running Apple Mac mini(2018) Mojave

Where can I find the preference files for HQPlayer Desktop 4.9.0?

Mucked up HQPlayer settings and I need to remove the preference files to get things back on track.

Thanks,

Scott

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Miska said:

 

For higher rates like DSD256, certainly ASDM7EC if you have enough CPU power to do it. Otherwise, and for DSD512 ASDM7. Depending on DAC's noise filters, for lower rates like DSD64 or DSD128 ASDM5EC (or ASDM5) may be a better option if the DAC has only a gentle noise filter.

 

At DSD64, for example with most ESS/Cirrus based DACs I would use ASDM5EC. While with AKM/TI based and Holo Audio DACs I would use ASDM7EC at DSD64 rate.

 

IOW, ASDM5(EC) is sort of safe bet for lower DSD rates to reduce amount of left-over ultrasonic noise in DAC output, with somewhat less theoretical dynamic range than ASDM7(EC).

 

AMSDM7 is a strange beast that works nice on certain category of DACs at highest rates like DSD512 and especially DSD1024.

 

 

Would be great to be able to measure DAVE in DSD+ mode to see how it behaves, then I could give a more specific recommendation. For most cases at the moment, DSD256 with ASDM7EC modulator gives very good results.

 

This is a very interesting post since I just realized the modulators can be DAC / DAC chip dependant as well.

 

I have a DAC with AKM 4493 chip.

The SINAD measurement for the DAC is 112.

 

I just tested out after your last message that my intel nuc can play DSD128 (44.1 X 128) max with both ASDM7EC and also ASDM5EC.

 

So which one is suited for AKM 4493 and will be technically superior / well suited?

 

What's the relevance of 48x128 sample rates. Are they technically better than the 44.1x 128 setting?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird. "Before" music would take 1 seconde to start playing in Roon+HQP setup.

Since either upgrading to 4.9X or upgrading to Big Sur, not sure, it now takes a good 4 seconds.

Any idea?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all this talk about Roon 1.8 I thought I'd give Roon another try, this time Roon core running on my office desktop (rather than same machine as HQP), and pointed to my dedicated Win10 HQplayer (where I typically would simply use drag-n-drop or HQPDcontrol app on phone).. I am currently running HQP 4.90 and decided to try and compare sq of same files with Roon-based access vs local non-Roon drag-n-drop.  This was previously on the same machine so same external hdd was used; now for this temporary test I have two hdds, one connected to HQP machine, one connected to Roon machine.  So far I cannot tell a difference, which is good news.  👍  Previously the sq of drag-n-drop was easily discerned as better.

 

So, question:  since it has been a long time since I used Roon, and since now Roon is serving music to a network instead of local, should I customize anything in Roon to turn off excessive work or noise that Roon may send....such as analyzing tracks, etc?  Sorry if this has been covered...point me to the right threads if so...thx.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Did you reset HQPlayer settings by clearing "%LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer" folder? (no need to delete the license key from there though)

 

OK, after clearing the folder, HQPlayer now starts but I get the following error message:

"OMP: Info #266: OMP_NESTED variable deprecated, please use OMP_MAX_ACTIVE_LEVELS instead."

Any ideas what it is and how to go about it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ted_b said:

With all this talk about Roon 1.8 I thought I'd give Roon another try, this time Roon core running on my office desktop (rather than same machine as HQP), and pointed to my dedicated Win10 HQplayer (where I typically would simply use drag-n-drop or HQPDcontrol app on phone).. I am currently running HQP 4.90 and decided to try and compare sq of same files with Roon-based access vs local non-Roon drag-n-drop.  This was previously on the same machine so same external hdd was used; now for this temporary test I have two hdds, one connected to HQP machine, one connected to Roon machine.  So far I cannot tell a difference, which is good news.  👍  Previously the sq of drag-n-drop was easily discerned as better.

 

So, question:  since it has been a long time since I used Roon, and since now Roon is serving music to a network instead of local, should I customize anything in Roon to turn off excessive work or noise that Roon may send....such as analyzing tracks, etc?  Sorry if this has been covered...point me to the right threads if so...thx.

I don't think it is possible to turn off any of that in Roon. And, with Roon on a different machine than HQP it should not matter anyhow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

OK, after clearing the folder, HQPlayer now starts but I get the following error message:

"OMP: Info #266: OMP_NESTED variable deprecated, please use OMP_MAX_ACTIVE_LEVELS instead."

Any ideas what it is and how to go about it? 

 

Broken install... Uninstall HQPlayer and make sure "C:\Program Files\Signalyst" folder doesn't have HQPlayer left-overs. Then reinstall latest HQPlayer.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...